The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnevin

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 28, 2009, 11:01:19 PM
I'm a total philistine when it comes to the egg chasing lads but O'Driscoll's tackle at the end was unreal. Is he the best in the world in his position??? Every time I watch the team play he comes up with something special
No doubt he's the best 13 in the world .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 28, 2009, 11:14:38 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 28, 2009, 10:58:34 PM
good to see France getting beat tonight. not that i have anything great love for the all blacks, but i thought France were looking good recently. If Ireland can keep their heads and injury free, i have a feeling that that game in Paris on the 2nd weekend of the 6N could be a title decider. they are better then England and should win, even in Twickenham, and home advantage should see us home in the other 3.

Sportsmen in the UK get knighthoods and MBE's for fcuk all. Whats the equivelant down south. Whatever it is, BOD should get one. The most complete player of the last decade anywhere in the world. Hope he wins the IRB player of 2009 award shortly.

McCaw won it.  :-\

Kidney won the coach of the year award though.
[/quote

Have to agree with George Hook on that on about O'Driscoll-McCaw award...'Who-the-hell-cares?' Like the All Stars is a matter of opinion and often personal agendas and biases seem to come into it. As good as Irealnd are these days, I couldn't see them living with that All Black (and white) team... not yet anyway.   

CountyGK

heard some of the bbc analysts a few weeks back sayin that france would be favourites for the 6 nations, dallilageo said england would win it, others said wales as well, but ireland are surely favourites big time

Hoof Hearted

programme tomorrow night RTE1 9.35 about Irelands year. Should be the best programme of this nature for the last 60 odd years !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Gnevin

Quote from: CountyGK on November 29, 2009, 12:05:20 PM
heard some of the bbc analysts a few weeks back sayin that france would be favourites for the 6 nations, dallilageo said england would win it, others said wales as well, but ireland are surely favourites big time
Despite what we seen yesterday,they tend to blow hot and cold. France would be favourites ,their scrum against SA was massive and our record in Paris is just terrible.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

magickingdom

great achievement for ireland to go unbeaten thro 2009. hard to believe how low we were at the wc and the end of the e o sullivan era and now this. next to go unbeaten in a wc year!

johnpower

Good win ,Dont have much time for some of this South African team after the Loins tour . Was offered a ticket but decided that as Ireland never win when I go to see them play (0 from 12 so far ) I would watch it on the telly

Dinny Breen

Solid performance if unspectacular, beat the Springbok at their own game, Kearney, Bowe and Earls all very comfortable under the high ball, all 3 have solid GAA backgrounds and it shows.

Not much to add that already been said expect I thought O'Leary was exceptional today in that he played like an extra flanker and made sure we won our own ball by hitting the ruck when he had to.

Kidney is a definitely a role model for any aspiring coach across any code and his subtle transformation of this team has been fantastic to behold.

Think I'll travel to the France game as that will be the title decider.
#newbridgeornowhere

trileacman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 29, 2009, 10:54:47 PM
Solid performance if unspectacular, beat the Springbok at their own game, Kearney, Bowe and Earls all very comfortable under the high ball, all 3 have solid GAA backgrounds and it shows.

Not much to add that already been said expect I thought O'Leary was exceptional today in that he played like an extra flanker and made sure we won our own ball by hitting the ruck when he had to.

Kidney is a definitely a role model for any aspiring coach across any code and his subtle transformation of this team has been fantastic to behold.

Think I'll travel to the France game as that will be the title decider.

Whilst Im aware of the other two's GAA background is that one about Earls true? Didnt realise he had much of a GAA background? ???
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Gnevin

Injury setback for Leinster as Sexton suffers broken hand

Fly-half Jonathan Sexton played on against South Africa, despite breaking two fingers during the match.
IRELAND hero Jonathan Sexton proved to be as brave as he is skilful by playing out Saturday's thrilling 15-10 win over world champions South Africa with a broken hand.

The out-half contributed all of his side's points with five penalties at Croke Park and, despite breaking two fingers in his hand during the second half, was then part of Ireland's desperate defensive effort to keep out the Springboks as the visitors came in search of a winning score with the last play of the game.

