Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

While I've little doubt that Joe is quite happy to bend his sources a little, do you really believe that the Dublin media officer has a big brother style control over his county players' private messaging?

lenny

Quote from: Jinxy on January 28, 2018, 07:22:41 PM
Sounds like the Dubs have him on speed-dial.

'The day after it was written I got the following text: "I enjoyed your scientific gobbledegook piece today Joe. I cannot believe a fella is getting paid to coach defensive transition. F*** me (I will not include the colour he added). This is what's wrong with the game. You don't need to transition unless you've brought everyone back. Pathetic."

The text just happened to come from one of the best players in the country and a key member of the four-time All-Ireland-winning Dublin senior team.

Shortly afterwards, I got another text, from another member of that same team. It reads as follows: "Pissing myself here. Blast off transition? WTF? We push up and make teams kick long, so we don't need to transition. Fellas are 1 v 1. When we win the ball back, we move the ball to the attackers at speed. If Philly or Jonny win the ball they move it to the half-backs and they move it on. Transition is bollox."

What would those two boys know? They only have eight All-Irelands between them. Living in the bloody dark ages.'

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-lets-stop-players-dying-of-boredom-36537929.html

I'm only speculating here but those 2 texts do not sound plausible at all. I could be wrong though.

From the Bunker

'The day after it was written I got the following text: "I enjoyed your scientific gobbledegook piece today Joe. I cannot believe a fella is getting paid to coach defensive transition. F*** me (I will not include the colour he added). This is what's wrong with the game. You don't need to transition unless you've brought everyone back. Pathetic."

The text just happened to come from one of the best players in the country and a key member of the four-time All-Ireland-winning Dublin senior team.

Shortly afterwards, I got another text, from another member of that same team. It reads as follows: "Pissing myself here. Blast off transition? WTF? We push up and make teams kick long, so we don't need to transition. Fellas are 1 v 1. When we win the ball back, we move the ball to the attackers at speed. If Philly or Jonny win the ball they move it to the half-backs and they move it on. Transition is bollox."

What would those two boys know? They only have eight All-Irelands between them. Living in the bloody dark ages.'

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-lets-stop-players-dying-of-boredom-36537929.html

Westmeath abandoned their blanket defence against Dublin in the Leinster semi final. Played with ambition and adventure. How did that end? Still Blanchflower would have been proud that they played with expression and lost by a lorry load of points!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: thewobbler on January 28, 2018, 08:07:20 PM
While I've little doubt that Joe is quite happy to bend his sources a little, do you really believe that the Dublin media officer has a big brother style control over his county players' private messaging?

To media figures absolutely.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Quote from: lenny on January 28, 2018, 08:09:57 PM

I'm only speculating here but those 2 texts do not sound plausible at all. I could be wrong though.

Just got a text off one of the Dubs and he reckons Joe's full of sh*t.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on January 28, 2018, 08:33:46 PM

Just got a text off one of the Dubs and he reckons Joe's full of sh*t.

Shortly afterwards, I got another text, from another member of that same team. It reads as follows: "Pissing myself here. Brolly? WTF?

ONeill

Got one myself from a Dublin midfielder who says there's a chronic incontinence problem within the squad.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thewobbler

Would anyone expect that Alan Shearer and Harry's Kane might have each other's number and might pop a wee text when there's a story of interest to both? Or maybe George Hook and Jonny Sexton?

I would.

And as such I don't think it would be even slightly unusual for high profile GAA players to send text messages to the highest profile pundits, and vice versa. There's a network in place and they're all part of it.

trileacman

Quote from: thewobbler on January 28, 2018, 09:19:30 PM
Would anyone expect that Alan Shearer and Harry's Kane might have each other's number and might pop a wee text when there's a story of interest to both? Or maybe George Hook and Jonny Sexton?

I would.

And as such I don't think it would be even slightly unusual for high profile GAA players to send text messages to the highest profile pundits, and vice versa. There's a network in place and they're all part of it.

There's more chance of joe being called to line out for the Dublin seniors than Johnny sexton sending a clampit like George hook a text. What f**king planet are you living on?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Jinxy

Yeah, Hook and Sexton are great pals.  :D

trileacman

Anyone have joe's number there?

I'd like to text him and tell him he's talking through his hole. Judging by his articles he must get more calls in a year than the Samaritans.

Jim Bob

Anyone in the public eye should have more sense than to say anything to Brolly (unless you would like to be quoted by him in some paper or radio station)
I wonder what Mr Reavey thinks of being quoted?(that if he did say what Brolly has quoted him )

Jinxy

Joe's life consists of reading a constant stream of text messages from whistle-blowing inter-county players, while driving between dinner dances.

trileacman

I really need him to tell me another time how good Slaughtneil are. Despite never having won the club All-Ireland I just really need to know how many of them turned up to park cars at the chairman's granny's wake.

tonto1888

could narrow it down. How many of the Dublin team have 4 AI medals as opposed to 5 or 3 or less?