FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 24, 2018, 10:08:29 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 24, 2018, 12:48:21 AM
Oh dear. I thought you had some sense, Mick.

He has nothing to lose. He's not trying to build up a his reputation as a Manager at this stage. He is on good money and International Football suits an older Manager as a lot of your time is free time as games only come in pockets during the year. He knows the Irish international setup and how it works. Expectations are at the lowest in years.  This will take the pressure of initially. If he fails the ''Sure we don't have the players line will be rolled out''!

Despite what people think. Marin O'Neill did quiet well during his tenure. Just the slide toward the end was ''Tsunami' like. Between results, style of play, leaked stuff, player management with Arthur and Rice.

We all know Ireland lack players, but that didn't save O'Neill.

To be honest, two big defeats was all O'Neill had in the last year. Goals were an issue, but the team has changed a lot in the last 18 months or so.

I hope Mick does well, but I fear this will severely damage his reputation. Ok so he won't get a top 4 to manage, but his last stint and decent enough club reputation could be tarnished after this.

Itchy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 22, 2018, 09:39:46 AM
Quote from: Itchy on November 21, 2018, 09:17:20 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 21, 2018, 05:10:56 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 21, 2018, 04:54:20 PM
No one on here believes Ireland have great players but do we have players good enough, for example, to threaten the defence of N Ireland. N Ireland should have scored 3 and their two forwards are playing in League 1. We have as poor a squad as we ever had but for god sake we still have player to be a relatively solid 3rd tier team at the moment.

Who are these players? Granted this last while I've watched very little of the ROI but Shane Long, O'Dowda, O'Brien are not these players.
MON & Keane did a wonderful job. They constantly over achieved. They will be very hard acts to follow. FAI should consider a statue in honour.

Here are some premier league players,  not saying they are top class but they are with premier league clubs none the less...

Coleman
Duffy
K Long
S Long
Hendrick
Arter
Obafemi
Christie
Brady
Ward
Cunningham
Clarke
Doherty

Mcclean, Randolph were recently also in premier league.

I also think o dowda and Stevens are capable of being premier league too. Now no doubt there are no world beaters there but is it unreasonable to expect us to be able to string a few passes together and make some chances? I don't think so.

Come of it Itchy, most of those lads are very average and of their clubs got relegated this season there wouldn't be a Premier League side beating down their door to sign them. Only Coleman, Hendrick & Brady are genuine Premier League players and perhaps Duffy is on his way to be being one too. Shane Long is nearly 32 and this is probably his last year in the PL. Its the worst squad Ireland have ever had.

I never said they were anything but average and I also said in a previous post that its probably the weakest ever Irish panel. However I still think we are 3rd tier and should be very competitive at that level. The N Ireland game is a perfect barometer. We did not threaten their goal and they dominanted the possession. Lets look at their team...

Peacock-Farrell - Leeds (Championship)
M Smith - Hearts (scotland)
Cathcart - Watford (premier)
J Evans - Leicster (premier)
Lewis - Norwich (championship)
C Evans - Blackburn (championship)
Whyte - Oxford (league 1)
Davis - Southampton (premier)
Saville - Middlesboro (championship)
Dallas - Leeds (championship)
Boyce - Burton (League 1)

Subs
Jones - Kilmarnock (scotland)
McNair - Middlesboro (championship)
Lafferty - Rangers (scotland)
Ward - Charlton (league 1)

Darren Randolph - Middlesboro (championship)
Seamus Coleman - Everton (premier)
Darragh Lenihan - Blackburn (championship)
Shane Duffy - Brighton (premier)
John Egan - Sheffield Utd (championship)
James McClean - Stoke (championship)
Glen WHelan - Villa (Championship)
Hendrick - Burnely (Premier)
Brady - Burnley (Premier)
O Dowda - Bristol (championship)
Robinson - Preston (championship)

subs
Christie - Fulham (premier)
Stevens - Sheff Utd (championship)
Hourihane - Villa (championship)
Curtis - Portsmouth (league 1)
Maguire - Preston (championship)
Hogan - Villa (Championship)

So not a huge difference in quality of the players on display in terms of the level they play at, I would argue the republic slightly stronger. Yet the stats show

North had 60% possession
North had 11 shots versus 8 at goal
North had 11 corners versus 3

If you watched the game you would have seen that only one team was playing football. So how can that be? Management is the answer.

