£50M - What would you do?

Started by An Fear Rua, June 24, 2010, 08:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fear Rua

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/10408966.stm

Biggest share of Maze stadium money 'to go the GAA'

Maze stadium plan The multi-sports stadium plan was abandoned

The GAA is to receive the lion's share of money earmarked for the building of a sports stadium on the site of the former Maze prison the BBC understands.

The GAA is thought to be in line for £50m, football £30m and rugby is to receive about £20m.

The Executive has still to sign off on the plans.

However, it is understood they have been approved by the Department of Culture and Leisure.

There are expected to be developments in the next two to three weeks.

The plan is dependent on the Irish Football Association reaching a resolution with Linfield over the running of Windsor Park.

A meeting is being held on Thursday night over that.

A proposal to build a stadium for football, Gaelic football and rugby at the site of the former Maze prison site was abandoned in 2009.

More than £3.5m was paid in consultancy fees for the project before the decision to shelve it.
Its Grim up North

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

FermGael

I would think that a good chunk of it will be heading for Casement.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

An Fear Rua

Quote from: FermGael on June 24, 2010, 08:30:50 PM

You can imagine the fun and games should they use some of it to put a new cistern in the Gerry Arthur's' ladies loo....
Its Grim up North

ziggysego

Quote from: An Fear Rua on June 24, 2010, 08:41:41 PM
Quote from: FermGael on June 24, 2010, 08:30:50 PM

You can imagine the fun and games should they use some of it to put a new cistern in the Gerry Arthur's' ladies loo....

Somehow the BP leak off the coast of the US springs to mind.
Testing Accessibility

Cannonball

For that money could you get a flux capacitor?
Do you believe in God?......I don't understand the question.

magpie seanie

Maybe ye should use 10M of it to build an Ulster Centre of excellence near where your provincial secretary is from. I'm told that's what all the smart people are doing.  ::)

delboy

Seems to be a win win situation, im glad the original proposal fell through as the maze stadium for football and rugby would have been a disaster IMO. The GAA always seemed to be in favour of the larger stadium at the maze site so they can go ahead with it and football and rugby can do what they need, everyones a winner.
Hopefully the conflict resolution center thing will be part of it as well, i think that has the potential to be a fantastic money spinner as an american tourist trap.