Galway Races

Started by An Gaeilgoir, July 19, 2007, 09:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

I was down in Galway today on businessand one of the places i had to visit was the new stand in Ballybrit.It is very very impressive and is a great addition to the arena as a whole.But unfortunatly there was only one topic on the agenda today...that was that if this rain keeps up, the meeting as a whole is under threat as the course is at saturation point and it can not take much more rain over the next 10 days......what a disaster for Galway if the festival has to be postponed especially following the water scare earlier in the year...

Bud Wiser

I liked Galway. I liked the whole set up but in years of late it is becoming a bit like Killarney during the Rose of Tralee. Overpriced and they don't give a frig about anyone, as one hotel owner stated on the wireless during last years festival. "We look out the window and charge according to the size of the car, if its a Merc we charge top prices"

The Lord acts in mysterious ways and the water episode was a sharp rap on the knuckles for them.  They were not organised to deal with it, they had no spokesperson from the Tourist Industry or Chamber of Commerce.  They did have various individuals having pictures of themselves with water filters in the car parks of their hotels and publicans with "my water is ok, and my water is better than theirs etc" type of circus, mainly directed at protecting their bank accounts but not the tourists.

As for the Galway Races ! Same thing. I wanted to get a train from Heuston Station in Dublin to Galway on Wednesday 1st August, a two hour train journey to Galway and then get the shuttle bus to Ballybrit.  The last train back to Dublin leaves at 6pm !!!  On a summers evening of one of the biggest race meetings in the country at peak tourist time and the last train to Dublin is at 6pm!!!
OK there is one at twenty to nine (20.40pm that goes to Athlone and you get a connection to Dublin at 5am arriving back in Heuston at 7am the next morning!!!!   Who da f**k wants to sit in a train station in Athlone from a quarter to eleven at night 'till five the next morning.

That is the level of interaction between the ones left crying over the water and the tourist and transportr bodies in Galway.  Unless they get their act together and stop ripping off tourists to fill in for the student holiday gap they deserve what they get.

Fishead_Sam

Ha ha, ya see now Bud Wiser, transport is absolutly crap West of the Shannon & Galway has be far the best transport in the West. Its a disgrace, they don't give a fck about us, at least the Galway Races lets other people experience what the Govt. thinks of us, sure when they are in their tents that they flew into by helicoptor why should they care.  >:(

StoneWall

I was told by a reliable source that some of the city centre publicans had a meeting and decided that they aren't going to let people drink on the streets this year! They won't allow people take glasses onto the street and won't give them plastic glasses either.

Apparently they are pissed off that people are buying drink from off licences and drinking it on the street and want it stopped. Talk about greedy f*ckers!

I must admit that I am not a fan of race week in the city especially Thursday. The amount of tossers that go round in suits with sun glasses in their hair is unreal.

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteOverpriced and they don't give a frig about anyone

Welcome to modern Ireland.

QuoteThat is the level of interaction between the ones left crying over the water and the tourist and transportr bodies in Galway

I think you'll have to take that one up with Iarnrod Eireann.

cavan4ever

Quote from: StoneWall on July 20, 2007, 01:27:17 PM
I was told by a reliable source that some of the city centre publicans had a meeting and decided that they aren't going to let people drink on the streets this year! They won't allow people take glasses onto the street and won't give them plastic glasses either.

Apparently they are pissed off that people are buying drink from off licences and drinking it on the street and want it stopped. Talk about greedy f*ckers!
I must admit that I am not a fan of race week in the city especially Thursday. The amount of tossers that go round in suits with sun glasses in their hair is unreal.

I can't see that stopping people going into the off-licence and buying drink, sure what else can they do when the fecking pubs are jammers.

Rois

Making the annual pilgrimage and I can't wait - our excuse for a girlie break away.  

However the joke is trying to get out to Ballybrit on Thursday - giving it a miss this year and going Fri eve instead.  They'd better not stop the "drinking on the street" thing - hard to get a drink in some of the bars!

Longfordian

Tips given by Newstalk sports program for today !

5.10 Gurron

5.45 Adamant Approach

6.20 Glmis Castle

7.00 Celtic Dane

8.10 Perfect Memory
        Lonesome Maverick

hectorsheroes

Headin down this Thursday for the ladies day, never been at it but was told to wear a suit so looks like I'll be a tosser then. Tried to book accomodation about 4 months ago and we had the Radison who promptly cancelled the bookin two days later without telling us until the card statement came through. Have ended up in a village 20 miles away which I'd say is gonna be a nightmare regarding taxis. Anyone any advice on this?

Longfordian

Going Thursday and Friday ........
Dont have to worry about accommodation as herself is a nurse in Galway and has a house there ..... half of Longford is staying there aswell ......

Hectors ....what village you staying in ?...... I reckon your best bet would be get the number of the local hackney driver ...Im sure they'll have mini-buses running between where your staying and Galway .....

hectorsheroes

Think it is Oughterard

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: hectorsheroes on July 31, 2007, 02:17:15 PM
Think it is Oughterard

In deepest Connemara. Well on the way to it anyway. ;D

About 45 minutes north west of the city.

hectorsheroes

Taxis a nightmare are they? Looks like its in that morning for the rest of the day then! Sure it'll be good craic and thats the holidays for the year, 3 days in Galway!

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: hectorsheroes on July 31, 2007, 11:52:19 AM
Headin down this Thursday for the ladies day, never been at it but was told to wear a suit so looks like I'll be a tosser then. Tried to book accomodation about 4 months ago and we had the Radison who promptly cancelled the bookin two days later without telling us until the card statement came through. Have ended up in a village 20 miles away which I'd say is gonna be a nightmare regarding taxis. Anyone any advice on this?
Go early,the crowds are mental on Wed/Thurs. no comfort at all unless queueing is your thing. But its a great day out!

Longfordian

Two came off yesterday from the same fella....had one e/w and the last to win ..........

Here are tips for today .......

1.50 IMPERIAL ROSE
2.25 LEG SPINNER
3PM DO THE TRICK
3.40 COOL RUNNING
4.25 HUM THE TUNE