Cricket march fixing scandal-what am I missing?

Started by Capt Pat, November 04, 2011, 12:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

The News of the World paid £150,000 for information about who was fixing matches from the man who organised the match fixing? Is that right or wrong?

Capt Pat

A little bit of reading seems to tell me the news of the world rigged a game for their own entertainment and went look match fixing by foreigners? I don't understand this. The agent and 3 players got jail today.

Tony Baloney

Dunno if they actually paid the money. I think it was *literally* on the table whilst they filmed the cricketers saying they were gonna bowl 3 no balls at specific times during an England v Pakistan test last summer.

I could be wrong though.

Capt Pat

My problem is the news of the world staged the crime themselves. There was no real crime, no real investigative journalism.

deiseach

Right. Butt et al were bent, simple as. The NotW did cricket a favour by bringing out into the open what everyone knew was happening

screenexile

Quote from: Capt Pat on November 04, 2011, 02:01:28 AM
My problem is the news of the world staged the crime themselves. There was no real crime, no real investigative journalism.

Well every man and his dog knew that cricket was bent in Asia and the NOTW went out and proved it. Yes they probably phone hacked and used every underhand tactic to do it but it brings to the forefront a real problem cricket has been suffering. I would imagine fewer players will sign up for betting scams having seen jail terms handed down to others!!

Capt Pat

Ok so if cricket is bent in Asia you go to Asia and investigate it wear a wire and record the conversations of match fixing. That is real proof that cricket in Asia is bent. Setting up match fixing in England using an Asian under cover reporter and NOTWs money is not.

NOTW paid the money the no balls were bowled and they never got the money back. The judge said they knew what they were doing. They overpaid for those no balls imho. The NOTW staged thst crime it didn't emerge from Asian cricket it eas just a charade to make the Pakistani cricketers look bad. They ended up getting heavy jail sentences for what looks like entrapment.

Maiden1

Plenty of others caught giving information to bookmakers, Shane Warne and Mark Waugh helping the bookmakers out by giving them information about the 'weather' (why the bookies didn't just ring up a meteorologist is a different question).  Alec Stewart the England captain and plenty of others had allegations of match fixing as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/4774949/Stewart-in-shock-at-Indian-allegations.html
There are no proofs, only opinions.

David McKeown

Really shows you how bad the sentencing guidelines on offences are though when Butt got two and half years for this with no previous whilst others can commit manslaughter, aggravated burglary, death by dangerous driving etc and get shorter sentences. Very harsh if you ask me
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

passedit

Quote from: Maiden1 on November 04, 2011, 10:49:32 AM
Plenty of others caught giving information to bookmakers, Shane Warne and Mark Waugh helping the bookmakers out by giving them information about the 'weather' (why the bookies didn't just ring up a meteorologist is a different question).  Alec Stewart the England captain and plenty of others had allegations of match fixing as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/4774949/Stewart-in-shock-at-Indian-allegations.html

Always crooked and easy to rig. Look at one of the 'greatest' games ever played the 1981 Headingly test. Aussie players openly admitted making a killing by betting against their own side to lose during the course of the test when the odds were heavily stacked in their favour. No action taken because they weren't fuzzie wuzzies.

How is this any different to the soccer players who were betting heavily on first throw ins bookings etc?
Don't Panic

omagh_gael

dead right david. The sentencing was a joke compared to some of the horrendous stuff others get away with.

Capt Pat

Quote from: omagh_gael on November 04, 2011, 03:56:47 PM
dead right david. The sentencing was a joke compared to some of the horrendous stuff others get away with.

50,000 for each no ball to someone from the third world for a crime staged by NOTW. Where are they now?