The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Trimble's off-loading isn't good enough for an international 12.

lynchbhoy

oh well, thats Ireland fecked for an inside centre then as darcy survives on a massively overhyped reputation (lets face it for all his bravery , he's just too small as well as being too greedy - a prob that he has had during and since his schools cup days !)

Donnellys Hollow

Is Kevin Maggs still playing rugby with Bristol?!  :D
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Denn Forever

Quote from: Main Street on November 15, 2009, 07:15:34 PM

Why is there so much hoofing garryowens in the game these days?  to a casual observer like me it looks awful.

It is due to some rule changes so that it may not be advantagous to kick tto touch like before.

Hopefully some on on the board who is more au fait with rugby and how it should be played can explain.  Pretty please?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Gnevin

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 16, 2009, 12:49:46 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 15, 2009, 07:15:34 PM

Why is there so much hoofing garryowens in the game these days?  to a casual observer like me it looks awful.

It is due to some rule changes so that it may not be advantagous to kick tto touch like before.

Hopefully some on on the board who is more au fait with rugby and how it should be played can explain.  Pretty please?

Doe's rule where removed at the end of last season. Player just appear to have gotten use to kicking all the time even when opposition players can kick it out of the full if the ball is kick directly into the 22.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Donnellys Hollow

There are many theories on why its so common I suppose. The Argentina team used it to great effect in the RWC in '07 and other teams seem to be following their lead to a certain extent. I'd guess that part of the thinking behind it is that you are better off without the ball outside your own half rather than having it inside your own 22, such is the mess at ruck-time where you are very likely to get pinged while still in possession. Also teams with a weak line-out would prefer to keep the ball in-field rather than going for touch.

In a way it suits Ireland at the moment. Traditionally Irish full-backs (Dick Spring excepted - butterfingers!) have always been good under the high ball. Our back three at the moment, Kearney in particular, are all very solid under garryowens. Its not pretty to watch though.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

QuoteWhy is there so much hoofing garryowens in the game these days?  to a casual observer like me it looks awful.

Due to the law ammendment at ruck time teams are afraid of playing rugby in their own half in case they get turned over or give a penalty away hence they boot it down the pitch.

I suppose in Kearney's defence he did ship a big hit from Palu and looked quite dazed maybe semi-concussed.

Yep 12 is definitely a problem position but Sexton at 12 would allow you play wallace as he's very physical for a 10. Worth seeing how it goes against Fiji.
#newbridgeornowhere

GalwayBayBoy

IRB player of the year: Having scaled new heights over the past 12 months, it comes as no surprise to learn that Brian O'Driscoll has been shortlisted for the IRB player of the year. And the Grand Slam winning captain is joined on the select seven man panel by his Leinster and Ireland teammate Jamie Heaslip.

Although O'Driscoll has been shortlisted in the past, he has yet to claim the IRB accolade. In 2001 he lost out to Keith Wood and was overlooked again a year later when Fabien Galthie picked up the gong.

This year he will face competition from Heaslip, 2006 winner Richie McCaw, the South African duo of Francois Steyn and Fourie du Preez, Australia's Matt Giteau and Tom Croft of England.

The nominees were selected by an independent panel of judges that included Paul Wallace and Gavin Hastings. They watched over 60 hours of action from 46 matches, awarding points to the three players they thought stood out in each match.

The winner, together with the IRB Coach of the Year and IRB Team of the Year, will be announced on Sunday, Novmeber 29th.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 16, 2009, 01:01:10 PM
QuoteWhy is there so much hoofing garryowens in the game these days?  to a casual observer like me it looks awful.

Due to the law ammendment at ruck time teams are afraid of playing rugby in their own half in case they get turned over or give a penalty away hence they boot it down the pitch.

I suppose in Kearney's defence he did ship a big hit from Palu and looked quite dazed maybe semi-concussed.

Yep 12 is definitely a problem position but Sexton at 12 would allow you play wallace as he's very physical for a 10. Worth seeing how it goes against Fiji.
its not a bad tactic if you can find touch in the opponents half if you have a v good lineout like Ireland have and can win a large proportion of opponents throw ins.

Was also wondering about sexton at first centre still havent seen wallace playing enough times and enough times playing well to merit a call for fly half.
Like Darcy prob great at iinterprovincial/club but not quite good enough for international.

aussies surprised me yesterday, didnt think they were up to much but they have a decent young team if not much cover in the squad.
France are the team to beat for the six nations though based on their perf v sa.

Dinny Breen

oops meant Sexton at 10 and Wallace at 12, no rog  :-[
#newbridgeornowhere

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: mc_grens on November 16, 2009, 12:39:26 PM
D'Arcy is the best option when fit and in form.
I think the days of D'Arcy being able to get around players, squeeze through impossible gaps, even from a standing start are behind him.
He is a better 13 than 12, the Kevin Maggs style crash stuff doesn't suit him.

Main Street

Tough news about Luke Fitzgerald, he ruptured his knee ligaments and estimated out for 4 to 6 months.

Made me shudder at the time just watching him awkwardly twist his knee when he fell/stumbled.

Declan

Sexton in at out-half to face Fiji
Tuesday, 17 November 2009 14:28

There are eight changes to the Ireland team that drew 20-20 with Australia to the side that will take on Fiji on Saturday at the RDS in the second game of the 2009 Guinness Series.

The game sees five changes to the backline and three in the pack.

Keith Earls, who replaced the injured Luke Fitzgerald against Australia, retains his place on the left wing with Shane Horgan coming in on the right wing for Tommy Bowe.

Gordon D'Arcy comes into the centre and there is a new halfback partnership with Jonathan Sexton earning his first cap at No 10 with Eoin Reddan starting at scrumhalf.

Tom Court starts the game at loosehead prop and Leo Cullen comes into the side to partner Paul O'Connell in the second row. There is one change to the back row with Denis Leamy replacing David Wallace.

The replacements include Andrew Trimble and the uncapped Sean O'Brien, both of whom were involved in the recent A game against Tonga in Ravenhill.

Tomas O'Leary, Paddy Wallace and Donncha O'Callaghan are also named among the replacements after starting against Australia with Tony Buckley and the uncapped Sean Cronin completing the bench.

Ireland XV and Replacements for Autumn International against Fiji at the RDS on Saturday, 21 November, kick-off 5.15pm.

15 Rob Kearney, 14 Shane Horgan, 13 Brian O'Driscoll (capt),
12 Gordon D'Arcy, 11 Keith Earls, 10 Jonathan Sexton, 9 Eoin Reddan

1 Tom Court, 2 Jerry Flannery, 3 John Hayes, 4 Leo Cullen,
5 Paul O'Connell, 6 Stephen Ferris, 7 Denis Leamy, 8 Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements:
16 Sean Cronin
17 Tony Buckley
18 Donncha O'Callaghan
19 Sean O'Brien
20 Tomas O'Leary
21 Paddy Wallace
22 Andrew Trimble

lynchbhoy

a strange looking team, but they want to try diff things I suppose

btw - kevin maggs now player coach at rotherham this season i think
and
the hacks are calling for martin johnsons head now and some people are whispering the names of ian mcgheechan and sir clive woodward - some even suggest both could work together as coach and manager respectively!
So England could be back on track by the end of 2010 as johnson will prob not be sacked before the 6N