FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 16, 2017, 10:00:55 AM
It is informative to consider the bewilderment of outside observers when it comes to the level of expectation the soccer public in Ireland hold for their squad.   

Squads of greater ability than the current have come and gone, yet we have only graced 2 World Cups.  So, it is no surprising that O'Neill points out that they were within 90 minutes of this one.

On the whole he has done well with this squad result-wise.  As for style, there have been quibbles but style only becomes an issue when you lose.  I think most people choose to ignore the rantings of the likes of Dunphy et al.  Only a lunatic thinks that a 35 year old reserve from a Championship side is going to allow pass teams off the park. 

However, this week is a serious blot on the copybook, not just results wise.   From RTE, only Ronnie Whelan picked up on the fact that players were mouthing off with each other.  They were rattled.  They know that it was their failure to handle a short corner, not Keane's, not O'Neills.   I think the occasion got to some of them.    But we were told his strong point was motivating and giving lads confidence.   Also the half-time substitution smacked of management panic.   

O'Neill owes his employers and explanation for that but some of mad outrage elsewhere, well it's just mad Ted.

/Jim.
I can't agree with a lot of this.

Who are the outside observers? The people that look at what clubs our players play for and make a judgement on that alone as you've done with Hoolahan? I've no interest in that type of analysis. Forget who Hoolahan plays for or what age he is or how worked up Dunphy gets about it and look at what happens when he plays compared to when he doesn't. It's like day and night, plain for anyone to see. O'Neill sees it and decides not to play him. That's his choice as manager of course.

As for the style, it's an issue for me regardless of results. We have been extremely lucky to get results and the luck ran out the other night. I had little enjoyment watching this campaign. It was almost embarrassing watching Coleman's goal to beat Georgia. I think Dunphy is largely right. He goes over the top sometimes but this week the Irish pundits have generally agreed with him; Brady, Andrews, Duff and Breen have all more or less stated what he's said.

I found this article to quite good http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/ireland-denmark-world-cup-2018-martin-oneill-short-term-solutions-a8057181.html

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Syferus on November 16, 2017, 10:04:57 AM
It is informative to consider the bewilderment of outside observers when it comes to the level of expectation the soccer public in Ireland hold for their squad.   

Squads of greater ability than the current have come and gone, yet we have only graced 2 World Cups.  So, it is no surprising that O'Neill points out that they were within 90 minutes of this one.

On the whole he has done well with this squad result-wise.  As for style, there have been quibbles but style only becomes an issue when you lose.  I think most people choose to ignore the rantings of the likes of Dunphy et al.  Only a lunatic thinks that a 35 year old reserve from a Championship side is going to allow pass teams off the park. 

However, this week is a serious blot on the copybook, not just results wise.   From RTE, only Ronnie Whelan picked up on the fact that players were mouthing off with each other.  They were rattled.  They know that it was their failure to handle a short corner, not Keane's, not O'Neills.   I think the occasion got to some of them.    But we were told his strong point was motivating and giving lads confidence.   Also the half-time substitution smacked of management panic.   

O'Neill owes his employers and explanation for that but some of mad outrage elsewhere, well it's just mad Ted.

/Jim.

Jim, we need to talk.

Don't count so good....

/Jim.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Syferus on November 16, 2017, 10:04:57 AM

/Jim.

Jim, we need to talk.

He missed the one where they wouldnt allow T.V.s in the ward as a precaution against patients getting over excited. Roy Keane has that effect on people
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

supersub

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 16, 2017, 10:14:45 AM

/Jim.
I can't agree with a lot of this.

Who are the outside observers? The people that look at what clubs our players play for and make a judgement on that alone as you've done with Hoolahan? I've no interest in that type of analysis. Forget who Hoolahan plays for or what age he is or how worked up Dunphy gets about it and look at what happens when he plays compared to when he doesn't. It's like day and night, plain for anyone to see. O'Neill sees it and decides not to play him. That's his choice as manager of course.

As for the style, it's an issue for me regardless of results. We have been extremely lucky to get results and the luck ran out the other night. I had little enjoyment watching this campaign. It was almost embarrassing watching Coleman's goal to beat Georgia. I think Dunphy is largely right. He goes over the top sometimes but this week the Irish pundits have generally agreed with him; Brady, Andrews, Duff and Breen have all more or less stated what he's said.

I found this article to quite good http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/ireland-denmark-world-cup-2018-martin-oneill-short-term-solutions-a8057181.html

That may be the case, but if you are relying on someone of that age and from a club of their status, that is a major part of your problem.

