Irish Hockey

Started by From the Bunker, August 02, 2018, 07:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 02, 2018, 11:29:47 PM
Isn't it an all-Ireland team? Same as Cricket? Soccer seems to be a bit of an outlier in Irish sport with the partition thing.

Didn't some NI women play with GB in Olympics?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mrdeeds on August 03, 2018, 09:04:21 AM
Isn't it an all-Ireland team? Same as Cricket? Soccer seems to be a bit of an outlier in Irish sport with the partition thing.

Not one of winning Olympic team was from N.I. or Wales or Scotland for that matter I think.. But it is team GB and N.I
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 03, 2018, 09:23:46 AM

Not one of winning Olympic team was from N.I. or Wales or Scotland for that matter I think.. But it is team GB and N.I

May have been at token panelist somewhere

mrdeeds

It was four on GB men's olympic team even though Ireland qualified.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on August 03, 2018, 09:26:19 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 03, 2018, 09:23:46 AM

May have been at token panelist somewhere

Don't think so, I watched all their games that summer and can't remember my kids saying there was ones from here on the panel/team
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mrdeeds on August 03, 2018, 09:35:22 AM
Gleghorne brothers from Antrim played in Rio, one for GB and one for Ireland.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mrdeeds on August 03, 2018, 09:35:22 AM

I thought we were talking womens hockey, my mistake.

Could they not get on the panel? or did a Barry mcguigan?

Ash Smoker

Hockey produces its fair share of stunners!

Ash Smoker

It's interesting that sports that have traditionally been associated with Unionism such as rugby, hockey and cricket are played on All Ireland basis.
Then the most oirishy of them all, soccer, is partitioned, despite the green flag waving, cheering leprechauns and plastic Paddy-ism.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

dec

Quote from: Ash Smoker on August 03, 2018, 02:45:05 PM
It's interesting that sports that have traditionally been associated with Unionism such as rugby, hockey and cricket are played on All Ireland basis.
Then the most oirishy of them all, soccer, is partitioned, despite the green flag waving, cheering leprechauns and plastic Paddy-ism.

The FAI were the spliters

gallsman

They're only really associated with unionism in the North though, at least hockey and rugby are. The Catholic order schools in the south are the nurseries for both hockey and rugby.

Baile Brigín 2

The other option was an 'Irish' side based in Belfast under the U jack and GSTQ. Do you think the Leinster FA were wrong to split?

seafoid

There aren't enough Unionists to make a successful international team in any sport. Including soccer.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

I hope the hockeyers win the semi-final.