RIP Michaela McAreavey

Started by MR99, January 10, 2011, 05:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clown

Since hearing the news on Monday evening I have thought of nothing else than this terrible, horrific tragedy. Its such a cruel world we live in when someone who has so much good in them is taken from this life in this way.
None of us can imagine what John, Mickey, Marian,the brothers and Michaela's friends and wider family circle are going through at this time

I never met Michaela but from what i've heard, i wish i had known this wonderful person. I have always had great admiration for Mickey and this increased immeasurably when i saw his interview on Tuesday which reduced myself and thousands of others to tears. He spoke with dignity, spirit and love - what a truly great man.

Ireland has lost a wonderful ambassador and a lady.

May Michaela rest in peace and look down on her loved ones guiding them and helping them to look back on her life and smile, and to one day get over this loss.

saffron sam2

Nice gesture from Paddy McCourt last night, with a black armband.

Nice gesture too with the minute's silence before the Donegal Celtic Cliftonville match, made more poignant by the fact that DC's captain (and former Davitt's man) Stephen McAlorum lost his yonger sister in equally tragic circumstances a few years ago.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ross matt

Quote from: Kerry Mike on January 13, 2011, 09:50:47 AM
Just seen the authorities have cleared Michaela's remains to be flown home today which will be some comfort for her family, but I also heard mention last night on the RTE news they want John to remain until next week to help conclude their investigations, lets hope common sense pervails and they allow John accompany his wife on her last journey home today, he has been though too much already this week for any man to handle besides being denied the opportunity to accompany her remains back for her funeral.

Its all so sad. may she rest in peace.

Yeah  Mike. Read that and couldnt believe it. Like you said I think (hope) common sense prevails.

armaghniac

QuoteLike you said I think (hope) common sense prevails.

It has been specifically stated several times on RTE this morning that John will be travelling home later today in the company of his brother and brother in law. There is no point in multiple posts about what was said yesterday.

They also said that the hotel had organised a Mass for the staff and that the family would attend, which was a decent gesture.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ross matt

Quote from: armaghniac on January 13, 2011, 01:01:25 PM
QuoteLike you said I think (hope) common sense prevails.

It has been specifically stated several times on RTE this morning that John will be travelling home later today in the company of his brother and brother in law. There is no point in multiple posts about what was said yesterday.

They also said that the hotel had organised a Mass for the staff and that the family would attend, which was a decent gesture.
Read it in the paper this am. Didnt hear any news all day since. Fair enough.

spanner

Rest in Peace, Michaela.

My thoughts are with her husband and both families at this time.

bridge fan

RIP     Condolences to both families

Aaron Boone

Is Ballymacelroy Chapel at that Todds Leap sign, coming from Ballygawley?

Don Johnson

Quote from: Aaron Boone on January 13, 2011, 11:13:32 PM
Is Ballymacelroy Chapel at that Todds Leap sign, coming from Ballygawley?

At the Ballygawley roundabout, take signposts for Omagh, then on the straight road its about a mile down on the right hand side.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Aaron Boone on January 13, 2011, 11:13:32 PM
Is Ballymacilroy Chapel at that Todds Leap sign, coming from Ballygawley?

That'd be the exact one AB.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Oraisteach

Just saw this.  Terribly terribly sad

5 Sams

Article Taken from Belfast Telegraph
written By John Campbell

Down chairman Seamus Walsh spoke last night of the special affinity which exists between his county and Tyrone.

Walsh was among the first to contact his Red Hands counterpart Ciaran McLaughlin to express sympathy following the death of Michaela McAreavey and has since reflected on the support his own county received from Tyrone in relation to recent tragic events.

Walsh said: "We had the sudden death of 17-year-old Minor footballer Patrick Dinsmore last year while playing for his club Warrenpoint and then just a week before Christmas the mother of our county Allstar Danny Hughes died just four weeks after having been diagnosed with cancer.

"These were two heavy burdens for us to bear but we got great support from many sources especially Tyrone."

And when Down staged the Golden Jubilee celebrations in the Slieve Donard Hotel Newcastle to mark the capture of the 1960 All-Ireland football title, Tyrone were among the counties to enthusiastically embrace their jubilations.

"I would have to say that we have a very strong bond with Tyrone. The marriage of Michaela Harte and John McAreavey was seen by us all in a sense as a further cementing of this bond but sadly we now find ourselves preparing for Michaela's funeral," added Walsh.

And he has pledged "every support" from the county board for the Harte and McAreavey families.

"Their pain is beyond comprehension. Words seem totally inadequate at a time like this. We all have families whom we cherish and to lose a loved one in such terrible circumstances defies belief," said Walsh.

The Down link with Tyrone will be brought very much into focus once again next month when a combined Warrenpoint-Rostrevor side will take on a South Down team in a special match in memory of the late Patrick Dinsmore.

The game will go ahead at Moygannon, Warrenpoint with a 2pm throw-in and the proceeds will go to the Cormac Trust, the fund set up in Tyrone in the aftermath of the sudden death of Tyrone captain Cormac McAnallen six years ago.

Walsh said: "We feel that this is a very deserving cause to benefit from monies raised through this game.

"Cormac McAnallen, like Patrick Dinsmore and Michaela McAreavey, was an exceptional person. He set a great example for everyone with whom he came into contact.

The Aristocrat Years

ziggysego

Michaela's family have asked, instead of flowers, could people make a donation to the Cormac McAnallen Trust & Paul McGirr Fund.
Testing Accessibility

EC Unique

Please take note:

"As Michaela returns home we respectfully ask for full privacy to allow our two families, united in sorrow, to have the space and time to spend with a much-loved wife, daughter and sister.

"Therefore the wake and private family service on the evening of Friday 14 January will be for immediate family only."

Errigal Ciaran GAC are putting a plan together to cope with the crowds on Saturday,Sunday and Monday.

Doogie Browser

Lovely tribute from Brian Carthy in Irish News today.