John Mitchel - a lover of slavery - time to remove his name from GAA clubs?

Started by sid waddell, June 09, 2020, 11:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief

Quote from: J70 on June 14, 2020, 08:23:39 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 14, 2020, 07:17:07 PM
This is fantastic

We've laid out the ground rules (or at least J70 has)

If a member of the public, or a member of another GAA club,  finds the name of your Team, Pitch, Cup or Crest offensive, they should petition Croke Park with a view to forcing you to change it

If after input from all interested parties, GAA HQ orders you to change it and you don't, you will no longer qualify for any grant money from Croke Park. In addition the broader population should Be encouraged to boycott your sponsors to "persuade "them to stop sponsoring you

Are you on the drink??

Apparently all my posts get attributed to you now.

whitey

Quote from: Chief on June 14, 2020, 08:35:53 PM
This is fantastic

If a member of the public, or a member of another GAA club,  finds the name of your Team, Pitch, Cup or Crest offensive, they should petition Croke Park with a view to forcing you to change it

If after input from all interested parties, GAA HQ orders you to change it and you don't, you will no longer qualify for any grant money from Croke Park. In addition the broader population should Be encouraged to boycott your sponsors to "persuade "them to stop sponsoring you

Are you on the drink??

Both of you lay out your positions please....I'm having a hard time distinguishing

grounded

Please God let the football/hurling start soon, maybe poster's might be too busy arguing the form of their county/club than this craic.

P.s. im sorry if using the term ' God ' offended anybody.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: whitey on June 14, 2020, 08:40:52 PM
This is fantastic

Are you on the drink??

Both of you lay out your positions please....I'm having a hard time distinguishing

Fairly clear what their positions are if you bothered your hole trying to read them.

It's a very special sort of clown that takes all day to figure out with whom he's actually arguing.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

whitey

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on June 14, 2020, 09:35:53 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 14, 2020, 08:40:52 PM
This is fantastic

Are you on the drink??

Fairly clear what their positions are if you bothered your hole trying to read them.

It's a very special sort of clown that takes all day to figure out with whom he's actually arguing.
Well he/she actually started responding to posts addressed directly to J70 and I (mistakingly) thought J70 had a separate username

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: naka on June 14, 2020, 11:36:19 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on June 13, 2020, 11:00:05 PM
Quote from: naka on June 13, 2020, 07:54:57 PM
For me John Mitchell should be looked on Simply upon his views on our problems.
Newry is proud that he stood for the Irish cause.
I agree with that .
So we just ignore the rest of what he did?

Sure then Jimmy Saville deserves a statue for his healthcare fundraising.
Poor taste .

It's not. Its the conclusion of that narrow logic.

Mitchel was an extreme racist, but ignore that, he was sound on the national question.

Then we can easily ignore Churchills racism and the Tans or Stalins genocide, sure they beat the Nazis. So what if Michael Jackson raped kids, he invented a dance. Saville built a whole focking hospital.

macdanger2

Someone listed clubs named after saints earlier but I can't think of a single one in Mayo - are there any?

whitey

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on June 15, 2020, 12:25:21 AM
I agree with that .

Poor taste .

Mitchel was an extreme racist, but ignore that, he was sound on the national question.

Then we can easily ignore Churchills racism and the Tans or Stalins genocide, sure they beat the Nazis. So what if Michael Jackson raped kids, he invented a dance. Saville built a whole focking hospital.

Tipperary are going to have to find a new cup for their Senior Hurling Champions....Dan Breen Cup is  no longer acceptable and should be melted down

Dan Breen was a big supporter of the Nazis

Chief

Quote from: whitey on June 15, 2020, 02:00:23 AM
I agree with that .

Poor taste .

Tipperary are going to have to find a new cup for their Senior Hurling Champions....Dan Breen Cup is  no longer acceptable and should be melted down

I've no idea if that's true or not. 

I'd be sorely disappointed if it was. I'd always considered him a National hero due to his leadership in the War of Independence 

But let's say it is.

Are you ok with a cup named after a Nazi sympathiser?