Capt Pat

So Stephen Kenny is to replace Mick McCarthy after the 2 year contract expires according to the rte rugby commentator.

SHEEDY

Stephen kenny has left dundalk to take over ireland u21's and will then take over from mick mcarthy after the 2020 euro finals. Did anyone see that scenario unfolding?
nil satis nisi optimum

Itchy

What a stupid thing to do, promise a man a job 2 years out. A lot can happen in 2 years. Really stupid from Delaney but no surprise really.

From the Bunker

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 24, 2018, 07:03:14 PM
Stephen kenny has left dundalk to take over ireland u21's and will then take over from mick mcarthy after the 2020 euro finals. Did anyone see that scenario unfolding?

No!

Have to say it's the best compromise of a way of giving Kenny the job. He get's to see and work with the youth, gets to know the workings of the FAI a bit closer up, can influence players that might declare for Ireland. For once the FAI might have got something right.

Boycey

I'm pleased for Kenny I kind of hoped he'd get the big job now but personally I think its a hairbrained idea, this two year succession thing. I know Southgate graduated through England in the same manner but that was accident more than design?

What if Mick does really really well (however unlikely that looks at present) and wants to stay on? Will he be forced out?

An Watcher

I think it's an excellent idea.  Fair play to the FAI

sid waddell

Delaney is some gobshite.

Mick should have the job with no ridiculous arbitrary time limits imposed on him.

This is a stroke to appease the perpetually moaning, always unhappy League of Ireland set.

I think Mick could well pull out altogether now - he's being shafted before he has even been appointed.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on November 24, 2018, 08:12:59 PM

Mick should have the job with no ridiculous arbitrary time limits imposed on him.

This is a stroke to appease the perpetually moaning, always unhappy League of Ireland set.

I think Mick could well pull out altogether now - he's being shafted before he has even been appointed.

And you know how these talks went? Ffs there are some balloons on here, for all you know that was the agreement that they (Stephen and Mick) wanted. Mick not shy on speaking out so you'll hear from him on this contract, so until then speculating is silly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2018, 08:25:32 PM

And you know how these talks went? Ffs there are some balloons on here, for all you know that was the agreement that they (Stephen and Mick) wanted. Mick not shy on speaking out so you'll hear from him on this contract, so until then speculating is silly
Says one of the biggest balloons of all here.

Even if McCarthy is on board with it (1.2 million a year might help in that regard) the situation is a dog's dinner.

You don't impose arbitrary time limits on a manager before they've even begun, regardless of whether they have success or not.

Imposing such is a recipe for failure and it doesn't help the successor either.

But if Mick qualifies and does well in the Euros, why the hell should we then ditch him for the World Cup?

And replace them with a bloody League of Ireland manager?

Why would you want to do that?

We tried it once before and it was a disaster.

BennyCake

Quote from: sid waddell on November 24, 2018, 08:55:55 PM

Even if McCarthy is on board with it (1.2 million a year might help in that regard) the situation is a dog's dinner.

You don't impose arbitrary time limits on a manager before they've even begun, regardless of whether they have success or not.

But if Mick qualifies and does well in the Euros, why the hell should we then ditch him for the World Cup?

Yeah thought that myself. If the team is gelling and playing well, riding high, why would you risk that?

JoG2

Quote from: sid waddell on November 24, 2018, 08:55:55 PM

What was a disaster?

Captain Obvious

Mick is near 60 and a championship league level manager at best. I bet he can't believe his luck that he's going to get this amount of money for a two year gig with no pressure to be successful.

rodney trotter

It's a good deal for  Stephen Kenny. He will get some experience of international football at U21 level first. Ireland had a good U17 team in the Euros, so those players should be in the reckoning. McCarthy probaly only wanted 2 years anyway.