Irish Hockey

Started by From the Bunker, August 02, 2018, 07:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on August 06, 2018, 09:39:15 PM
I think that's the important thing. The Soldiers Song is the ROI anthem. If we get a United Ireland we will need a new flag and a new anthem that the entire population can associate with. I for one would be content to sacrifice these for the greater good

+100%

BennyCake

Quote from: michaelg on August 06, 2018, 10:47:43 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 06, 2018, 10:41:01 PM
Quote from: michaelg on August 06, 2018, 10:25:40 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 06, 2018, 10:21:31 PM
Quote from: michaelg on August 06, 2018, 09:28:16 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 06, 2018, 09:22:40 PM
Britains campaign and policies in Ireland has come to this, the stage where the hockey/rugby crowd chose to go neutral. I understand the decision to change the flag/anthem, but it is sad that Irish sport and Ireland as a country has to hide it's national flag and anthem like they are some sort of embarrassment.

Must be one of the few countries in the world that does so, yet it's not the only country with political/racial/religious issues.
It is not the ROI hockey team.  Nor is it the  ROI rugby team.

True, but the Irish anthem and flag pre-dates partition.
This is not that complicated.  Why can't you just be happy for the  success the team has enjoyed?

I haven't said I'm not pleased for the team. They did well. Fair play to them. Never watched hockey in my life until lately. I mightn't ever watch it again but I was glad to see them do well. And it was great to see the whole country behind them.

The anthem/flag issue was brought up by someone, and well, here we are...
Can you not see how using Ireland's Call might help to get the whole island behing the team?

Well personally I can't abide Ireland's Call (or the bollix who wrote it), but that didn't stop me hoping they'd do well. I can't speak for everyone else, but it did seem to unify the team.

As I said before, I understand the reasons for neutrality.

But on a similar note, is the hockey example not encouraging for you (as a northern unionist, I assume), that with similar ventures in different fields, and people being inclusive, and that if a UI ever came about, that there is nothing to fear from it?

michaelg

Quote from: BennyCake on August 06, 2018, 10:58:19 PM
Britains campaign and policies in Ireland has come to this, the stage where the hockey/rugby crowd chose to go neutral. I understand the decision to change the flag/anthem, but it is sad that Irish sport and Ireland as a country has to hide it's national flag and anthem like they are some sort of embarrassment.

Must be one of the few countries in the world that does so, yet it's not the only country with political/racial/religious issues.

This is not that complicated.  Why can't you just be happy for the  success the team has enjoyed?

I haven't said I'm not pleased for the team. They did well. Fair play to them. Never watched hockey in my life until lately. I mightn't ever watch it again but I was glad to see them do well. And it was great to see the whole country behind them.

Can you not see how using Ireland's Call might help to get the whole island behing the team?

Well personally I can't abide Ireland's Call (or the bollix who wrote it), but that didn't stop me hoping they'd do well. I can't speak for everyone else, but it did seem to unify the team.

But on a similar note, is the hockey example not encouraging for you (as a northern unionist, I assume), that with similar ventures in different fields, and people being inclusive, and that if a UI ever came about, that there is nothing to fear from it?
Firstly, it's not a question of neutrality.  At the risk of repeating myself, it's not the ROI team.
As for your point about inclusivity, is it not a bit ironic making this point when you, and other posters, are complaining about using an anthem that appeals to people from all backgrounds on the island?

BennyCake

Quote from: michaelg on August 06, 2018, 11:05:40 PM

Firstly, it's not a question of neutrality.  At the risk of repeating myself, it's not the ROI team.
As for your point about inclusivity, is it not a bit ironic making this point when you, and other posters, are complaining about using an anthem that appeals to people from all backgrounds on the island?

OK so neutrality was the wrong word.

It might appeal to others, unify the team etc. But play Danny Boy, I'll Tell Me Ma, anything but Ireland's Call.

PS. As I said, the anthem issue I understand. It was literally Ireland's Call that is the issue for me.

Now, for my question? ;)

Baile Brigín 2

Irelands Call is a well meant compromise to a tricky issue.

The problem is that its a turgid song.

Eamonnca1

Well personally I can't abide Ireland's Call (or the bollix who wrote it)...

Let me stop you right there. What have you got against Phil Coulter?

BennyCake

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 06, 2018, 11:47:32 PM

He's a pompous p***k. Can't stand the bollix.

Eamonnca1

I saw him live lately and he came off as an ordinary enough fella.

Jim Bob

Quote from: BennyCake on August 06, 2018, 11:59:53 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 06, 2018, 11:47:32 PM

He's a pompous p***k. Can't stand the bollix.

Have you had any personal dealings with him ?

Capt Pat

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 06, 2018, 10:53:09 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on August 06, 2018, 09:39:15 PM
I think that's the important thing. The Soldiers Song is the ROI anthem. If we get a United Ireland we will need a new flag and a new anthem that the entire population can associate with. I for one would be content to sacrifice these for the greater good

+100%

There is nothing wrong with the tricolour for a united Ireland. It represents peace between catholics(green) and protestant(orange). Some people simply do not want a United Ireland and no united Ireland flag will be acceptable to them.

michaelg

Quote from: BennyCake on August 06, 2018, 11:17:31 PM
Quote from: michaelg on August 06, 2018, 11:05:40 PM

OK so neutrality was the wrong word.

It might appeal to others, unify the team etc. But play Danny Boy, I'll Tell Me Ma, anything but Ireland's Call.

PS. As I said, the anthem issue I understand. It was literally Ireland's Call that is the issue for me.

Now, for my question? ;)
Nothing to fear perhaps, but still doesn't mean that I want a UI.  The same argument could be turned on its head for Nationalists remaining in the UK in NI.