Club V County Management

Started by Bingo, October 02, 2013, 03:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

In the current climate, which is the harder task, without doubt the County manager will carry more profile and therefore face more media attention, pressure to perform and cricticism on many fronts. But against that he will have many advantages - more resources, a relatively predictable season of fixtures, committed group of motivated players at generally a high skill level, motivated players, etc.

Club management is a different matter. The season is so long and the fixtures are often unknown from one month to another. You may rarely see your better players if they play county. You are dealing with a different level of player and a limited pool of players. Resources are limited but expectations are high from players and supporters. Facilities may not be available or are on shared basis. Players pulled between between teams and codes.

In the modern game is Club management much more difficult than County Management? And are many managers (recent ex-county players) now bypassing club management and going straight into intercounty management roles  - selectors, U21, senior etc. Some much to learn at club level are they bypassing an essential part of the learning curve?

screenexile

Good question and not one I'm sure can be answered easily!

I think County Management is probably more time consuming with the demands placed on that position early morning sessions, recovery sessions after a big game, weekend meetings. I don't think it would be comprehensible the amount of time a top manager puts in with his players. I have heard of Donegal, Mayo and Dublin and the demands the players and management teams are under in terms of time and it's obscene!

Depending on the Club though I think it's also a difficult task but I don't think you can expect the same time commitment for a manager. Our management team meet up for training and matches and maybe meet on the night after a game as well to discuss tactics/review videos etc.

It's not easy by any stretch but then that's why they're all so well paid :D

Bingo

I got a chuckle out of that last line.

Time is without doubt likely to be a big difference but you could make a case that a County manager would have people in place to do the jobs that a club manager will do himself eg Nutrition, video analysis, stat analysis etc.

In terms of tactics, getting best out of players, motivating, man-management etc I would think that the club manager would have a greater range of these to deal with, the county manager would excel at them. The club manager would likely waste time and energy having to deal with matters that a county manager would never have to address.