The Bible in quotations

Started by muppet, February 08, 2015, 02:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: rrhf on February 08, 2015, 05:11:17 PM
Quote from: Hardy on February 08, 2015, 03:54:16 PM
I think this sort of carry-on is a bit extreme, though:

If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, <says>, "I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity," ... If the charge is true and no proof of the young woman's virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father's house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death.
(Deuteronomy 19, 13-20)
what in your great modern thinking wise and liberal ways should be done with her then? I'm all ears...

He could tell you, but............

Deuteronomy 45, 31-02 subparagraph b)

If a man becometh all ears, he shall have his lugs chopped off and serpents smote into the holes until he speaketh like David Feherty.
MWWSI 2017

Orior

I may be wrong but would you not be better quoting the New Testament, rather than the Old Testament?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

No wonder some of you are not believers

"He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord."(Deuteronomy 23:1)
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: Orior on February 08, 2015, 09:02:40 PM
I may be wrong but would you not be better quoting the New Testament, rather than the Old Testament?

People are quoting the Old Testament to support their views on the Gay Marriage Referendum.

But I agree we should look at The New Testament as well. And indeed the Lost Gospels.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Why do the Gospels of Mark and John not mention the virgin birth? Would this not be important?
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on February 08, 2015, 03:16:12 PM
You must separate the imagery from the facts of the gospel and life,death,resurrection of Christ
But all that other stuff is the basis of your issues with homosexuality. You can't just discount it, surely?

And you're probably being a bit liberal with using the word "facts" in relation to these stories.

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 08, 2015, 10:01:20 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 08, 2015, 03:16:12 PM
You must separate the imagery from the facts of the gospel and life,death,resurrection of Christ
But all that other stuff is the basis of your issues with homosexuality. You can't just discount it, surely?

And you're probably being a bit liberal with using the word "facts" in relation to these stories.

Bbbbbbbbbut.......Jesus said that The Old Testament WAS the word of God.

'The Scripture cannot be broken' (John 10:35).
He referred to Scripture as 'the commandment of God' (Matthew 15:3) and as the 'Word of God' (Mark 7:13).
'Until Heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the law, until all is accomplished' (Matthew 5:18).
MWWSI 2017

BennyCake

So how many of you, when struck, have literally turned the other cheek?

Talk about keeping you down, and in your place!

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

Quote from: muppet on February 08, 2015, 09:51:36 PM
Why do the Gospels of Mark and John not mention the virgin birth? Would this not be important?

No, more likely impotent.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

rosnarun

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

5:38-42 The plain instruction is, Suffer any injury that can be borne, for the sake of peace, committing your concerns to the Lord's keeping. And the sum of all is, that Christians must avoid disputing and striving. If any say, Flesh and blood cannot pass by such an affront, let them remember, that flesh and blood shall not inherit the kingdom of God; and those who act upon right principles will have most peace and comfort
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: frostbit on February 08, 2015, 04:13:02 PM
Genesis 38:9
Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so when he went in to his brother's wife, he wasted his seed on the ground in order not to give offspring to his brother. But what he did was displeasing in the sight of the LORD; so He took his life also.

If only Onan knew that jizzing on the floor would be common practice in 2015

Where does the bible stand on wasting it on the shower tray?

Yours in eternal damnation,
/Jim

muppet

If Christians need to follow all those rules to get into Heaven, will it will be much craic inside?
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Muppet I don't think it's fair to continually drag up old conversations because perhaps you're bored.
It has been discussed a couple of times on this board about Old Testament versus New Testament. All the quotes you bring up are mostly from the Old Testament.
The New Testament supersedes the old. Jesus fulfilled the teaching of the old. The old was designed to point the Jewish people to the Jewish Messiah. Jesus fulfilled the Old Testament and Jesus' teaching supersedes it.

Go an read a Catholic catechism or Pope Francis' teachings and show me where any of these things are promoted that you quote.

I don't know what your ultimate intent is in all of this? To save people? Are you genuinely interested in saving Christians from Christ? Or are you doing your best to reason with others on the subject in an effort to convince yourself? Something deep inside you telling you there's more....? Watch you don't get knocked off your horse Saul.... :)
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight