Dogs and House Rules

Started by BennyCake, February 07, 2017, 02:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

A few short years ago, I never knew of a dog that got over the back door. Now they never leave the house. Call to someone's house these days and if there's not a half dozen Jack Russells jumping over you on the sofa, a Labrador is eating your ham sandwich off your plate or a Rottweiler is eyeing you up because you're sitting in his armchair. Seriously, what the feck is going on? When did all this become the norm?

Do you have a dog, and what rules do you insist on?

Do they live indoors or do they never get over the door?

Does it cause arguments in the family?

Hardy

Animals in the house? Unhygienic unless they've been taught to use toilet paper. As for catshit in the living room in a so-called "litter tray" - unbelievable.

armaghniac

I might have a dog in the house, but I'd never give them the wifi password.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

I suppose some dogs would struggle outside. Those little toy dogs like Maltese etc. Cats. Urrgh.

general_lee

Well I don't see the point in paying hundreds/thousands on a lapdog only to leave it chained up outside in the yard

lurganblue

I've a house dog.  We got her when she was 4 and already house trained. Hard work was done. It gets put into the utility room to sleep at night and in general doesnt be allowed upstairs near any of the bedrooms etc.

Gets over the door rightly. a right few walks per week and a decent garden to run around in (all well and good till it digs up shite and rolls in it ffs)

BennyCake

Re: big garden. I would've thought it was cruel keeping a dog in the house all the time is nearly as bad as chaining it in yard. Surely a dog needs stimulating, doing doggy things (digging, running, sniffing, chasing etc) rather than cooped up in a house.

I know a few people have dogs in small houses, and a back yard 2 feet long. That to me is cruel. If you don't have the space (garden/yard), why get a dog?

laoislad

Animals should not be let in a house IMO.
When we moved into our house the wife (then girlfriend) had a cat. I refused to let it live with us so she had to give it to her parents ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

Quote from: general_lee on February 07, 2017, 03:33:38 PM
Well I don't see the point in paying hundreds/thousands on a lapdog only to leave it chained up outside in the yard
I don't see the point in paying hundreds/thousands on any dog!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

Quote from: general_lee on February 07, 2017, 03:33:38 PM
Theresa May doesn't mind as long as she gets a deal for Brexit
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

screenexile

Hate animals... dogs/cats get tae f**k!!!

bennydorano

Cat in our house, rules the roost and is our de facto youngest child. Sleeping in the hotpress on the towels as I type.

GJL

Quote from: bennydorano on February 07, 2017, 05:49:35 PM
Cat in our house, rules the roost and is our de facto youngest child. Sleeping in the hotpress on the towels as I type.

That is disgusting.

ONeill

Was like you all once. Hated the thought of a dog inside or even cats about atall. About 6 years ago a wild(ish) cat would sit on my boiler. Now and again I'd leave it out something. After a few months it'd make its way to our door until one day I toul it to come in, in cat talk. The thing has no voice and cowers from any contact. 6 years later she's still strolling around the house, still no voice, still timid. She'll stand in front of you and stare you out when she needs outside to use the lavatory. Just sleeps and strolls around. Causes no bother. No real companionship as she doesn't like humans. Looks at me like as if she'll kill me some night. Stands in front of the fireplace the odd time and looks at me to light her.

Strange oul relationship. Six years of lookin at each other now and again. Get the impression she was mistreated. When she dies there'll be no more but I'd like to think I've made her life a bit easier. She probably doesn't give a fook.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: ONeill on February 07, 2017, 07:00:32 PM
Was like you all once. Hated the thought of a dog inside or even cats about atall. About 6 years ago a wild(ish) cat would sit on my boiler. Now and again I'd leave it out something. After a few months it'd make its way to our door until one day I toul it to come in, in cat talk. The thing has no voice and cowers from any contact. 6 years later she's still strolling around the house, still no voice, still timid. She'll stand in front of you and stare you out when she needs outside to use the lavatory. Just sleeps and strolls around. Causes no bother. No real companionship as she doesn't like humans. Looks at me like as if she'll kill me some night. Stands in front of the fireplace the odd time and looks at me to light her.

Strange oul relationship. Six years of lookin at each other now and again. Get the impression she was mistreated. When she dies there'll be no more but I'd like to think I've made her life a bit easier. She probably doesn't give a fook.

Sounds like marriage...