The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Also, that is not to come across as a defense about Kerry, they were well off the pace they needed yesterday, and Cork deserved the win. If Cork get all their forwards back in harness they will be the team to beat I think. The Cork backs were shaky enough at times, especially when they were run at (Joe!), and I get the feeling that if Kerry play Cork in Croker later in the year, the likes of Declan O'Sullivan will not be allowed that much freedom on the ball to solo at them.

This felt to me like a phoney war, as many Cork-Kerry games have been in Munster in the last few years, as both teams have a couple of gears to find I think.

I wouldn't write off Kerry just yet, and I'm not sure they need to be 'reinvented' as such, they just need to increase their intensity. That game was a mile off the intensity of the Armagh-Tyrone game, but we know Kerry and Cork can raise the intensity from there.

Also, not sure who mentioned about Brian Sheehan not being worth at least 4 or 5 points because he's not the only one that can take them, well I think that was proven yesterday. I'd have backed Sheehan to score at least 3 out of the 4 chances from distance that Kerry had, and I think the only score from a longish free they got was when Gooch went short to Declan Sullivan.

Canalman

Quote from: Orchardman on June 10, 2012, 11:32:07 PM
leighton glynn has a strange accent, is that how wicklow people talk? any i ever met just sounded like southside dubs, which they are i guess

He has a seriously strong Wicklow accent.

haze

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 11, 2012, 09:11:37 AM
I made the mistake of not watering the flowers at half time in the Kerry game yesterday, and stupidly listened to the half time anal-ysis. Joe Brolly needs to be taken off that job now. He contributes nothing and his insulting of lads who have all Ireland medals coming out their pockets is a disgrace. He;s not fit to lace some of their boots, yet he feels it is appropriate to call Darren O'Sullivan a selfish under 10? Gobshite. Darren O'Sullivan's pacy runs are a ploy Kerry deliberately use you eejit, and if Donaghy had rattled the net then one of those runs would have been responsible for a goal. To say he runs because he is selfish and doesn't want to pass until he runs into someone's "knee-literaly" is absolutely stupid analysis.

Then they pick 3 clips of Kerry lads soloing the ball as evidence that they don't look up, ignoring the long balls kicked into Kieran O'Leary and Gooch and Donaghy that scores came from. It's as if they have a pre-determined rant they want to go on, and then spend the entire half/game looking for examples that support their argument, ignoring anything that contradicts their prejudice.

Also, when you pick up a break, your first instinct is to secure possession, then a solo coming out of the pack, and then you look up. All of the Kerry lads they picked out did exactly that. Joe would have you believe they should win the ball and take their first solo, under pressure, while scanning the field for options. Crazy stuff altogether.

What annoys me the most is the total lack of balance in their analysis. I dont think anyone would mind if they raised legitimate points about Kerry's poor display in the first half IF they could also draw the attention of the viewer to, as you said, the excellent foot passes that did lead to scores. It is so infuriating.

Or before the match they predictably showed outdated clips of how Cork build slowly and often laterally from the back.. From casually watching Cork this year in the league it appeared to me that they were playing a much more direct game than usual. But it didnt suit the agenda of the Sunday game pundits who are paid to do this to show any clips of this.

One last point - if one more pundit, commentator co-commentator bangs on about a how a high ball into the full forward is as a direct result of the new square ball rule i am going to sound mute the tv.

AZOffaly

The long passes did lead to scores, which they ignored, but also all 3 of the Kerry goal chances came as a direct result of Declan O'Sullivan and Darren O'Sullivan running at the heart of the Cork defence, drawing a man and giving the ball off. It's a very effective attacking ploy they have used numerous times.

If Gooch x 2 and Donaghy had rattle the twines, Kerry could have been 6-9 points up at half time and the guys would be picking on some Cork supposed failing that they had pre-prepared. Guaranteed.

sheamy

These pundits seem to think their mission is to shape how the game is played by badgering managers and teams. They have totally given up on analyzing a game or providing any insight. I can't recall the last time I heard any of them say anything not blatantly obvious. They blather on about kicking the ball and how Crossmaglen are the new pioneers and visionaries of the game. All their ranting a raving seems to come down to the following 'they think someone in corner back should kick the ball 40 yards'. When you boil it down, that's it. In fairness Cross are one of the few teams you see doing this and are a joy to watch as a result. But just say that and move on for christ sake. It's ego mania to go on a crusade of being a saviour of the game, getting paid a few grand every sunday to talk shite, and slating amateur players in the process. To pick on Darren O'Sullivan shows just how stupid they are. He is used in two ways: 1) as one of the paciest runners in the game to take people on and create mayhem (much like what Brolly himself based his game on albeit vastly inferior at same) 2) as one of the best players at delivering long diagonal ball. How often have you seen him launch a 50 yard pass to perfection into Donaghy? Countless times over the years. It has to be used sparingly though else it becomes predictable. Anyway, these pundits are an embarrassment...rant over.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 11, 2012, 09:41:32 AM
The long passes did lead to scores, which they ignored, but also all 3 of the Kerry goal chances came as a direct result of Declan O'Sullivan and Darren O'Sullivan running at the heart of the Cork defence, drawing a man and giving the ball off. It's a very effective attacking ploy they have used numerous times.

If Gooch x 2 and Donaghy had rattle the twines, Kerry could have been 6-9 points up at half time and the guys would be picking on some Cork supposed failing that they had pre-prepared. Guaranteed.

