The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

When Dublin minced Tyrone last year did anyone suggest a tiered championship?
What about when Limerick destroyed us a few years ago?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mac hinery

Where's Brick Tamlin when you need him?

"I don't know why I'm shouting"

Hoof Hearted

simple solution lads, if a match starts at 2.00, turn the TV on at 1.59. watch 1st half. At HT, go and boil the kettle, have a crap, ride the wife, (then do them all again as you probably will still have time). watch 2nd half, that at FT, turn it off.simples.

Why do you watch and listen to men who you know are going to talk shite, then complain about them talking shite.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Jinxy

Absolute nonsense and it's that attitude that has this country fcuked.
Just accept this is the way things are, and don't expect any better.
It's your money that's paying for this tripe.

whitegoodman

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on June 03, 2012, 10:08:10 PM
simple solution lads, if a match starts at 2.00, turn the TV on at 1.59. watch 1st half. At HT, go and boil the kettle, have a crap, ride the wife, (then do them all again as you probably will still have time). watch 2nd half, that at FT, turn it off.simples.

Why do you watch and listen to men who you know are going to talk shite, then complain about them talking shite.

Lol very good and very true especially on the point about the exploits at half time.

rrhf

Peopl are becoming more critical of Gaelic football to the point where many supporters don't bother going to matches the tv guys started this rubbish. 

Jinxy

The amount of people I hear parroting the exact same stuff as Spillane is scary.
That's simply the result of constant repetition.
Plus, I think Brolly and Spillane will become more of a double act over the summer as this increases the potential for controversy.
Colm will be shifted to the evening show to accommodate this as he's a moderating influence on the two of them.

Applesisapples

Canning makes Mark Sidebottom seem almost eloquent.

cogito

Is it that hard to find a few intelligent and recently retired players? A bit of research woudl teach you who knows there stuff and who doesn't. People who can actually give me a bit of insight into the game instead of every game getting a freeze frame and saying "Look they have 11 players back in their own half". Could someone not show me how quick teams break once they get the turn over? It's not as if Longford had 11 players sitting back all the time. Longford also used the cross field ball very well to find McCormack and Cavanagh well. I'm pretty sure that was ignored as well.

RTE need to make it an important goal to uncover a Gary Neville sort of expert to revitalize their panel if you ask me. I watched the Longford and Wex game and was annoyed at the coverage. Pat was a miserable old git who had an agenda set beforehand.

I missed the start of the Sunday game in then evening then but when I did switch it on the very first thing I heard was Colm Coyle giving out about the number of handpasses to kickpasses in a game. I literally tutted out loud before saying to myself I couldn't be bothered listening to this crap again so I switched over and watched the Apprentice. A show I have not once all year and this was the final. That's how much I wasn't arsed listening to the RTE boys.

snoopdog

its been my opinion for a long time that these guys are doing little good for our game by constantly slagging off teams who arent up to their so called perceived standard.
It always this way. Teams go through bad times we dont all have a conveyor belt like Kerry.
The likes of Brolly and Spillane are supposed to be ambassadors for our game but i feel they are doing it more harm than good.
Yes the game is going through a tough time as more professional approaches have led to players being fitter than most other sportsmen and tactics coming more and more into it. Brolly and Spillane should be suggesting how to make changes for the good of the game.
This tiered suggestion wont work either. With Tiers Leitrim would never have played in an all ireland semi in 94, Down wouldnt have been in the All Ireland final in 2010 Antrim or Fermanagh wouldnt have played in Ulster Finals, Clare wouldnt have won a munster in the 90's , the list is endless. 25 years of defeat in every first round game is worth it for counties to even get one day in the sun.
I for one never want to see the end of the Ulster Championship.
A champs league format would only make everything more predictable and  crowds would suffer.

Jinxy

I know I'm biased but Anthony Moyles was excellent on Newstalk for Longford vs. Wexford.
There are lots of intelligent, articulate, recently retired footballers that could offer meaningful analysis and insight.
Is that what RTE want though?
I genuinely don't think it is.

cogito

Quote from: Jinxy on June 04, 2012, 11:00:22 AM
I know I'm biased but Anthony Moyles was excellent on Newstalk for Longford vs. Wexford.
There are lots of intelligent, articulate, recently retired footballers that could offer meaningful analysis and insight.
Is that what RTE want though?
I genuinely don't think it is.

Aye Moyles was one I heard recently and I just thought to myself, why the hell dont RTE have someone like him. I would love to see Philip Jordan given a shot at it or Stephen McDonnell.

The service Newstalk provide puts RTE to shame in my opinion.

I don't care if a player doesn't have as many All-Ireland's as Spillane I would someone who can analyse a game, see patterns that others cant and highlight them to the every day viewer. Make our game sound interesting rather than tell them its shite.

That process of freezing the screen when a team has 10 or 11 bodies back makes me want to break my tele. It's so lazy. Every analyse of a game is basically the same and I for one have had it.

Jinxy

Actually Ger Gilroy has some still pictures on his twitter page of the Donegal vs. Kildare game last year.
They're from the first half and show that on numerous occasions there were at least half a dozen Donegal players inside the Kildare 45m line.
Modern teams get bodies back, but they also attack in numbers as well.
The problem is, Spillane's 'analysis' is setting the agenda and this has to be addressed.

mylestheslasher

Brolly and Spillane do talk a lot of crap for the sake of it but I have to agree with them on the Longford v Wexford game. It was total shite from start to finish. Donegal have shown teams the way to play now packing everyone back in their own halves. I said last year the GAA need to take steps to stop this crap becoming the norm for GAA matches and now we will all see how it will pan out with more and more teams doing the same. It will turn the likes of me off bothering  to watch a game on TV where my own county is not involved. If entertainment levels go down, viewership will go down and money into the GAA will go down which is bad for every county.

INDIANA

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 04, 2012, 12:02:10 PM
Brolly and Spillane do talk a lot of crap for the sake of it but I have to agree with them on the Longford v Wexford game. It was total shite from start to finish. Donegal have shown teams the way to play now packing everyone back in their own halves. I said last year the GAA need to take steps to stop this crap becoming the norm for GAA matches and now we will all see how it will pan out with more and more teams doing the same. It will turn the likes of me off bothering  to watch a game on TV where my own county is not involved. If entertainment levels go down, viewership will go down and money into the GAA will go down which is bad for every county.

Longford made it shite though. I was massively impressed with their conditioning and staggered by their lack of ambition. They would get a lot further using the assets they have in the bardens.

David Barden looked like a tool yesterday with his man scoring 5 points from play. Its a complete waste having him in defence.

That was Donegal-lite yesterday.