DIY thread

Started by Jim Bob, February 25, 2018, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

Have the same problem but mine are wood doors.  it's a twist or warp.  You could use draught excluder strip from Homebase to seal the gap when the doors are closed as a quick and cheap solution.

BennyCake

have a washing machine pipe coming out of wall, but the hole hasn't been properly sealed with plaster. I'm assuming a plaster mix is the way to go. But Just wondered about making the appropriate plaster mix, also if there's a difference in plaster mix for inside and outside work?

Have sand and plaster mix ready, but not sure if plaster is suitable.

Any help welcome.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: BennyCake on November 29, 2018, 11:47:17 AM
have a washing machine pipe coming out of wall, but the hole hasn't been properly sealed with plaster. I'm assuming a plaster mix is the way to go. But Just wondered about making the appropriate plaster mix, also if there's a difference in plaster mix for inside and outside work?

Any help welcome.

How big is the hole in relation to the pipe
I would say any good quality external masonry filler would do fine. It's easier to mix as you just add water.  Toupret is a good product.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

BennyCake

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on November 29, 2018, 12:02:27 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 29, 2018, 11:47:17 AM

Any help welcome.

How big is the hole in relation to the pipe
I would say any good quality external masonry filler would do fine. It's easier to mix as you just add water.  Toupret is a good product.

About an inch all around the pipe.

I've actually just discovered I have a bag of Rapid setting sand and cement mix. I think that ought to do it?

Owen Brannigan

With that size of hole around the pipe you definitely need sand and cement mortar on the outside.  However, rapid set will make it hard to handle and finish. Might be best to get some ordinary mortar mix to fill the hole but fix the waste pipe on the outside to prevent movement until the mortar is set. Do the inside after the outside is set again with mortar but leave it slightly below the surface to allow you to finish it off with filler that can be smoothed off.

east down gael

Just get a small tub of fire cement from a plumbing suppliers.cost you about a fiver.

trueblue1234

Was looking to put in a sensor light above the front door. Any advise? Anyone tried one of the solar ones? Are they much use here with the lack of sunshine. Would prefer this than trying to retrofit a wired one. Thanks in advance.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Boycey

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 13, 2019, 09:03:58 PM
Was looking to put in a sensor light above the front door. Any advise? Anyone tried one of the solar ones? Are they much use here with  ;Dthe lack of sunshine. Would prefer this than trying to retrofit a wired one. Thanks in advance.

My neighbour put one at the side of his house recently, it lights the whole neighbourhood if a fly moves within a 100 yard radius.  ;D

No use to you mind.   

Hardy

Was looking to put in a sensor light above the front door. Any advise? Anyone tried one of the solar ones? Are they much use here with the lack of sunshine. Would prefer this than trying to retrofit a wired one. Thanks in advance.

I have a couple of the solar ones. They haven't been able to charge on a number of occasions in the last six weeks because of the dull weather. They're grand when they work!

trueblue1234

Quote from: Hardy on January 14, 2019, 12:43:36 PM

I have a couple of the solar ones. They haven't been able to charge on a number of occasions in the last six weeks because of the dull weather. They're grand when they work!

Yeah that was my fear. Might have a quick google around but really want to avoid having to wire one in if possible.

laoislad

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 14, 2019, 02:03:27 PM

Yeah that was my fear. Might have a quick google around but really want to avoid having to wire one in if possible.
Wiring one would be the best way imo, but if you really don't want to have to do that then B&Q sell a battery powered range of sensor lights. Like this for example.

https://www.diy.com/departments/b-q-lethe-black-1w-battery-powered-external-pir-security-light/1138616_BQ.prd

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trueblue1234

Quote from: laoislad on January 14, 2019, 03:30:42 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 14, 2019, 02:03:27 PM

Wiring one would be the best way imo, but if you really don't want to have to do that then B&Q sell a battery powered range of sensor lights. Like this for example.

https://www.diy.com/departments/b-q-lethe-black-1w-battery-powered-external-pir-security-light/1138616_BQ.prd

Cheers LL. It's on a stonework porch and I'm assuming it would have to run over the stonework from existing exterior light to the sensor/ light? Trying to avoid the wires. Alternatively is there any way to wire in sensor to existing lights? (Apologies for my lack of electrical knowledge)

EDIT** Should have said without changing the type of lights (They're up down lights and the sunroom has the same matching lights so don't want to have to change them all)

laoislad

Yeah you can buy a PIR.(Passive Infrared Sensor) you can wire them to any light,but the existing lights you have don't sound like they would be great security lights, they don't really flood the area with light do they?
Also are they not the type of light you'd have turned on anyway?   
If you want a light for security or to light up a drive way when you come in how about putting one up high near the fascia. It be easy enough get a feed from the attic.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Mhic Easmuint

Any Plumbers?
Had 2 toilets recently started filling very slowly when flushed. Searched online and found it was a washer type thing like the pic below and i replaced it on both toilets.

When replaced both toilets fill as normal now - but one of them keep's filling and overflowing into the bowl - this runs for about 10 minutes before it would stop.
Video of overflow here - https://youtu.be/xkhV0MlZ5CE

What is the cause of this? Some fault in the device on the right?