Vote

Started by Feckitt, May 21, 2014, 09:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

What I've learned this past few years.

Despite all the bluster,politicians from all sides work reasonably well together for the whole community on non contentious issues, the odd genuine bigot excepted.

Council elections in the north should be viewed with great importance.Councils decide our rates etc and the new super councils have additional powers like planning.By the way it is the remunerated officers who really run the councils not the elected representatives.

armaghniac

I see NI21 is at loggerheads already.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Apparently so

f**k your elections

They're all as shite as each other

BennyCake

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 21, 2014, 08:06:36 PM
I am still not sure what these cretins do for us in Europe outside of scrounging for grants and subsidies. Can we not just appoint a representative to plead poverty for all of us?

The laws are made in Brussels by unelected bureaucrats. So, it's pointless voting.

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on May 21, 2014, 02:43:36 PM
Quote from: Minder on May 21, 2014, 12:12:40 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on May 21, 2014, 11:57:54 AM
So what you are saying is that people so vote 1,2,3 etc

Dodds and Anderson are certs, I think, their seat between Alex Attwood or Jim Allister, I think

Quite. The question is will the SF people have the political maturity to support nationalism by putting Attwood first or will they only support their own cult.
When directly asked by the BBC, SF refused to request their supporters to transfer to the SDLP. Which is their prerogative. But next time there's a Fermanagh/South Tyrone situation, let's not fall for the cries of needing to maximise the nationalist vote.

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on May 21, 2014, 10:27:33 PM
I see NI21 is at loggerheads already.
A shame really, because Unionists really need a more liberal option, and NI21 could have been that option. What they've done now with the designation issue is remove the only thing that differentiated them from Alliance, as far as I can see. They'll get transfers, including from Nationalists voters, but the question is whether they'll have enough first preferences to still be in the running by the time those transfers come into play.

OakleafCounty

I'll be voting for Anna Lo. The only one with a set of balls and a brain to match.

Rois

I've been disenfranchised by my firm - have lost my vote as I'm working in London this wk.
This day 16 years ago we were all voting in the referendum for the GFA. It was my 18th birthday so I remember it well. This birthday will go down in memory as the one I didn't vote on.  :-\

macdanger2

Quote from: BennyCake on May 21, 2014, 12:38:57 PM
Voting is pointless. No matter who gets in, they're all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Quote from: deiseach on May 21, 2014, 12:44:01 PM
Personally I view voting as a civic duty. But if you don't want to vote, don't vote.

Go in and spoil your vote then - if say 60% of the votes were spoiled, it would send a serious message instead of the message of 40% turnout saying "I couldn't be arsed going to vote but I'll complain away anyway"

AQMP

Quote from: Hereiam on May 21, 2014, 10:14:49 AM
What puts me off is the fact that I have to drive past my local polling station which is about a mile from the house to go to one that is 7 miles away in a different town.

Likewise, a 13 mile round trip for me to vote...probably not.  I was going to vote for the only Republican standing...Anna Lo!

supersarsfields

Quote from: Rois on May 22, 2014, 08:02:16 AM
I've been disenfranchised by my firm - have lost my vote as I'm working in London this wk.
This day 16 years ago we were all voting in the referendum for the GFA. It was my 18th birthday so I remember it well. This birthday will go down in memory as the one I didn't vote on.  :-\

Happy Birthday Rois!!

AQMP

Dodds and Anderson are certs, I think, their seat between Alex Attwood or Jim Allister, I think

Quite. The question is will the SF people have the political maturity to support nationalism by putting Attwood first or will they only support their own cult.

Doubt whether there are two "nationalist" seats in the North...yet  As Martina Anderson said had there been a prospect of two nationalist/republican seats then SF would have run two candidates.  Anderson, Dodds & Nicholson in that order.  Allister polling numbers are well down on last time when I think he got 66,000 first preferences.  Will be interesting to see how UKIP do.

AQMP

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 21, 2014, 11:10:02 PM

When directly asked by the BBC, SF refused to request their supporters to transfer to the SDLP. Which is their prerogative. But next time there's a Fermanagh/South Tyrone situation, let's not fall for the cries of needing to maximise the nationalist vote.

Does the SDLP have a transfer policy to SF??  As I understand it SF are not advising supporters on transfers across the whole country/island/two jurisdictions. 

Interesting that you mention Fermanagh/Sth Tyrone (my own constituency).  During the last (admittedly acrimonious) election I was told face to face by an SDLP councillor, standing on East Bridge Street with Fearghal McKinney, that he would rather Rodney Connor were elected than Michelle Gildernew.  When I looked at McKinney, he nodded.  An interesting tactic to try to secure my vote!

give her dixie

Quote from: AQMP on May 22, 2014, 09:08:27 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 21, 2014, 11:10:02 PM

Does the SDLP have a transfer policy to SF??  As I understand it SF are not advising supporters on transfers across the whole country/island/two jurisdictions. 

Interesting that you mention Fermanagh/Sth Tyrone (my own constituency).  During the last (admittedly acrimonious) election I was told face to face by an SDLP councillor, standing on East Bridge Street with Fearghal McKinney, that he would rather Rodney Connor were elected than Michelle Gildernew.  When I looked at McKinney, he nodded.  An interesting tactic to try to secure my vote!

Sinn Fein needed the support from traditional SDLP voters to secure the seat.

This was a direct appeal by Michelle Gildernew to SDLP voters to "Lend" her their vote in the election.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWQ5VBBoUJg
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

AQMP

I thought it was the Protestant farmers that got her elected!