Sexton had an X-ray on his hand after the match and will undergo further scans this week but looks certain to miss Leinster's back-to-back Heineken Cup pool clashes with the Scarlets next month.

However, Saturday's heroics capped a spectacular month for the 24-year-old who was man of the match on his international debut against Fiji a week earlier. Ireland coach Declan Kidney expressed his satisfaction that, with Ronan O'Gara also impressing in the draw with Australia, he now has access to two top-quality outside halves.

blessing

"Maybe if ROG was playing, we'd have won by more, who knows?" noted Kidney. "It's just a blessing to have an up-and-coming out-half and a world-class out-half, long may that continue."

Ireland's victory means they end the year unbeaten with nine victories and a draw from 10 matches while picking up their first Grand Slam in 61 years but it was their latest victims who picked up the IRB team of the year award following their Lions Series and Tri-Nations successes.

Ireland coach Kidney won the coach of the year award but his captain Brian O'Driscoll, despite Grand Slam and Heineken Cup glory for country and club, was surprisingly overlooked for the player of the year award in favour of New Zealand's captain Richie McCaw, who shone in the All Blacks' win over France on Saturday.

- Hugh Farrelly

Irish Independent

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/autumn-internationals/injury-setback-for-leinster-as-sexton-suffers-broken-hand-1958641.html

Not good for Leinster

deiseach

Quote from: Gnevin on November 29, 2009, 11:23:34 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on November 28, 2009, 11:01:19 PM
I'm a total philistine when it comes to the egg chasing lads but O'Driscoll's tackle at the end was unreal. Is he the best in the world in his position??? Every time I watch the team play he comes up with something special
No doubt he's the best 13 in the world .

I'd go so far as to say he is the best centre I've ever seen. I remember against England last year Ireland were camped on their line and needed someone to get the hard yard so they threw the ball to O'Driscoll, shoulder injury and all, and there was only ever going to be one result. Some ladyboy.

DuffleKing

omagh_gael

screenexile

You could have substituted those white jersies Ireland were wearing for red ones. I thought it was a real Munster performance. We were getting pummelled in the scrum but our defence held up well and with their backs against the wall a few times. Then when the opportunities presented themselves we took them. Reminded me of Munster's performance against Clermont Auvergne a few years ago where they pulled out a bonus point victory having struggled for long periods in the game.

Not a spectacular performance but a champions one in that we didn't play as well as we can but we still won the game.

Was very disappointed in South Africa. Steyn was WOEFUL and Kearney lapped up everything that was thrown at him. He has a real chance to establish himself as the best full back in the world with Byrne out. In fairness I think he is better than Byrne anyway but the next few months will confirm this.

I'm also impressed with how Kidney seems to encourage invention and that we do try and run the ball and play the rugby when other teams would be happy to boot ball down the pitch. Sexton has that youthful exuberance that ROG is lacking at this stage to try some things out of the ordinary and that should be encouraged.

We have a good kicking game, good lineout, good running game but the 2 things that worry me for the future are the breakdown and the scrum. Our play at the breakdown has improved but it needs to be taken to another level to compete with the Aussies and the All Blacks. Our scrum was destroyed at times and I think Healy and Flannery need some serious coaching over the next while and it's time to find a replacement for the Bull. I am a big Hayes fan and to me he has done every bit as much for Ireland as O'Driscoll or O'Gara but our scrum work is deteriorating and it needs improving very soon.

All in all I think we are in good shape for the 6N and as mentioned previously France is the main game for us providing we don't produce any horror shows (which don't tend to happen under Kidney). I am really looking forward to it and 2 Championships in a row would be a magnificent achievement!

trileacman

Quote from: screenexile on November 30, 2009, 11:31:26 AM
Kearney lapped up everything that was thrown at him. He has a real chance to establish himself as the best full back in the world with Byrne out. In fairness I think he is better than Byrne anyway but the next few months will confirm this.

He's a poorer attacker than Byrne and scores alot less tries. As much as I want Kearny to be the best full back in the world I dont think he is as good as everyone makes out.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014