Gay marriage

Started by Eamonnca1, February 09, 2012, 07:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on February 09, 2012, 03:43:18 PM

Children in the normal run of things arise from normal couples. Where they need to be adopted they should in general be adopted by similar couples. Of course if there is a war or something and lots of orphans then all sorts of configurations of caring adults can play a role, but in a normal situation then normal arrangements should apply and there is little need for social experimentation on children when normal couples are available.

+1 except I'd use "male and female" couples instead of the word "normal" .
I know some male and female couples who are far from what I'd consider normal :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

theskull1

Quote from: The Iceman on February 09, 2012, 02:57:52 PM
So will you be the Husband or the wife Eamonn and when's the big day?

Says the man who doesn't like pussies  ;D
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

J70

Quote from: Puckoon on February 09, 2012, 03:51:20 PM
QuoteIt is however an ignorant and ill informed one.

I don't think you can condemn another poster as ignorant and uninformed because you disagree with him. This is behaviour ignorant of manners.

The issue is not disagreement - the issue is that "it does not sit easy with me" is zero rationale for discriminating against another human being on the basis of the sexual orientation as an obstacle to their suitability for parenthood.

Well said.  Society should not be run based on placating bigotry and prejudice, however sincerely held or religious based. If there is a rational argument for discrimination against gays, then let the proponents outlines it.

And how is it "bad manners" to condemn prejudice?

EC Unique

Quote from: Puckoon on February 09, 2012, 03:48:39 PM
If your rationale is simply it just does not sit easy with you - then it is more fact than my opinion that your opinion is ignorant and ill informed.

If you have specific reasons, or examples which outline why Gay people make bad parents then your opinon might begin to carry some substantiation. As it stands currently it's just a dumb, ignorant one.

I too am sure you are not on your own here, a homophobic culture still exists in many people. At least you have the convitction to display your bigotry for all to see.

I also stated that a traditional mother and father partnership, in my opinion, is more suitable. But don't let that get in the way of your little rant.

If thinking a gay couple are less suitable to bringing up children than a traditional male female couple makes me homophobic then so be it. I have no problem with that.

Puckoon

Children in the normal run of things arise from normal couples. Where they need to be adopted they should in general be adopted by similar couples. Of course if there is a war or something and lots of orphans then all sorts of configurations of caring adults can play a role, but in a normal situation then normal arrangements should apply and there is little need for social experimentation on children when normal couples are available.

Are we talking about natural procreation here, or parenting? Anyone (barring the infertile) has the ability to become a mother, or father. That is to say they can create life. Not everyone, including "normal heterosexual couples" (shock horror!!) has the ability to parent a child to adulthood. The ability to parent and love a child, to help them grow into a successful young adult is neither present in heterosexual people, nor absent in homosexual people as some kind of a default setting.

The argument of "normalcy" existing solely in heterosexual sets of parents and heterosexual (traditional) homes is baseless.

J OGorman

Quote from: EC Unique on February 09, 2012, 02:51:52 PM
Gay marriage is fine, what ever they want themselves is no bother. As long as they can not adopt children.

so, you're a racist who is against gay couples rearing a child....do you own a few shotguns, have a pick-up truck and a wife going by the name of Darlene?

fitzroyalty

I am against Gay people adopting because it could lead to bullying of the child in later life.

IMO one of the fundamental aspects of adoption is giving the child a loving mother and father. It is not fair for a child to be adopted by either two men or two women and thus be deprived of a loving father/mother figure in their childhood.

If that makes me ignorant and intolerant then that's what I am.

Captain Obvious

It's sad to say even in these times deeply religious people will never accept gay marriage or there right to parenthood.

Hardy

Quote from: J OGorman on February 09, 2012, 04:03:04 PM
Gay marriage is fine, what ever they want themselves is no bother. As long as they can not adopt children.

so, you're a racist who is against gay couples rearing a child....do you own a few shotguns, have a pick-up truck and a wife going by the name of Darlene?

You don't see the irony in that post, do you?

J OGorman

Quote from: Hardy on February 09, 2012, 04:12:38 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on February 09, 2012, 04:03:04 PM

You don't see the irony in that post, do you?

indeed, was trying to get down to a certain tongue in cheek level to be understood

J70

Quote from: fitzroyalty on February 09, 2012, 04:03:22 PM
I am against Gay people adopting because it could lead to bullying of the child in later life.

IMO one of the fundamental aspects of adoption is giving the child a loving mother and father. It is not fair for a child to be adopted by either two men or two women and thus be deprived of a loving father/mother figure in their childhood.

By that rationale we should abolish immigration and the adoption of chinese and romanian orphans. Sure those kids will be subject to bullying by ignorant children learning their bigotry at their parents' knees as well.

westmayo

If they child is bullied in later life because of his gay adoptive parents, what does that say about the loving mother and father that raised the child the that's the bully and the upbringing they had.

Denn Forever

Gay couples don't live all by themselves.  They have an extended familiy which will hopefully provide good Male/Female role models.

A what about people who lose a Parent
Quoteand thus be deprived of a loving father/mother figure in their childhood.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Puckoon

There's reason in this post, at least.

Bullying - that is a good point. It is a point though that says more about our culture than it says about the ability of gay people to raise a child. Where do we draw the line on those who might be bullied? Red haired couples, indian couples, hairy couples that might have a young girl that needs her lip waxed from the age of 14? Couples who won't pay enough attention to their kids hygeine? I know, I know - I'm getting ridiculous... right?

Regarding the second point - children up for adoption are often times deprived of the love of a mother and father before they are even born. Children need love - lots of it. It comes in many different forms and cannot be discounted because on the outisde it does not match societies definition (outdated) of normal.

We shouldn't judge based on our own ignorance. That is a bigger societal problem.