The Armagh Harps Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, November 10, 2006, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seeheartalk

Good job yer man wasing driving past the Mullaghbawn v Maghery game. If he was disgusted with the Harps match, he would be pulling the pin out of the gernade in his mouth at this token game. It happens everywhere. ::)

Rufus T Firefly

As evidenced by the lack of posts recently, ' things have been relatively quiet since the football season was wrapped up. In the last week though there have been a few events worth noting and updates to mention.

Last Friday night we had our dinner dance in the City Hotel. Congratulations to the following on their awards - Senior Player of the Year Chuckie Morris, Committee Person of the Year Paula Powell, Club Person of the Year Brian Toner and special mention to Hall of Fame winner Paul Cartmill. Well done all!

On Tuesday night of this week we had our Annual General Meeting. As normal it was the usual suspects present, but that said there were some welcome and new additions on the administrative side of things. The following are the Club Officers for 2008;

Chairman - James Clifford,
Vice Chairman - Stumps,
Secretary - Jack O'Hare
Vice Secretary - Tony Kelly
Treasurer - Conor Moore
Assistant Treasurer - Martin Gill
Registrar - Art McGinn
Youth Officer - Paul M ckenna

Committee - Phil McGinn, Aidan O'Kane, Paula Powell, Yorkie Powell, Bert Toal, Barry Moore, Paul Rath, Pearse Dynes, Malachy Geraghty, Tootsie McConville and Brenda Gill.

Have to put on record the thanks of all members to Don Richards who stood down as Secretary after a number of years in the position, and if I may so a special thanks to Dib Dib who quit as Treasurer after fourteen years at the post and who was responsible for steering the good ship Harps through some very difficult times in the early to mid nineties.

Last night we had our Mass in St Malachys for deceased members which was very well attended.

Finally a note of a couple of dates coming up in the Club;

Saturday 8th December there is a Cristmas Party Night for all Managers, Coaches, Volunteers, Helpers, Supporters, Players Lotto Sellers - admission free - includes Food, Music, Santa's Surprise ( :o) and a Champagne Reception. 

Friday 14th December - there is a night of Texas Hold'em - first prize £500. Entry £20. Should be a good night!!

Please pass the word on about these events.

Redhandfan

Rufus, there are a few things about the recent Annual Dinner Dance and A.G.M. which I would like to address with you:

1) As an honorary club member, I was disgusted at not being invited to attend either event.
2) This year's recipient of the Hall of Fame award is actually a Moy man.
3) The current committee is being infested by Moores, one of whom was not even present at the AGM.

In light of these developments, and the recent match-fixing fiasco with Maghery, you can stick your Texas Hold'em up your arse.  I am now officially withdrawing all my support for the Harps club.

Slan.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Redhandfan on November 25, 2007, 06:42:22 PM
Rufus, there are a few things about the recent Annual Dinner Dance and A.G.M. which I would like to address with you:

1) As an honorary club member, I was disgusted at not being invited to attend either event.
3) The current committee is being infested by Moores, one of whom was not even present at the AGM.

In light of these developments, and the recent match-fixing fiasco with Maghery, you can stick your Texas Hold'em up your arse.  I am now officially withdrawing all of my support from the Harps club.

Slan.

That's lovely that is, and that from the self proclaimed 'great gael'!

Will you now be looking for yet another club to replace the Harps in your life?

Orior

Tony Kelly looking after vice! Is that the Tony that has been known to post here now and again?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Silky

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on November 25, 2007, 07:11:05 PM

In light of these developments, and the recent match-fixing fiasco with Maghery, you can stick your Texas Hold'em up your arse.  I am now officially withdrawing all of my support from the Harps club.

Slan.

That's lovely that is, and that from the self proclaimed 'great gael'!

Will you now be looking for yet another club to replace the Harps in your life?

What??

pintsofguinness

Quote1) As an honorary club member, I was disgusted at not being invited to attend either event.

Maybe they were trying to tell you something?

Are you taking the piss here or what's the craic, how can you have two clubs in armagh and one in tyrone? (that we know of).

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Aghdavoyle

In light of these developments, and the recent match-fixing fiasco with Maghery, you can stick your Texas Hold'em up your arse.  I am now officially withdrawing all my support for the Harps club.

Slan.

You sound like you'll be a huge loss....

Rufus T Firefly

Lads, just a reminder that the Harps are helping with the guard of honour this evening for the return of Cardinal Brady to the City. Any members available, we're meeting at the old Customs post on the Monaghan Road at 6.30 pm. Make sure you're wearing your Na Clairsigh whistle and flute!!   

Rufus T Firefly

Very sorry to have to report the passing of our esteemed member Marian McMahon, after a recent illness.

Marian was a true giant of Armagh Harps and a great worker and supporter of the Club over the years. This work was recognised back in 1997 when Marian was the recipient of our Hall of Fame award. At this moment, the time of Marian's funeral mass has not been confirmed, although it will be on Sunday.

Deepest sympathies to the family, who, as befitting such a great Harps family, were all close to the Club.

May Marian Rest In Peace.   

Rufus T Firefly

Marian is being waked in her own house in Irish Street tonight. Her remains are due to leave her house at 5.30 tomorrow evening (Saturday) to go to the Cathedral. Her requiem Mass is at 11.00 am on Sunday morning. There will be a Harps Guard of Honour tomorrow and Sunday - anyone calling in this way and reading this, please pass the word on.

Rufus T Firefly

The Harps did Marian proud, both last night and this morning, when there was a large Guard of Honour to tak Marian's remains from her house in Irish Street, down through the City to the Cathedral, and after her requiem Mass today, where the hearse was accompanied out to the graveyard. There was also a representation of underage players forming a static Guard of Honour as the hearse left the Cathedral grounds.

A great send off for a great servant of the Club.     

qub la la la

was talking to a harps man last night and he informed me if i wanted to make a few pound i should get on the harps to dethrone the rangers in 2008....

any truth??

Rufus T Firefly

I have not been able to post this last few days, but I would just like to express my deepest sympathies to the McGee and Hughes families on the tragic loss of Jamie.

I'm afraid in circumstances like this words seem of little use, but hopefully Jamie's family circle will somehow find the strength to get through the future.

May Jamie Rest In Peace. 

Rufus T Firefly

The following is an extract from a letter that will be going out to many Harps people in the near future;

Dear Supporter/Friend of the Club,

As you are aware, Armagh Harps GFC is celebrating its 120th Anniversary during 2008.

The Club intends to mark this significant milestone by organising a number of major club events including the launch of a book detailing a comprehensive history of the Club, various youth and ladies events and a Gala Ball later in the year.

We would invite you to share in this historic year by applying for membership of our Club and supporting our work in the continued promotion of Gaelic Games in Armagh.

Yours Sincerely,

Armagh Harps Committee.