Tyrone v Donegal - Sunday 18th June at 2pm

Started by Fuzzman, May 29, 2017, 10:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Quote from: Jayop on June 22, 2017, 05:14:18 PM
There's no doubt it was. It could even easily be argued it was the best performance since 2008 given it's really the first time we've beaten a top 4 team in the Championship in that time. Our only other good results since then are against the likes of Kildare and Monaghan.

Agree - This was the best performance since 2008.

Consistency and balls needed now going forward

nrico2006

Quote from: Jayop on June 22, 2017, 05:34:51 PM
ha, yeah we beat them too last year.

But this was clearly a miles better performance than that.
Definitely. Last year had an element of luck about it with those two wonder scores
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: WT4E on June 22, 2017, 10:05:12 PM
Quote from: Jayop on June 22, 2017, 05:14:18 PM
There's no doubt it was. It could even easily be argued it was the best performance since 2008 given it's really the first time we've beaten a top 4 team in the Championship in that time. Our only other good results since then are against the likes of Kildare and Monaghan.

Agree - This was the best performance since 2008.

Consistency and balls needed now going forward

Our best performance since the demolition of Dublin in 2008
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Fuzzman

It just shows how long most of us feel it has been since we've threw the shackles off and really went for it and had we taken at least 2 more goal chances it would have been a massive scoreline.

It reminds me a bit of 2007 when we beat Donegal in the semifinal 2.15 to 1.07 and then went on to beat Monaghan in a very competitive (dirty) Ulster final, only to lose to Meath in quarterfinal.
Are we on a similar path this year?

As a matter of interest and without checking wiki, can anyone name the top scorers in the 4 provinces in 2007?

Fuzzman

Did any of ye at the game see this point that Mark Bradley scored where Peter Harte hit an amazing diagonal ball that curled into Bradley's path. Woolie Parkinson was giving out loads about the BBC coverage showing too much replays and that they didn't see this amazing pass from Harte.
I don't remember it myself but a few are saying its the best pass of the year so far.

https://soundcloud.com/sportsjoe-gaa-hour

nrico2006

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 23, 2017, 10:39:55 AM
It just shows how long most of us feel it has been since we've threw the shackles off and really went for it and had we taken at least 2 more goal chances it would have been a massive scoreline.

It reminds me a bit of 2007 when we beat Donegal in the semifinal 2.15 to 1.07 and then went on to beat Monaghan in a very competitive (dirty) Ulster final, only to lose to Meath in quarterfinal.

As a matter of interest and without checking wiki, can anyone name the top scorers in the 4 provinces in 2007?
Pure guess work here. I'll go Cooper in Munster. Tommy Freeman in Ulster, Michael Meehan in Connacht and Tomas Quinn in Leinster. That Donegal game in 2007 was one of my favourite days. Them coming off the hype of the league win. Forget was immense, getting 4 or 5 from play with that Mulgrew goal as good a team goal as I've seen from Tyrone. I remember an early goal in the final (Jordan?). But think they came back at us after us getting a big lead. Was SON fully fit whole 2007?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

vallankumous

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 23, 2017, 02:30:54 PM
Did any of ye at the game see this point that Mark Bradley scored where Peter Harte hit an amazing diagonal ball that curled into Bradley's path. Woolie Parkinson was giving out loads about the BBC coverage showing too much replays and that they didn't see this amazing pass from Harte.
I don't remember it myself but a few are saying its the best pass of the year so far.

https://soundcloud.com/sportsjoe-gaa-hour

I watched it on BBC and the replays took away from a lot of the action so i didn't see it. It was highlighted a lot on social media during and after the game. I don't know if it was a super pass or, a very good pass being used to add more weight to the problem of replays during live coverage.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 23, 2017, 02:37:43 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 23, 2017, 10:39:55 AM

Pure guess work here. I'll go Cooper in Munster. Tommy Freeman in Ulster, Michael Meehan in Connacht and Tomas Quinn in Leinster. That Donegal game in 2007 was one of my favourite days. Them coming off the hype of the league win. Forget was immense, getting 4 or 5 from play with that Mulgrew goal as good a team goal as I've seen from Tyrone. I remember an early goal in the final (Jordan?). But think they came back at us after us getting a big lead. Was SON fully fit whole 2007?

SON struggled with injury that summer and didn't have much influence at all. McGuigan obviously missing too. Dooher took on the role of both that day against Donegal, scored 0-5 I think? He went off injured against Meath too. Tyrone did well to go so far in the circumstances.

Fuzzman

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 23, 2017, 02:37:43 PM

Pure guess work here. I'll go Cooper in Munster. Tommy Freeman in Ulster, Michael Meehan in Connacht and Tomas Quinn in Leinster.

Tommy Freeman is right and the other three were all rather surprising as well.
Sligo won Connacht and it was M Breheny with 0-15

Yeah Dooher had a stormer that day and I think McFadden punched him in the mouth near the end and got sent off.

It's good to see most of the talk all week about how bad Donegal were as it will dampen the expectations about Tyrone. The last thing we need is for people to be talking about us as possible challengers to the Dubs or Kerry.

nrico2006

I wouldn't be so quick to say Tyrone have thrown of the shackles either. I think it was more a case of the players adapting to the opposition, who seemed to part like the red sea when a Tyrone player surged down the middle from around the half way line. Lost count at how many times Donnelly, Cavanagh etc just injected a bit of speed and suddenly moved from outside the 45 to the 21 without even having to evade a tackle. This weakness obviously contributed to Tyrone's game management approach.

nrico2006

Has anybody a number for the amount of catches Colm Cavanagh won on Sunday? After the match it seemed to me like he won 50, but surely in reality it was at least 6.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: ONeill on June 23, 2017, 07:04:36 PM
I see the Gary Glitter chant is back.

What is that and what is it in aid of?

Taylor

Quote from: Taylor on June 19, 2017, 12:25:37 PM
Perhaps I should say he is finished in the role Donegal have played him in.  ::)

The days of being a superhero and box to box are gone

Hate to say it but told you so