Belfast GAA is dying...

Started by Belfast GAA man, February 17, 2017, 09:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gall the way

Club Chairperson was at the meeting on Thurs regarding this "belfast plan." Big focus on schools and belfast city council facilities, when asked about support offered to clubs it was basically "we will address that later" by a T.R county board member. Now I know schools should have loads of support from the GAA but surely we could send them to our clubs rather than to a belfast city council facility on which we have to pay money for??
There was a fella called Pat OHagan there, nearly as though he was one of the heads of this plan, to be honest, Ive never heard of this guy? Nothing against him but Does he have experience in sports development or the structures of whats going on in Belfast GAA? I talk to any of our juvenile coaches, as well as some lads from our club that work in the GAA on the ground and none of them were asked their opinion? Should our clubs and current county staff not be consulted rather than TOLD whats happening by those with little experience?

MoChara

Quote from: Gall the way on August 07, 2017, 10:16:39 AM
Club Chairperson was at the meeting on Thurs regarding this "belfast plan." Big focus on schools and belfast city council facilities, when asked about support offered to clubs it was basically "we will address that later" by a T.R county board member. Now I know schools should have loads of support from the GAA but surely we could send them to our clubs rather than to a belfast city council facility on which we have to pay money for??
There was a fella called Pat OHagan there, nearly as though he was one of the heads of this plan, to be honest, Ive never heard of this guy? Nothing against him but Does he have experience in sports development or the structures of whats going on in Belfast GAA? I talk to any of our juvenile coaches, as well as some lads from our club that work in the GAA on the ground and none of them were asked their opinion? Should our clubs and current county staff not be consulted rather than TOLD whats happening by those with little experience?

Would it be the same fella as the County Hearing Committee Chairperson,

http://antrimgaa.mmcsolutions.biz/committees/county-hearings-committee
give him a ring there and find out sure lol

BrendanAntrim

I don't concur with the subject heading on this thread - the GAA in Belfast isn't 'dying' but we aren't in great shape. here's u16 league 'results' from Div 2 of the league since resumption last week.

Not a game played.

F u16 football 2   3 Aug 2017   Rossa           c/g   v   w/o   Gael an tSleibhe Dhuibh         
F u16 football 2   3 Aug 2017   St Johns           c/g   v   w/o   Pearses         
F u16 football 2   10 Aug 2017   St Johns           c/g   v   w/o   St Brigids B         
F u16 football 2   10 Aug 2017   Pearses           ftf   v   w/o   Gael an tSleibhe Dhuibh         
F u16 football 2   17 Aug 2017   St Brigids B   w/o   v   ftf   Pearses         

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on August 11, 2017, 11:22:17 PM
I don't concur with the subject heading on this thread - the GAA in Belfast isn't 'dying' but we aren't in great shape. here's u16 league 'results' from Div 2 of the league since resumption last week.

Not a game played.

F u16 football 2   3 Aug 2017   Rossa           c/g   v   w/o   Gael an tSleibhe Dhuibh         
F u16 football 2   3 Aug 2017   St Johns           c/g   v   w/o   Pearses         
F u16 football 2   10 Aug 2017   St Johns           c/g   v   w/o   St Brigids B         
F u16 football 2   10 Aug 2017   Pearses           ftf   v   w/o   Gael an tSleibhe Dhuibh         
F u16 football 2   17 Aug 2017   St Brigids B   w/o   v   ftf   Pearses
Disgraceful. Can't imagine it happening in Tyrone, Derry etc.

jdyok

I think it's 'conceded the game'...

BrendanAntrim

Clubs unable to field teams. Lack of numbers of boys playing football. Summer is a factor but still, it's not healthy.

delgany

Under age fixtures  need a radical rethink.
U16 &18 Fixtures completely fall apart from may to end of August. Exams and holidays - A big factor...at this age ...they go abroad in their droves.
The administrators need to reflect on this.
Start season earlier ....play matches on 4g pitches at later times on Fri /sat .
Copy grading system in Down where teams play 15 /13 /11  and even 9 a side for smallest club's.
It needs to reflect the needs of the players and not what the administration think they need

Belfast GAA man

That list of matches not happening at u16 is really bad given what a crucial age group that is.
Does the county board pay an oversight role in monitoring these issues does anyone know or is it just left to congress every year for the south antrim chairperson to tell everyone that everything in the garden is rosy?

City Dweller

Crazy set up in U16 B Championship, where St John who haven't fielded in second half of league are through to final with out having played a game, as Ardoyne and Pearses have pulled out.

3 teams in the "other side" of draw to battle it out to meet them.

Surely a redraw with 2 semi finals a better option??? - At least reward the teams who are turning out.

theskull1

A poor and sorry state of affairs
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Belfast GAA man

the u16 situation oultined above needs to be widely publicised to get some attenton/support for the clubs, new fixtures plans etc. No doubt in each of those teams that are not fielding there are 9/10 lads who want to play and now won't be playing for the forseeable and may be lost altogether. Its a shame that the press won't spend time highlighting this and chose to get excited about who the next Antrim manager will be when the reality is that the Antrim manager needs u16 / minor to be developing well if Antrim are ever to progress
Any word of this regeneration plan? 

Dave like the tv channel

Maybe Croke Park will give you some of Dublin's financial doping money. GAA is dying all over the country, due to poor structures and to modern lifestyles, where it's just not important to kids anymore.

The GAA would want to wake up pronto.

Belfast GAA man

Here's a simple solution to the financial inequality that he is damaging the GAA so badly:
Create rankings for each code, based on League positions and championship results, from 1 to 32
The 1st county, i.e. the best team, get the least central funds for their county to pay for coaches, pitches etc
The 32nd county, i.e. the worst team, get the biggest portion of the central funds to pay for coaches, pitches etc
Review every 3 years and do the rankings again and re-allocate accordingly
Why couldn't this be implemented?

thewobbler

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on March 16, 2018, 10:43:00 PM
Here's a simple solution to the financial inequality that he is damaging the GAA so badly:
Create rankings for each code, based on League positions and championship results, from 1 to 32
The 1st county, i.e. the best team, get the least central funds for their county to pay for coaches, pitches etc
The 32nd county, i.e. the worst team, get the biggest portion of the central funds to pay for coaches, pitches etc
Review every 3 years and do the rankings again and re-allocate accordingly
Why couldn't this be implemented?

If I'm getting this right, you're advocating that Leitrim, population 31,000, should get more money from central funds than Dublin, population 1.8m.

Sorry fella, but this is complete madness.

Na Glinntí Glasa

i see what hes saying there, its much the same as the way American football works where the worst team at the end of the season gets the first pick of the new college players into their squads.

One team never always remains at the top all the time.

The way the GAA is set up now is becoming an elitist championship where all they care about is the super 8 set up now and the show case games. they dont care about the teams outside of that as they wont make them any money. the big counties will remain at the top all the time and the game will slowly die off outside of it.

A young fella would seriously question why they would train 4 times a week to get 2 games and your season be over before it really even starts for the bigger counties.
hurl like f**k boi!