Britannia Rules The Waves... of Lough Foyle?

Started by BennyCake, November 18, 2016, 04:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

So, the Brits say they own all of Lough Foyle.

Lough-stealing backstards!

omaghjoe

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

It starts at Culmore Point Derry City on one side and runs up to shroove Inishowen.  On other side it starts at lisahally and runs up to magilligan

armaghniac

Interesting that this should become an issue now. I have to wonder if it is somehow related to the court cases ongoing, as it as clear example of a mess if Brexit occurs and Lough Foyle is regulated by a cross border body which connects to the Good Friday Agreement.

Actually there is a another school of thought that all waters around NI belong to Dublin. The 1920 act provided that the 6 counties could secede from Ireland, but didn't clearly state that they could bring the territorial waters with them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Ireland has never accepted the UK's claim to the whole of Lough Foyle, according to the Irish Dept of Foreign Affairs.

Lord Shaftsbury owns Lough Neagh apparently though.

omaghjoe

So what about the River Foyle between Tyrone and Donegal I always thought it was down the middle of the river?

snoopdog

omaghjoe

Quote from: snoopdog on November 18, 2016, 08:58:29 PM
Carlingford  lough also.

FFS dont start about that, them Armagh ones will be claiming part of it is thiers again

Orior

Quote from: BennyCake on November 18, 2016, 04:39:07 PM
So, the Brits say they own all of Lough Foyle.

Lough-stealing backstards!

LOL.

And then of course there is Rockall

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockall
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

BennyCake

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 18, 2016, 09:00:15 PM
Carlingford  lough also.

FFS dont start about that, them Armagh ones will be rightfully claiming part of it is thiers again

grounded

Quote from: BennyCake on November 18, 2016, 09:50:16 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on November 18, 2016, 09:00:15 PM
Carlingford  lough also.

FFS dont start about that, them Armagh ones will be rightfully claiming part of it is thiers again

I remember well the British minesweeper patrolling carlingford lough. There was numerous incidents were they illegally boarded vessels including (charlie haughey 's yacht ). At one point The much larger le Aoife actually patrolled opposite it, I think the Aoife was deployed in response to one of these boardings along with an official complaint from the Irish government(not that the British gave 2 flying f#@ks).

Denn Forever

What precious substance has been discovered that it is so important to know who owns it?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

manfromdelmonte

We need the Wolfetones to write a song about this