Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2023, 12:36:35 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on August 15, 2023, 12:29:40 PM
Quote from: SaffronSports on August 15, 2023, 12:24:43 PM
I could be wrong but I'd say players would probably be happy playing on Friday evening and then have the rest of the weekend free. Generally what I've heard from players over the years is the majority don't like Sunday matches.

Saturday probably best, Friday ok for teachers and the like sitting on their hole all day. If you are just off a building site it's not ideal

Back in the day, building sites closed early enough, to collect the wages at the bar lol!!

Timings will not suit everyone, these lads nowadays are not going to miss the match because of work. but yeah, come the weekend I'd preferred it when it was Friday nights, very rare in my day did the games at senior change from Wed or Sunday's

The amount of lads, especially tradesmen on sites, who take a half-day on Fridays is unreal.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on August 15, 2023, 01:05:54 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2023, 12:36:35 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on August 15, 2023, 12:29:40 PM
I could be wrong but I'd say players would probably be happy playing on Friday evening and then have the rest of the weekend free. Generally what I've heard from players over the years is the majority don't like Sunday matches.

Saturday probably best, Friday ok for teachers and the like sitting on their hole all day. If you are just off a building site it's not ideal

Back in the day, building sites closed early enough, to collect the wages at the bar lol!!

Timings will not suit everyone, these lads nowadays are not going to miss the match because of work. but yeah, come the weekend I'd preferred it when it was Friday nights, very rare in my day did the games at senior change from Wed or Sunday's

The amount of lads, especially tradesmen on sites, who take a half-day on Fridays is unreal.

Not saying it doesn't happen, when I was at the tools, it was always half day Fridays, or at the very latest, in one company 3pm.

Again a lot of lads/students and so on all work weekends, its hard to keep everyone happy.

By having them all on the one day, Sunday, most people won't have the opportunity to go to all the games or some of them, double headers not the norm for group games which (bar one) will be home venues
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NorthAntrim

i would tend to agree re league ( play myself )
you dont want every sunday tied all year, come championship i think thats different. Small sacrifice to make for 4 or 5 weekends a year

NorthAntrim

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2023, 08:58:15 AM
Quote from: NorthAntrim on August 14, 2023, 04:25:03 PM
Its the players working and travelling to be at a pitch for 6.30 at the latest. Obviously this happens with league but champ is different. Games are tight for 7.30 now too light wise. A dull wet friday and itll be fairly dark by the end

So have them all on a Sunday at the same time?

Fridays games now moved forward for light issues....

saffman

Friday games are the way forward

Player WhatsApp groups up and down the county will be going mental making plans for post game pints.

No training saturday, 2 weeks out from the next championship game.

"Were can we go without the gaffer finding out"

"If anyone gets us caught don't bother coming back"

johnnycool

Quote from: saffman on August 17, 2023, 04:42:54 PM

Player WhatsApp groups up and down the county will be going mental making plans for post game pints.

What would be wrong with the lads heading out for a few pints after a game? Never understood that as it's no worse than horsing a big, greasy chinese or chippy into you.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on August 18, 2023, 11:46:58 AM
Quote from: saffman on August 17, 2023, 04:42:54 PM

What would be wrong with the lads heading out for a few pints after a game? Never understood that as it's no worse than horsing a big, greasy chinese or chippy into you.

A lot of them wouldn't be horsing a greasy chip butty into them either nowadays!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Big enough, though I guess expected, win for cushendall. Gnm in the junior appear a different beast to league as they looked to beat the biddies handy enough.

Saffrongael

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 18, 2023, 09:44:32 PM
Big enough, though I guess expected, win for cushendall. Gnm in the junior appear a different beast to league as they looked to beat the biddies handy enough.

No that was Div 4 St Brigids they played
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

imtommygunn

So Dunloy score 31 points against Rossa who are probably not far off the second best team in the championship    ??? Doesn't bode well for cushendall or loughgiel.

Saffrongael

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 19, 2023, 07:46:40 PM
So Dunloy score 31 points against Rossa who are probably not far off the second best team in the championship  ?? Doesn't bode well for cushendall or loughgiel.

Yeah I think Dunloy are a good bit better than Cushendall/Loughgiel
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

Ahoghill one behind the johnnies a good bit into the second half. That'd be a big shock if ahoghill were to win. (They were nine or so behind so are on the comeback).

Jonkunlon

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 19, 2023, 08:06:18 PM
Ahoghill one behind the johnnies a good bit into the second half. That'd be a big shock if ahoghill were to win. (They were nine or so behind so are on the comeback).

St John's are a shadow of the team they were. Senior Championship is all very predictable. Roll on the semi-finals. Be interesting to see if Ballycastle can trouble Loughgiel tomorrow. They've a lot of injuries though.

Intermediate tight and tense as always. Hard to predict the top two in each group after two rounds. I'd probably go Sarsfields/Glenariffe  and Cushendun/Randalstown.

Junior is looking like Armoy/Lamh Dearg and Cloughmills/Ballymena. Gorts can't be written off yet either in their group.

breakingball

What we have seen so far only confirms what we know

Dunloy are still number 1
Cushendall are number 2 and their only realistic challengers
Loughgiel are number 3
The rest don't count