No doubt. And O'Connor would have been the best thing since bread was sliced and praised for reinventing the team again.

Ohtoohtobe

What annoys me is that not one of these pundits has put their theories to the test by managing an inter-county team.
Would love to see what would happen if Pat Spillane took over a county, banned gym work and had the lads playing backs and forwards in training.

yellowcard

Quote from: sheamy on June 11, 2012, 09:46:55 AM
These pundits seem to think their mission is to shape how the game is played by badgering managers and teams. They have totally given up on analyzing a game or providing any insight. I can't recall the last time I heard any of them say anything not blatantly obvious. They blather on about kicking the ball and how Crossmaglen are the new pioneers and visionaries of the game. All their ranting a raving seems to come down to the following 'they think someone in corner back should kick the ball 40 yards'. When you boil it down, that's it. In fairness Cross are one of the few teams you see doing this and are a joy to watch as a result. But just say that and move on for christ sake. It's ego mania to go on a crusade of being a saviour of the game, getting paid a few grand every sunday to talk shite, and slating amateur players in the process. To pick on Darren O'Sullivan shows just how stupid they are. He is used in two ways: 1) as one of the paciest runners in the game to take people on and create mayhem (much like what Brolly himself based his game on albeit vastly inferior at same) 2) as one of the best players at delivering long diagonal ball. How often have you seen him launch a 50 yard pass to perfection into Donaghy? Countless times over the years. It has to be used sparingly though else it becomes predictable. Anyway, these pundits are an embarrassment...rant over.
How much is a few? 2,3,4...? Not a bit of wonder they don't manage teams.

Rossfan

This show has now become an appalling embarassment.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

orangeman

Quote from: Rossfan on June 11, 2012, 11:46:28 AM
This show has now become an appalling embarassment.

Which we all watch.

But I suppose then a lot of people watch Coronation Street, Eastenders etc.

Bring back Tohill.

Orchardman

didn't big anto tohill get the deadner for speaking out of line one day? he was turning into a good pundit too, took him a few years to warm up. For some reason i don't mind mcstay, bit of a spoofer but he's grand.

Everything that is said about brolly and spillane is true, in fact i never listen to them now, brutal. I like the guys on BBC, but even marty mchugh, a smart football man im sure, is prone to making wild sweeping statements and bullshit analysis.

RTE have some great men for the hurling, and eddie brennan has been a good addition this year, smart talker and no bullshit. Surely we must have some good football men? Kevin cassidy is good whenever he's on TG4

Finally, armagh and john kingham yesterday showed that spillane's 'long ball into the full forward line' is clearly not always the best answer, unless you have both a suitable target man and quality ball going in. Didn't work for big kingham yesterday, but hopefully he'l keep working at it and could well be a useful option

Gold

Quote from: Orchardman on June 10, 2012, 11:32:07 PM
leighton glynn has a strange accent, is that how wicklow people talk? any i ever met just sounded like southside dubs, which they are i guess

Thats why i came on the Board--to talk about it--weird accent--was wondering if that was a typical Wicklow accent.

The lesser spotted Wicklow Accent
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

screenexile

Quote from: Orchardman on June 11, 2012, 06:54:50 PM
didn't big anto tohill get the deadner for speaking out of line one day? he was turning into a good pundit too, took him a few years to warm up. For some reason i don't mind mcstay, bit of a spoofer but he's grand.

Everything that is said about brolly and spillane is true, in fact i never listen to them now, brutal. I like the guys on BBC, but even marty mchugh, a smart football man im sure, is prone to making wild sweeping statements and bullshit analysis.

RTE have some great men for the hurling, and eddie brennan has been a good addition this year, smart talker and no bullshit. Surely we must have some good football men? Kevin cassidy is good whenever he's on TG4

Finally, armagh and john kingham yesterday showed that spillane's 'long ball into the full forward line' is clearly not always the best answer, unless you have both a suitable target man and quality ball going in. Didn't work for big kingham yesterday, but hopefully he'l keep working at it and could well be a useful option

Anything Martin McHugh says that makes sense is undone by his blatant anti Derry bias that shines gloriously through in all his columns and commentary for the BBC. He's a mouth!

seafoid

Quote from: moysider on June 11, 2012, 12:22:47 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 05, 2012, 06:17:34 PM
Spillane and Brolly are too fond of the quip. The 'smart one'.

FFS - I dunno about Wexford but did Spillane expect Longford to play like Brazil of 1970. We've come from a position of being third last in Div 4 three or so year ago (just ahead of London and Kilkenny) to a Div 2 spot and not mixing it with the second tier teams like Laois, Mayo etc. His comment on medicine balls and cones were daft and if this is analysis then fcuk me pink.

So a team that reaches an AI semi and a league final in 8 months is second tier and ranked with Laois. To bed with yourself.
[/quote
A bit touchy there, Moysider.
Mayo are still a work in progress.  They are a year ahead of Galway  ;)
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: screenexile on June 11, 2012, 08:10:08 PM
Quote from: Orchardman on June 11, 2012, 06:54:50 PM

Anything Martin McHugh says that makes sense is undone by his blatant anti Derry bias that shines gloriously through in all his columns and commentary for the BBC. He's a mouth!

mus have Draperstown blood in him somewhere 1
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012