Squad simply isn't good enough.

An Watcher

I dread the idea of O'Neill walking away.  Who would be in the running to replace him and get more out of this group of players?

Syferus

Quote from: An Watcher on November 16, 2017, 04:50:33 PM
I dread the idea of O'Neill walking away.  Who would be in the running to replace him and get more out of this group of players?

In fairness spirit has never been an issue for any Irish team so to even try to credit it to this management is fracking daft as fûck.

MON's very poor tactically, his subs at HT prove that much at least. No one is going to lose much sleep if he walks.

uimhr ocht

I don't think any other manager would have got the team as far as O'Neil has took them,a few weeks ago in Cardiff he was being hailed for defeating wales he took the team to the euros and performed reasonably so the reaction to the Denmark result is way over the top.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Syferus on November 16, 2017, 05:01:09 PM

In fairness spirit has never been an issue for any Irish team so to even try to credit it to this management is fracking daft as fûck.

MON's very poor tactically, his subs at HT prove that much at least. No one is going to lose much sleep if he walks.

Listen to yourself Ffs!

Getting this team to be winning after 30 minutes of a second leg play off, after drawing away from home, to the World Cup finals with the shittest of teams, and you are giving off about his tactical gamble at halftime, which was to try and win the game after his defenders gifted two goals!!

Thicker than I gave you credit for
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Capt Pat

Quote from: uimhr ocht on November 16, 2017, 05:09:56 PM
I don't think any other manager would have got the team as far as O'Neil has took them.

Michael O'Neill? We have until next football season to get a new manager if  Martin O'Neill declines to stay on.

Syferus

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2017, 05:58:17 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 16, 2017, 05:01:09 PM

Listen to yourself Ffs!

Getting this team to be winning after 30 minutes of a second leg play off, after drawing away from home, to the World Cup finals with the shittest of teams, and you are giving off about his tactical gamble at halftime, which was to try and win the game after his defenders gifted two goals!!

Thicker than I gave you credit for

There's nothing he's done that Trapp wouldn't have. If anything we played better football under Trapp and that's saying something. We've been making playoffs and losing since the stars have been in the sky, that in itself is nothing new.

Results have been fine but the rush to defend and uplift him here (mainly because he's a nordie, if a lot of people taking that position were honest with themselves and the rest of us) is daft. If you don't think we could find just as good if not better management for the price tag you're not being up front.

MON has done little to introduce younger players, bar enforced changes like Christie for Coleman and Duffy for O'Shea, the later because it was getting ridiculous that he was still starting for Ireland and he was costing us big time in the Euros last year. At least a third of MON's squad are footballing pensioners at this stage.

A new manager who's willing to take the hit and build a team around younger lads might actually be a huge bonus for us in the long term.

You won't find many people upset were MON to go but it's such a cushy part-time gig I doubt he will.

Cunny Funt

He's unlikely to walk and i think most are in agreement he has done very well to get one of the weakest ROI panels with injuries to key players this close to the World cup. He has earned the opportunity to try and qualify ROI for Euro 2020 now however I'd question what some of his management team are bringing to the table and one of those are the current favourite for the next ROI manager WTF? Come 2020 someone like Chris Houghton should come in to replace O Neill IMO.

Orior

Who are the bright young stars that we can bring in to the team?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

An Watcher

I have high hopes for Rice at West Ham who is a ball playing Centre Half as far as I know.  Also, Delaney at Wolves.  Further up the field, Hourihan in the middle of the park and Maguire up front.  I think there are a few coming through although we could be doing with strikers/attackers.
We have a load of keepers and a few holding midfielders.  Could always be doing with a bit more class though.  Oh for a Roy Keane or Damien Duff

manfromdelmonte

if the FAI had a decent coaching and development programme they should be bringing through good yojng lads in LOI clubs and the better prospects go abroad
but we know they don't.
waste money on the likes of Delaney in charge and the schoolboys leagues in Dublin has basically become a few big clubs vs each other to win titles. very little player development

Farrandeelin

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 17, 2017, 08:02:51 AM
if the FAI had a decent coaching and development programme they should be bringing through good yojng lads in LOI clubs and the better prospects go abroad
but we know they don't.
waste money on the likes of Delaney in charge and the schoolboys leagues in Dublin has basically become a few big clubs vs each other to win titles. very little player development

Nail on the head.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.