DIY thread

Started by Jim Bob, February 25, 2018, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

Lads
Im looking for outside lights that i can fit on the corners of the walls. The two most popular ones that are out there are not that great. Im looking for something modern/contemporary.
Anyone come across anything.

Over the Bar

Your ball-c**k is possibly set too high as it knocks off the inlet once the water reaches a certain level.   There should be a plastic threaded bolt at the ball-c**k hinge that allows to to set how can much water to come into the cistern.

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 28, 2019, 10:18:20 AM
Your ball-c**k is possibly set too high as it knocks off the inlet once the water reaches a certain level.   There should be a plastic threaded bolt at the ball-c**k hinge that allows to to set how can much water to come into the cistern.
As soon as i touched that thread at the right the water started coming in again without it flushing.

I screwed it well down and flushed and can see it clearly go and and then raise up as the water fills up - but the water just keeps filling even when it goes as high as it can go.
Is that unit faulty?

illdecide

Yip, replace it...cheap as chips £15 - £20
Should just clip in and out easily enough
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: illdecide on January 28, 2019, 09:41:23 PM
Yip, replace it...cheap as chips £15 - £20
Should just clip in and out easily enough
It should clip off near the top somewhere?
Not whole unit/pipe to bottom of cistern?

east down gael

You'd want to be careful doing that,unless you're handy enough.if you're lucky there will be an isolation valve on the cold feed to the toilet.close this,using a flat head screwdriver.flush the toilet and make sure it's not filling.if you don't have an isolation valve at the toilet,you can isolate it at the tank if that's the system you have.or shut the stopcock if it's mains fed.once you have the cold feed isolated,disconnect cold feed and replace the float valve.i'd recommend a fluid master with brass threads.
  P.s if you are isolating the cold feed from the tank then be careful with the valve.sometimes if they are old they can either shut but not open,or not shut at all.good luck with it.otherwise it's probably a £50 job for a plumber.

Over the Bar

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on January 28, 2019, 10:52:56 AM
As soon as i touched that thread at the right the water started coming in again without it flushing.

I screwed it well down and flushed and can see it clearly go and and then raise up as the water fills up - but the water just keeps filling even when it goes as high as it can go.
Is that unit faulty?

Have you tried screwing it in the opposite direction?

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 28, 2019, 11:56:42 PM

Is that unit faulty?

Yep tried it at max both ways and the water just kept flowing.
What is that unit called? A fill valve?

Over the Bar

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on January 29, 2019, 05:59:43 AM

Is that unit faulty?

flush valve is what we'd call it.  Show the pic in your plumbers merchants and they should be able to sort you

belfastkev

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 29, 2019, 07:26:24 PM

Is that unit faulty?

flush valve is what we'd call it.  Show the pic in your plumbers merchants and they should be able to sort you

It's a fill valve. The flush valve is the siphon. Looks like a bottom entry fill valve to me.

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: belfastkev on January 30, 2019, 01:33:24 AM
Quote from: Over the Bar on January 29, 2019, 07:26:24 PM

Is that unit faulty?

It's a fill valve. The flush valve is the siphon. Looks like a bottom entry fill valve to me.
I have another one here in house. Extra toilet delivered when building and never collected again.
Is it an easy swap? Clip on/off or does it require something more major?

take_yer_points

I'm recently into a new house and am planning a new lawn lads.

Top soil was brought in around mid November. I've weeded over the last 2 weekends, raked the soil to level it out, removed any big stones, etc...

I've fertiliser and seed bought and sitting here in the house and am half thinking about getting the seed sown this weekend. Am I a few weeks too early? Anyone any experience of this?

thebuzz

Quote from: take_yer_points on February 25, 2019, 10:26:43 PM
I'm recently into a new house and am planning a new lawn lads.

Top soil was brought in around mid November. I've weeded over the last 2 weekends, raked the soil to level it out, removed any big stones, etc...

I've fertiliser and seed bought and sitting here in the house and am half thinking about getting the seed sown this weekend. Am I a few weeks too early? Anyone any experience of this?

Apparently it's best to wait until late March at least. Even though it's very mild at the moment hard frost could kick in again any time before then.

Hereiam

Let it sit lad. Frost will destroy it. Your best bet will be April but with the way the weather is you are never sure

balladmaker

Anyone have experience relating to what looks like a black heat or scorch mark above thermostats?  Noticed a black mark above top left corner of heating stat this evening.  When I checked the other stats, the same mark was there on the wall as well above each of the stats.  Strangely enough, we had a breaker trip last night for no apparent reason at the time, so wondering if this relates to these black marks above each thermostat.  Anyone seen or heard about this before?  Thanks.