Broadband

Started by Arthur_Friend, October 07, 2013, 04:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lurganblue on February 08, 2024, 12:36:45 PMHas anyone bought a home wifi extender/booster recently and have any recommendations?  We would have a very weak or non existent signal in some of our rooms.  I've searched and read about a few of the products out there but it seems like a bit of a minefield.   

Be interested in that also, as the eldest girl will be moving back after the summer and I can't arsed hearing about the poor Wi-Fi!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Invest in a "mesh network". 300 odd quid but you'll extend your network and have no issues with connectivity further out in your house.

the onion bag

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 08, 2024, 02:50:39 PMInvest in a "mesh network". 300 odd quid but you'll extend your network and have no issues with connectivity further out in your house.

I'm piggybacking from a neighbouring house using the TP-Link Deco E4 AC1200 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System from Argos as Fibrus wouldn't install us yet as we're a new build not listed in Project Stratum. It does a great job with less than a 5mb drop in max speed over a fair distance as long as there is a clear line of sight. I can't imagine there would be any issue using them in a house over shorter distances.

lurganblue

Quote from: the onion bag on February 08, 2024, 03:57:21 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 08, 2024, 02:50:39 PMInvest in a "mesh network". 300 odd quid but you'll extend your network and have no issues with connectivity further out in your house.

I'm piggybacking from a neighbouring house using the TP-Link Deco E4 AC1200 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System from Argos as Fibrus wouldn't install us yet as we're a new build not listed in Project Stratum. It does a great job with less than a 5mb drop in max speed over a fair distance as long as there is a clear line of sight. I can't imagine there would be any issue using them in a house over shorter distances.

That might be the ticket. Cheers.  I dont like the idea of the 300 odd quid option  ;D

I'm with Sky and I read somewhere online that if you complain, they might send you a booster, depending on your deal.  I will maybe investigate that option too. I think I likely already know the answer though.

fearsiuil

Some of the mesh systems are a little bit tricky compatability wise with Sky Q etc. Worth looking at prior to purchasing, Google it.

lurganblue

Phoned sky and told them the problem. They said they could supply a booster box for 6 quid a month.

After a few more discussions the lad said that our router is over 5 years old so they'll send a new one and see if that improves things first.

Sounds like a racket.

Norf Tyrone

Has anyone heard of Inspire Telecom?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone