Paul Kimmage

Started by imtommygunn, September 30, 2017, 10:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: easytiger95 on October 02, 2017, 11:03:17 AM
I didn't listen to this debate as I believe the whole premise (ie. that Dublin's "actions" in the last two minutes are the same as a premeditated conspiracy to dope) was conflated to make headlines for Newstalk. Well done them.

Well that's where you start being wrong. Badly wrong. Kimmage's article was in the Sindo, they engaged on Twitter and then the debate was on an independent.ie podcast.

As I have said several times, the debate was largely around discussing what the actual concept of "cheating" is. There was no equivalence drawn between Dublin's tactics and systematic doping. He acknowledged that there are degrees of cheating. He considers those tactics cheating, you don't. It's a matter of opinion.

easytiger95

Quote from: gallsman on October 02, 2017, 11:24:02 AM
Quote from: easytiger95 on October 02, 2017, 11:03:17 AM
I didn't listen to this debate as I believe the whole premise (ie. that Dublin's "actions" in the last two minutes are the same as a premeditated conspiracy to dope) was conflated to make headlines for Newstalk. Well done them.

Well that's where you start being wrong. Badly wrong. Kimmage's article was in the Sindo, they engaged on Twitter and then the debate was on an independent.ie podcast.

As I have said several times, the debate was largely around discussing what the actual concept of "cheating" is. There was no equivalence drawn between Dublin's tactics and systematic doping. He acknowledged that there are degrees of cheating. He considers those tactics cheating, you don't. It's a matter of opinion.

I don't think misidentifying a podcast is an example of being "wrong. badly wrong" - you'll notice most of my post was taken up with the performance of his that I did listen to - the paper review the previous week. And in his last two articles, he has taken on the idea that "win at all costs" attitude, which he accuses the dubs of having, is comparable to systemic cheats like Lance Armstrong.

I'm sorry guys, mea culpa for not listening to that particular podcast, but I really think that there are little enough real achievements in global sport without tearing down one genuinely worthy of note for no substantive reason bar keeping journalists in a press room for 20 minutes.

The problem here was that the country wanted Mayo to win, completely understandably. The Dubs went all out to beat the one opponent who have always tested them. If you want to see what Mayo would have done to protect a one point win, please look at the last five minutes of the 2012 game. Anyone, anyone, who has ever played a team sport is familiar with the concept of taking one for the team. And this is where Kimmage falls down in my humble opinion.

Anyhoo...I kind of agree about the rugby though.  :D

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 02, 2017, 11:06:20 AM
You should listen to it easytiger. To be honest it's not that much about the Dubs in the end, it's more about Kimmage's problems with Fitzgerald's tweets. For such a crusader, he has remarkably thin skin.

He is right about Rugby though.

Although Kimmage has a valid argument in some regards, I agree with Fitzgerald that he is a bully.
He only wanted to engage with him on his terms and constantly talked over him and was overly aggressive IMO.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 02, 2017, 11:40:56 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 02, 2017, 11:06:20 AM
You should listen to it easytiger. To be honest it's not that much about the Dubs in the end, it's more about Kimmage's problems with Fitzgerald's tweets. For such a crusader, he has remarkably thin skin.

He is right about Rugby though.

Although Kimmage has a valid argument in some regards, I agree with Fitzgerald that he is a bully.
He only wanted to engage with him on his terms and constantly talked over him and was overly aggressive IMO.

I do too. I find him a hard listen, but as I said that in itself doesn't preclude him from being right a lot of the time.

gallsman

Kimmage is a bully but Fitzgerald was the bully on the podcast. We don't have all day, Paul. When are we going to get to the point, Paul. Why haven't you identified your sources, isn't that very convenient, Paul.

AZOffaly

Quote from: gallsman on October 02, 2017, 11:48:32 AM
Kimmage is a bully but Fitzgerald was the bully on the podcast. We don't have all day, Paul. When are we going to get to the point, Paul. Why haven't you identified your sources, isn't that very convenient, Paul.

I think Fitzgerald was out of his depth. I'd say he puked in his mouth when he saw all the backup material. (None of which related to the Dubs obviously!)

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 02, 2017, 11:52:34 AM

I think Fitzgerald was out of his depth. I'd say he puked in his mouth when he saw all the backup material. (None of which related to the Dubs obviously!)

Fitzgerald weighing in on his Dubs piece was just lighting the touchpaper really.

magpie seanie

Calling Dublin cheats is just bullshit, headline and attention grabbing shit unless he calls every gaelic football team who has done the same "cheats" also. I have a lot of admiration for what Kimmage has done but think he's very vain and very unlikable. I was glad to see Fitzgerald stand up to him.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 02, 2017, 11:52:34 AM

Apart from.the rules for Gaelic football

It is interesting to compare Kimmage's article the Monday before the match with what he wrote after the match. The last 2 minutes were a disgrace.

Fitzgerald came across very badly in the discussion.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

INDIANA

A deranged loon . He has no authority to speak

Orchard park

Quote from: INDIANA on October 02, 2017, 02:12:56 PM
A deranged loon . He has no authority to speak

and as for Paul Kimmage

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dinny Breen

Kimmage is a p***k but amusing that he is right about cyclling, rugby etc but wrong about the GAA. He's not the only one with thin skin.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 02, 2017, 03:52:49 PM
Kimmage is a p***k but amusing that he is right about cyclling, rugby etc but wrong about the GAA. He's not the only one with thin skin.

What has he said about the GAA? I thought he said the GAA seemed ok? He was on about cheating and cynical play. I don't think there's much wrong with amateur rugby either. I wouldn't think steroid or HGH or anything like that is a problem in the GAA, but I'm sure some lads are doing stupid stuff. With all the supplements and other bits and bobs going on now, I'm not naive enough to think there's nobody trying to get clever. Probably only a matter of time before there's a big name catch.

Dinny Breen

Kimmage had a pop over Brendan O'Sullivan before and the whole handling of it and took Marc O'Sé apart in a debate on the Last Word I think. Personally I think he is right about how Dublin closed out the AI final, the problem though is not Dublin but the punishment, it doesn't fit the crime and Kieran Shannon addressed that well. Sport evolves but the GAA rule making process is archaic and doesn't evolve at the same rate. Kimmage makes one think, very strong in his convictions but it's all black and white and he never offers solutions.
#newbridgeornowhere