TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 16, 2020, 08:35:33 PM
The Wire was very good but wouldn't have it at the top level, where the like of BB, Dexter, GOT and Soprano's sit.

BB is the most overrated series ever. Not even one likeable character in it. I have to admit I watched it all hoping for it to get better but the last 3 series were tough going. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

trileacman

The Wire is as a clear level above all other tv shows ever made. I tried both the Sopranos and West Wing but by f**k they're tough going. Got halfway through both first series.

The first series of the Wire can be a bit of a trudge but the Hamsterdam series is without par IMO.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

gallsman

Season 4 with the kids and Chris and Snoop doing their thing is the best season of TV ever made.

I love all those long form ones but the Wire is the best of the lot and it's not even close. Am re-watching the Sopranos again at the moment with the wife (her first time) and while it's good, it's not a patch on the Wire.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: gallsman on March 16, 2020, 11:00:17 PM
Season 4 with the kids and Chris and Snoop doing their thing is the best season of TV ever made.

I love all those long form ones but the Wire is the best of the lot and it's not even close. Am re-watching the Sopranos again at the moment with the wife (her first time) and while it's good, it's not a patch on the Wire.

Yeah, I would have the Wire a clear head above anything else. The characters were so well-rounded.
There was no simplistic good vs bad.

And the fact each season was so well defined and had a definitive purpose, each one added to the overall story.
Too many shows get greedy and keep pushing out the end, and when they get there they haven't a clue how to wrap it up (I'm looking at you, GoT)
Hasta la victoria siempre

Dinny Breen

The Wire was immense I don't think series 5 did enough damage to stop it from being number 1 unlike the last serious of GOT.
#newbridgeornowhere

macdanger2

The wire is decent but not a patch on sopranos, not even in the conversation imo

macdanger2

BTW, just started watching the west wing

JimStynes

I'd have Gomorrah above the Wire and Sopranos. I've never watched a tv show and felt so many moments of tension. The characters and acting are superb. The Shield is another favourite of mine. Does Band of Brothers count as a series? If it does then that's clearly the best piece of TV ever made.

trileacman

Quote from: JimStynes on March 17, 2020, 06:46:33 AM
I'd have Gomorrah above the Wire and Sopranos. I've never watched a tv show and felt so many moments of tension. The characters and acting are superb. The Shield is another favourite of mine. Does Band of Brothers count as a series? If it does then that's clearly the best piece of TV ever made.

Well crafted but really it's just "hoo-haa" team America bullshit at the end of the day.

trileacman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 17, 2020, 01:18:55 AM
The Wire was immense I don't think series 5 did enough damage to stop it from being number 1 unlike the last serious of GOT.

Series 5 wasn't really that bad. Series 2 was arguably worse. That journalism BS spoiled it fair enough but Jimmy's story in S5 is hilarious.

gallsman

Series 2 was phenomenal and of all of them is the one that improves the most with more viewing.

JimStynes

Quote from: trileacman on March 17, 2020, 07:18:13 AM

Well crafted but really it's just "hoo-haa" team America bullshit at the end of the day.

Definitely a different opinion than me. I loved the actual veterans interviews before each episode. All of them with their own amazing story played out in the episode. As I said, the best piece TV show ever made. Some of the battle scenes are only rivalled by the first 30 mins of Saving Priviate Ryan.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JimStynes on March 17, 2020, 11:25:48 AM

Definitely a different opinion than me. I loved the actual veterans interviews before each episode. All of them with their own amazing story played out in the episode. As I said, the best piece TV show ever made. Some of the battle scenes are only rivalled by the first 30 mins of Saving Priviate Ryan.
One of my favourites too. The interviews with the veterans sometimes left me with a bit of dust in my eye.

Main Street

That's an idea, rewatch The Band of Brothers.

Though not tv drama, the Godfather trilogy dvd about 10 hours long, is still the undefeated heavyweight champion of the world.
Last week's BCS s5 ep4 scene with Mike, not yet Gus' loyal henchman, was what i'd call a direct rip off/influence from Luca Brasi's characteri in  Godfather, the Dons's loyal soldier.

JimStynes

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 17, 2020, 12:28:33 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on March 17, 2020, 11:25:48 AM

One of my favourites too. The interviews with the veterans sometimes left me with a bit of dust in my eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6TrbOexkUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMUbF0ItdT0