Ireland’s drugs epidemic

Started by BennyCake, October 09, 2019, 12:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Yer man Carvill wrote a piece this week, and it got me thinking.

We live in a time where there has never been more awareness programs in schools, sports clubs, on TV etc. People are more educated about the dangers of drugs, yet there seems to be more and more people gripped by drugs problems.

I'd say most towns and villages in the country are touched in some way. It's frightening.

What can be done? And why are drugs so prevalent all around the country?

Eamonnca1

Heard a good one about the study that was done that formed the basis of a lot of modern drug policy. In the original experiment, they had two groups of rats. One was fed water from two sources, the other was fed water from one source and heroin-infused water from the other. The group that was fed heroin got addicted and had lots of health problems as a result, that group that wasn't exposed to heroin did not.

Conclusion: Drugs are bad.

The researcher revisited it years later because he thought something was wrong with the experiment. So he conducted a new experiment. This time there was a group of rats that was fed heroin like before, and like the previous experiment it was in a featureless and sterile environment where the rats were given no stimulation. The second group was also fed water infused with heroin and regular water from a different source, but this group was housed in a different environment. It was comfortable, cozy, and the rats in that group had lots of food, company, sex, etc. Kinda like a rat heaven. Well in this experiment the group in the enriched environment still showed some interest in the heroin-infused water at the beginning, but didn't become addicted like the ones in the other group.

Conclusion: Drug addiction is a consequence of more than just availability of drugs, it's a symptom of an absence of the things that make life interesting or fulfilling.

Eamonnca1

Just had a look for the Carvill piece and it seems to be subscriber only. What's the gist of it?

GetOverTheBar

I'm a subscriber but they don't let you copy the article, if anyone knows what can be done there let me know and I'll paste the lot.

Talks about meeting a lad off his face in the Holylands on a Tuesday morning, fairly unresponsive, couldn't help him as he couldn't speak so he left him and went about his business.

Names Pomeroy as an area blighted by drugs.

Talks about the death of a young lad from Silverbridge and how they had a night for awareness when his mother spoke days after the death.

Says he regrets walking away from the young lad in the Holylands, hopes he's getting the help he needs and that the GAA community needs to stand up to drugs together.

The Bearded One

I have to say, I was totally naïve to the drug problems in our local area until recently. I live in a fairly rural area and the ease which people can access cocaine in particular is frightening. What's more frightening is the attitude towards it, it seems to be nearly accepted as normal recreational behaviour. As a club we have tried to increase awareness of the long term effects of addiction and drug use but I am afraid that is not enough, this problem is only going to get bigger.
It is what it is. Presumably.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Gaagaagaa20 on October 09, 2019, 09:34:10 AM
Reality is individual clubs can take a stand against this by removing those who they know are involved in drug use from their teams and strip them of club membership. It has absolutely zero place in our communities or our association.

Whilst I agree with your thinking - the reality is, good players will never be chased from clubs. You know yourself that is a non runner. Infact the way the GAA is going, any player will not be chased from a club.

HiMucker

Reality is individual clubs can take a stand against this by removing those who they know are involved in drug use from their teams and strip them of club membership. It has absolutely zero place in our communities or our association.
To be honest thats an absolute non runner. Impossible to police and unfair to expect club members to police it. Its not like fellas be landing down to the club off their nut. How would you go about it? "Johnny I hear you were doing a few lines at a party at the weekend, dont come back through those gates". Hes likely to tell you to go fcuk yourself.

TabClear

Quote from: HiMucker on October 09, 2019, 10:04:28 AM
To be honest thats an absolute non runner. Impossible to police and unfair to expect club members to police it. Its not like fellas be landing down to the club off their nut. How would you go about it? "Johnny I hear you were doing a few lines at a party at the weekend, dont come back through those gates". Hes likely to tell you to go fcuk yourself.

And rightly so. There is a major issue with this but as you say its unfair to ask clubmen to police it. Where does it stop? Do you strip membership off the player who gets in a car after 3 pints? If it was down to me I would have much less issue with a lad who takes a line of coke every now and again and doesnt really harm anyone else than the drink driver who puts other people at risk.

Gaagaagaa20

Well then dont come crying and complaining when the culture develops. If this sort of stuff was nipped in the bud then there is no issue. People involved in this sort of carry on need ostracised from the community and then young people will think twice about engaging in behaviour like this. Not a nice thing to have to do but ultimately needed.

HiMucker

Quote from: Gaagaagaa20 on October 09, 2019, 10:32:49 AM
Quote from: Gaagaagaa20 on October 09, 2019, 10:30:44 AM
Well then dont come crying and complaining when the culture develops. If this sort of stuff was nipped in the bud then there is no issue. People involved in this sort of carry on need ostracised from the community and then young people will think twice about engaging in behaviour like this. Not a nice thing to have to do but ultimately needed.
Well then you are saying that you dont have much of an issue with recreational drug use (which is fine) but you obviously fail to understand the viscious cycle it leads to where young and impressionable lads and girls get caught up in it because of no one making that big a deal out of it.
Yeah, like drinking and smoking. I haven't seen a single family yet that hasn't been affected by drink. When are we going to something about that vicious cycle?

Taylor

Just because drinking & smoking is legal it doesnt mean they effect people any less.

While drug use is on the increase, especially in rural areas, one can assume it has a long way to go before it reaches the destructive levels that drink and smoking have reached

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: HiMucker on October 09, 2019, 10:37:43 AM
Quote from: Gaagaagaa20 on October 09, 2019, 10:32:49 AM
Quote from: Gaagaagaa20 on October 09, 2019, 10:30:44 AM
Well then you are saying that you dont have much of an issue with recreational drug use (which is fine) but you obviously fail to understand the viscious cycle it leads to where young and impressionable lads and girls get caught up in it because of no one making that big a deal out of it.
Yeah, like drinking and smoking. I haven't seen a single family yet that hasn't been affected by drink. When are we going to something about that vicious cycle?

Glad someone else has pointed out they are drugs also.

HiMucker

Quote from: Taylor on October 09, 2019, 10:41:33 AM
Just because drinking & smoking is legal it doesnt mean they effect people any less.

While drug use is on the increase, especially in rural areas, one can assume it has a long way to go before it reaches the destructive levels that drink and smoking have reached
Exactly

The Bearded One

The problems with alcohol are well known, the issue with drug use is much less known and this topic is trying to raise some awareness. I don't think it needs to be turned into a comparison with drink, there are topics discussing alcohol and the effects of it.

As I said, I was totally naïve to the increasing usage among young people in my local area and how accessible it is. It shocked me. The more the use of recreational drugs is normalised, the bigger the issue is going to get.
It is what it is. Presumably.

tbrick18

I couldn't agree less with this highlighted comment above.
Apart from the impossible position this would put the clubs in, it could absolutely have a detrimental effect on the person being excluded.
There are people/kids who for them the club is the only positive thing in their lives. Exercise, camaraderie and a feeling of belonging to a club may well be all kids from broken families/homes have to look forward to in their lives. What would happen them if it was removed? They could well spiral further down that hole of drink/drugs/anti-social behaviour.
Yes clubs should take a stand, but only in terms of educating their members. If you tell a kid they are out because they made a mistake, there is no coming back. However, if you educate that same kid to the health and social dangers of drugs and highlight their fitness and therefore ability to play will be affected, then perhaps this can be the carrot.

Then there is also the legal aspect. How can you legally expel someone from a club? Unless there is a rule for it, you can't do it.