Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: shawshank on October 11, 2021, 10:53:22 AM
The current standard is rank lads ffs. The standard below, whats that? Lennox Lewis?

The standard today is no different than any other period really.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

brokencrossbar1

I suppose where I am coming from is directly relative to size. As many have said the heavy weights now are huge, probably back in the day they would have been super heavy weights. Foreman would have been considered big for his era and he is 'only' 6'3. If you strip away the size, would the likes of Fury et al have the 'skills' that Ali, or Holyfield, or Tyson had(although it's accepted that Tysons main skill was he was just a relentless powerful puncher)?

Saffrongael

Lennox Lewis was a very good "big" boxer then, what was he 6ft 5'' ? And could box as well as anyone
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

nrico2006

The thing is, you can't strip away size.  That's why pound for pound lists do my head in, they mean nothing.  The Heavyweight king is the best boxer in the world, with Fury being number 1 at the minute. 

On another note, the judges cards weren't too bad at the weekend, although one judge only give Fury a 10-9 win in the 10th even though he knocked Wilder down.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JoG2

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 11, 2021, 01:55:46 PM
The thing is, you can't strip away size.  That's why pound for pound lists do my head in, they mean nothing.  The Heavyweight king is the best boxer in the world, with Fury being number 1 at the minute. 

On another note, the judges cards weren't too bad at the weekend, altho8ugh one judge only give Fury a 10-8 win in the 10th even though he knocked Wilder down.

Is 10-8 not right? With a 10-7 for example for a 2 knock downs in a round?

nrico2006

Quote from: JoG2 on October 11, 2021, 02:45:31 PM

On another note, the judges cards weren't too bad at the weekend, altho8ugh one judge only give Fury a 10-8 win in the 10th even though he knocked Wilder down.

Is 10-8 not right? With a 10-7 for example for a 2 knock downs in a round?

Sorry, I meant he only gave him a 10-9 win.

gallsman

Lads slating Lennox Lewis. Really? He's one of the greatest heavyweights of all time lads

gallsman

On another note, the judges cards weren't too bad at the weekend, although one judge only give Fury a 10-9 win in the 10th even though he knocked Wilder down.

That's absolutely nonsense. Was Wlad ever a better boxer than Mayweather? Than Pacquiao?

bennydorano

Heavyweight division going to be very interesting for a couple of years. Dillian Whyte (assuming he wins his end of month bout) waiting in the wings for Fury, a very dangerous customer.

Reading bits and pieces about AJ and I see red flags. Days after his defeat he was saying he's learned his lesson from first Usyk fight, I don't see how??? The only way I see him winning the rematch is if he comes back a stone plus heavier and clobbers him, there's no parallel universe anywhere where he outboxes Usyk. Now he's supposedly back in training for the rematch earmarked for Spring - unless that's PR it seems way too early, he's hardly comedown of his defeat ffs. There's a real whiff of panic imo.

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on October 11, 2021, 04:58:37 PM

That's absolutely nonsense. Was Wlad ever a better boxer than Mayweather? Than Pacquiao?

Wise up.  Klitschko would have beat both those fighters if they had fought, therefore he was the better boxer.

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 11, 2021, 07:42:01 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 11, 2021, 04:58:37 PM

Wise up.  Klitschko would have beat both those fighters if they had fought, therefore he was the better boxer.

That's not how it works. Weight classes have existed since the London Prize Ring days for a reason. Wlad is an all time great fighter, and both of them were infinitely superior to him.

Countless heavyweights you've never heard the name of would KO Mayweather and Pacquiao. Are they all "better boxers" then them?

Catch yourself on.

Saffrongael

Quote from: gallsman on October 11, 2021, 04:50:29 PM
Lads slating Lennox Lewis. Really? He's one of the greatest heavyweights of all time lads

Exactly, what a jab he had
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Wildweasel74

They bigger but no where near as fit. Wilder from a boxing point of view is very limited, Fury fighting 2 stone overweight, Foreman who hits harder that Wilder would knock Fury out. Fury size would be a major advantage against shorter heavyweights under 6ft but I believe Tyson (Mike) would knocked Fury out with close-in uppercuts.

Taylor

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 11, 2021, 10:10:22 PM
They bigger but no where near as fit. Wilder from a boxing point of view is very limited, Fury fighting 2 stone overweight, Foreman who hits harder that Wilder would out Fury out. Fury size would be a major advantage against shorter heavyweights under 6ft but I believe Tyson (Mike) would knocked Fury out with close-in uppercuts.

Wait? What?

HiMucker

Decided to watch the Tyson doc again on prime there.
And remembered agreeing with some of the posts here  that the current heavyweights absolutely would compete with previous eras no problem due to size. And agreeing that Fury probably just being humble about Tyson knocking him out in 30 secs. I'll be honest completely changed my mind again lol. Jesus nearly forgot how ferocious a puncher he was. The speed power, I haven't seeing anything like it since. I'd say Fury maybe isn't far wrong.