Gay marriage

Started by Eamonnca1, February 09, 2012, 07:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Step in the right direction for equality yesterday from the 9th circuit court of appeals.  But what will the Supreme Court make of Prop 8?

I await the chorus of conservative howling about "judicial activism" in 5-4-3-2-1-

J70

Not sure about the legal technicalities and how the current supreme court will rule (the Citizens United decision is really showing their wisdom this year) and the implications for other states, but the idea that something like marriage rights should be subject to popular vote is just ridiculous. The only argument against it is that it offends some people's religious sensibilities, which is no basis whatsoever for prohibiting it.

EC Unique

Gay marriage is fine, what ever they want themselves is no bother. As long as they can not adopt children.

The Iceman

So will you be the Husband or the wife Eamonn and when's the big day?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Puckoon

Do you know any gay couples with adopted children EC? Have you any rationale for suggesting that a gay couple cannot adopt a child? Is it just adoption? Can they use invitro fertilization or third parties to become parents - or does that fall into an area of concern for you?

Is what you are actually saying, and I'm paraphrasing here so bear with me 'Gay people should not be allowed to raise children'?

Mayo4Sam

Clearly Puckoon they're unfit parents cause there's something wrong with them  :-\
Maybe EC is afraid they'll catch the gay?

It's people and comments like EC that are the problem, thinking they are all liberal but basically with a different stereotype.

Why wouldn't they be allowed adopt? Surely it's whether two (or one or three for that matter) people will provide a loving and stable home for the child?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

nifan

Quote from: EC Unique on February 09, 2012, 02:51:52 PM
Gay marriage is fine, what ever they want themselves is no bother. As long as they can not adopt children.

Gay couples should have as much right as anyone else to adopt as long as they can provide the same stability and support as any other couple.

What reason would there be for preventing it?

EC Unique

Quote from: heganboy on February 09, 2012, 02:58:20 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 09, 2012, 02:51:52 PM
As long as they can not adopt children.

eh, Why?

Just does not rest easy with me. A traditional mother and father parentage is more suitable in my opinion. Just my opinion by the way so don't all get in a wee hissy fit about it.

Puckoon

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. It is however an ignorant and ill informed one.

EC Unique

Quote from: Puckoon on February 09, 2012, 03:35:07 PM
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. It is however an ignorant and ill informed one.

That, sir, is your opinion and not fact.

I'm sure I'm not on my own here but doubt if many will voice agreement.

armaghniac

QuoteIt is however an ignorant and ill informed one.

I don't think you can condemn another poster as ignorant and uninformed because you disagree with him. This is behaviour ignorant of manners.

Children in the normal run of things arise from normal couples. Where they need to be adopted they should in general be adopted by similar couples. Of course if there is a war or something and lots of orphans then all sorts of configurations of caring adults can play a role, but in a normal situation then normal arrangements should apply and there is little need for social experimentation on children when normal couples are available.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Iceman

In the grand scheme of things I don't agree with it either.
Many people will have "informed" opinions based on their personal experiences with Gay couples and Gay parents and that's fine, be those positive or negative.

I don't feel the need to justify my reasons why or why not but I did feel the need to state my opinion.

Eamonn I wish you all the best
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Puckoon

If your rationale is simply it just does not sit easy with you - then it is more fact than my opinion that your opinion is ignorant and ill informed.

If you have specific reasons, or examples which outline why Gay people make bad parents then your opinon might begin to carry some substantiation. As it stands currently it's just a dumb, ignorant one.

I too am sure you are not on your own here, a homophobic culture still exists in many people. At least you have the convitction to display your bigotry for all to see.

Puckoon

Quote from: armaghniac on February 09, 2012, 03:43:18 PM
QuoteIt is however an ignorant and ill informed one.

I don't think you can condemn another poster as ignorant and uninformed because you disagree with him. This is behaviour ignorant of manners.

The issue is not disagreement - the issue is that "it does not sit easy with me" is zero rationale for discriminating against another human being on the basis of the sexual orientation as an obstacle to their suitability for parenthood.