£150 per hour - not enough?

Started by Master Yoda, May 12, 2010, 08:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Thats nonsense! Neuroscience/surgery is the toughest, longest post doctoral residency program!

behind the wire

I wasnt really planning on getting involved in this debate but here goes:

1) we are talking only a very small number of cases where this level of fee is payable, known as very high cost cases (examples include murders/ terrorism cases - all of which are usually high profile)

2) the people on here that are complaining about the amounts being paid in legal aid will also be the first ones to complain when someone is the victim of a miscarriage of justice ie only rich people can get aquitted because they can affard the best brrister.

3) it is very hard to make it as a barrister and it is not an easy job. if peple think it is so easy they should simply represent themselves.

personally speaking i think the current rate of remuneration acceptable but that is a matter for the barristers to argue themselves. the problem i have is that some posters on here try to make it out as if the bar is some sort of conspiracy organisation with the sole objective of fleecing the public.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

orangeman

Court hears Carroll legal bill case is settled

An action by one of the biggest law firms in the country against developer Liam Carroll for €3.3m in legal fees has been settled.

William Fry had taken the action in the Commercial Court over Mr Carroll's failure to pay the remainder of a €4.8m bill after claiming it was excessive.The bill arises from a 63-day Commercial Court action in 2009 over the redevelopment of the Square Shopping Centre in Tallaght.

That case was dismissed and an order for costs in Mr Carroll's favour was made. However, a stay on that applies pending an appeal to the Supreme Court.

William Fry conducted Mr Carroll's defence in the case and served a bill of costs for €4.87m on him.

Mr Carroll paid €1.4m of that during the hearing and the firm claimed €3.3m was outstanding.

The developer had disputed this claiming the bill was excessive and a previous hearing was told he had instructed other solicitors to bring a complaint to The Law Society.

The Commercial Court was today told the case had been settled and could be adjourned generally on consent.

orangeman