The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

What about that tackle by the Samoan (full?) back on the Welsh man?  And what's with the yellow shirts?
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Capt Pat on November 14, 2009, 02:53:21 PM
We don't have our first choice centre or loose head prop. The Aussies are close to full strength and their scrun half was their best player against England.

Who is our first choice inside centre though CP? D'Arcy's form has been quite patchy and Wallace is playing good stuff with Ulster. The twelve slot is definitely up for grabs for the 6N. It would be a shame to break up that back three to move one of them inside. If Cave or McFadden play well against Fiji and maintain good form into the New Year then even they could come into the reckoning. It would be great to see Earls get some gametime for Munster in the centre but with Mafi and De Villiers around, that looks unlikely. We'll always have the option of moving O'Driscoll inside if needs be.

I reckon Healy would be starting even if Marcus was fit.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

INDIANA

Quote from: Capt Pat on November 14, 2009, 02:53:21 PM
We don't have our first choice centre or loose head prop. The Aussies are close to full strength and their scrun half was their best player against England.
scrum half who is 20 years of age. Ireland are Grand slam champions. I'm amazed how irish rugby fans don't demand the same standards they expect from their Gaa teams. Stop making excuses for them. If Ireland lose tomorrow it is a serious setback for them.

Donnellys Hollow

Looking at England's performance so far against a fairly experimental Argentina, we shouldn't be fearing this Australia team at all. Argentina have four amateurs playing for them and England haven't opened them up at all. They just shovel the ball wide from wing to wing and there's no variety at all in their midfield.

Ireland will ask much bigger questions of the Australia defence than England did. Their 3/4 line look good with ball in hand but how will they react if Ireland can get in behind them?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Capt Pat

Give it a rest and change the record. It is a decent Aussie team that beat England at Twickenham last week and had a bit to spare. They are below full strength and so are we, but it is not a competitvie match so whoever wants it more will win. We are slight favourites but it is the first game of the season.

English fans were celebrating after the world cup draw when they had Scotland and Argentina in their group. I had a feeling at the time that they would not be too happy when reality hits home in the world cup in New Zealand. The southern hemisphere team Argentina will win that group and England and Scotland will battle it out for second place. They are going backwards with Wilkinson at this stage. They will not do what they did in France and get to the world cup final playing that way.

It was in fact possibly one of the worst draws they could have got.

INDIANA

England will easily win that group. I'll put my money down now if you like. The likelihood is Johnson won't be there in 2 years.
England have plenty of injuries at present so I wouldn't be judging them at the moment. The biggest problem they have is Johnson and that is  a fact. He is not good enough to manage at that level and I don't think he will be there in 2 years.

Wilkinson was terrific last week on a shit team and is playing outstanding rugby in the top 14 at present. Wasn't good today but they were all poor. We'll know more about england in the 6 nations they are currently missing 8/9 first choice players. If Johnson still selects todays side in that scenario then I'll agree with you.

We are not below full strength why do you keep saying that? Healy would be starting anyway with his form this season. That is a full strength Irish team playing against an inexperienced Australian team missing their first choice centre partnership in Mortlock and barnes.
Stop making excuses for Ireland this is a must-win game. anything else is a setback. Thats the bottom line. Its amazing how Irish rugby fans despite having the best Irish team of alltime continually want to settle to being mediocre. Uniquely Irish I would have said.

Capt Pat

I don't want your money. Banahan had a good game today for England. They were not missing 8 or 9 starters. They have very good strength in depth anyway unlike us. Paddy Wallace is not our first choice inside centre. He is Darcys stand in. If it was a world cup match and Horan was fit he would be playing. The Conteponi brothers were both missing for Argentina.

Gnevin

Quote from: INDIANA on November 14, 2009, 06:07:19 PM
Uniquely Irish I would have said.
Yes it's Uniquely Irish to consider the Aussie won't be a push over and could win it.  ::)  I for one think we will win but can see how we could lose it will be a tight game.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

INDIANA

Quote from: Gnevin on November 15, 2009, 12:29:44 PM
Yes it's Uniquely Irish to consider the Aussie won't be a push over and could win it.  ::)  I for one think we will win but can see how we could lose it will be a tight game.

Its uniquely Irish to want to be underdogs going into a game where they are clear favourites.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: INDIANA on November 15, 2009, 01:08:37 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on November 15, 2009, 12:29:44 PM

Its uniquely Irish to want to be underdogs going into a game where they are clear favourites.
Hardly clear favourites now.
Ireland haven't played a serious game in 8 months and the front row is a made up of an inexperienced, injured and just back from being suspension player
Australia, although more experimental have a few really class players.
I'd say Declan Kidney would crawl over broken glass to get a back row and half back pairing as good as what the Aussies have.

Dinny Breen

QuoteI'd say Declan Kidney would crawl over broken glass to get a back row and half back pairing as good as what the Aussies have.

Would differ there, think the Irish back-row is a far better unit and the Aussie half-backs weren't exactly setting the world alight in the tri-nations. 
#newbridgeornowhere

INDIANA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 15, 2009, 02:43:26 PM
QuoteI'd say Declan Kidney would crawl over broken glass to get a back row and half back pairing as good as what the Aussies have.

Would differ there, think the Irish back-row is a far better unit and the Aussie half-backs weren't exactly setting the world alight in the tri-nations.

some sanity here at least.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 15, 2009, 02:43:26 PM

Pocock has 12 years on Wallace and is one for the future.
While Heaslip and Ferris had good seasons last year, I'd still take Rocky over Ferris and would still be suspect on how consistent Heaslip is.
Ferris's card should be marked at this stage and watch out for second season syndrome.

Dinny Breen

QuotePocock has 12 years on Wallace and is one for the future.
While Heaslip and Ferris had good seasons last year, I'd still take Rocky over Ferris and would still be suspect on how consistent Heaslip is.
Ferris's card should be marked at this stage and watch out for second season syndrome.

Ferris is around alot longer than 1 season made his debut in 2006, back-row play is about working as a unit and experience is actually a big factor in that, Rocky is class no doubt but Heaslip is a lot more consistent and dynamic than Palu and Pocock is no George Smith.

Anyhow back to the game, Kaplan is ruining it, too whistle happy and too inconsistent. Ireland should play better in the 2nd half, if they can control territory they'll win this game, ROG imho is actually varying the game quite well. Would bring Reddan on with 20 to go to increase the tempo.

#newbridgeornowhere