Or again am I wrong in concluding that because there are no Jews hurling in Tipperary right now (again no idea if that's true or not) you think that Nazi sympathisers are grand fellas to name cups after? As I say you never did "join the dots for me"?

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 15, 2020, 01:29:17 AM
Someone listed clubs named after saints earlier but I can't think of a single one in Mayo - are there any?

not that I know of. Most of the clubs in Mayo are just the parish name.

Crossmolina, Ballina, Castlebar, Charlestown, Davitts x 2 the only 'named' clubs I can think of. I suppose Eastern Gales and Mayo Gaels also
Hasta la victoria siempre

Milltown Row2

Some fuckwits on this thread now! So John Mitchell is up there with Michael Jackson Jimmy Saville Himmler and Churchill

The guy was a slavery supporter he was quoted saying the slaves were treated better than the Irish back home, he ran a newspaper (unsuccessfully) his children died in the war for the confederacy, no talk of owning slaves beating slaves or rapping them, this practice of owning slaves was legal at the time though it was completely wrong. But he came back to Ireland and his focus wasn't slaves or the confederates it was freeing Ireland.

Was he wrong with his views? Yes, should his name be tarnished because of that? Completely, but his lasting memory won't be What he did in America.

The clubs will no doubt talk about it but I'd be very surprised they'll change their name
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Quote from: Chief on June 15, 2020, 05:28:25 AM
I agree with that .

Poor taste .

I'd be sorely disappointed if it was. I'd always considered him a National hero due to his leadership in the War of Independence 

But let's say it is.

Or again am I wrong in concluding that because there are no Jews hurling in Tipperary right now (again no idea if that's true or not) you think that Nazi sympathisers are grand fellas to name cups after? As I say you never did "join the dots for me"?
Oh Dan Breen was indeed a Nazi supporter, and he remained unapologetic afterwards.

Sure he even carried a Nazi spy's coffin.

Breen was a bloodthirsty lunatic and certainly no hero.

sid waddell

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 15, 2020, 08:22:25 AM
Some fuckwits on this thread now! So John Mitchell is up there with Michael Jackson Jimmy Saville Himmler and Churchill

The guy was a slavery supporter he was quoted saying the slaves were treated better than the Irish back home, he ran a newspaper (unsuccessfully) his children died in the war for the confederacy, no talk of owning slaves beating slaves or rapping them, this practice of owning slaves was legal at the time though it was completely wrong. But he came back to Ireland and his focus wasn't slaves or the confederates it was freeing Ireland.

Was he wrong with his views? Yes, should his name be tarnished because of that? Completely, but his lasting memory won't be What he did in America.

The clubs will no doubt talk about it but I'd be very surprised they'll change their name
A lot of terrible things were "legal".

Mitchel himself, not just his sons, served in the confederate army during the US Civil War.

Funny you mention Churchill in the same breath as Himmler.

So you obviously think Churchill's statue should be removed?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on June 15, 2020, 08:38:59 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 15, 2020, 08:22:25 AM

A lot of terrible things were "legal".

Mitchel himself, not just his sons, served in the confederate army during the US Civil War.

Funny you mention Churchill in the same breath as Himmler.

So you obviously think Churchill's statue should be removed?

Here's the thing, I didn't mention him, people are bringing these names up in what about this and what about him and blah blah. Removing statues? We've jumped from clubs being named after someone who served in the confederate army to removing statues of Churchill!

It's the fuckwits that change the topic with the other shit. People like you
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on June 15, 2020, 08:29:27 AM
Quote from: Chief on June 15, 2020, 05:28:25 AM
I agree with that .

Poor taste .

But let's say it is.

Oh Dan Breen was indeed a Nazi supporter, and he remained unapologetic afterwards.

Sure he even carried a Nazi spy's coffin.

Breen was a bloodthirsty lunatic and certainly no hero.

Arthur Griffith-time up for him too

His newspaper supported the boycott of Jewish Business in Limerick

https://www.irelandisrael.ie/blog/anti-semitism-in-ireland/