Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 21, 2011, 07:40:27 PM
I'm just seeing this thread for the first time now, haven't read it all.

My sister's a principal and I can tell you some stories about what she saw when working her way up that ladder in the comprehensive system in England.

Teaching a lesson takes a bit longer than the half hour it takes to teach it to one class.  You'll have to teach it to several classes during the day.  You have to plan the lesson ahead of time, something that can add another few hours on the night before.  Then you have to mark the homework from it, add another half hour or an hour for that.

Any time I went to visit my sister during the week she'd come home around the same time as the rest of us (teachers have all sorts of meetings to go to after the pupils have gone) and after grabbing something to eat she'd spend the rest of the evening marking homework from the day and preparing lessons for the next.  You'd be doing well if you have all that done by 9pm.

Then there's the stuff you have to put up with during the day. Imagine you're put in charge of a room of 30 adolescents, maybe three of them want to work, half of them aren't terribly fussed, and then another three of them who are borderline psychotic and violent.  One of them disrupts your nicely planned lesson, you have to discipline him without laying a finger on him, and keep the rest of the class under control without screaming at the top of your lungs (because that would be a sure sign that you've lost it).  You put him outside the room and he's making gorilla noises, beating his chest and throwing himself up against the door, and half the class is laughing at him instead of learning.*  What do you do now, hmm? How would you deal with it? "Kick the crap out of him?" If you want to get fired, do time, and never work as a teacher again, go right ahead.

Seriously lads, do you think you could do it?

And then you get up and do it all again the following day.  I'll tell you one thing, if I had to do that I'd make sure I had all the holidays I could take.  You're basically working from 8am to 9pm in a stressful job five days a week.  Just because you're working at home doesn't mean it's not work.  Sure plenty of people in the private sector 'telecommute' by working remotely from a home office.  Are they not really working because they happen to be based at home?

But then what do I know? 

I'll tell you what.  If teaching's such a handy number and so well paid, why don't youse all become teachers?  Sure if it's just "babysitting" as someone called it and only worth minimum wage then it can't be that important, eh?  Churning out the next generation and being the deciding factor in whether or not someone turns out a criminal or a productive member of society, sure how could anyone consider that an important job? "Education?" Ha! Who needs it?

::)

*Based on actual events and fairly typical in some schools.
f**k them, a lot of them are dregs that couldn't work in the private sector. They go from college to school without seeing a proper days work or getting any life skills. Most of them would be unemployable in the real world. Gone are the days when teaching was a calling. It's now a handy number for the educationally substandard. The missus is in charge of new teachers and has had to correct spelling and grammar errors in their work.

*If this missus is reading this, I don't mean you dear!

pintsofguinness

I don't understand this planning lessons, for a first year teacher I understand but surely someone teaching years can use the same ones over and over again? I know the curriculum can change and that but it doesn't change that much ffs! 

Then there's the stuff you have to put up with during the day. Imagine you're put in charge of a room of 30 adolescents, maybe three of them want to work, half of them aren't terribly fussed, and then another three of them who are borderline psychotic and violent.  One of them disrupts your nicely planned lesson, you have to discipline him without laying a finger on him, and keep the rest of the class under control without screaming at the top of your lungs (because that would be a sure sign that you've lost it).  You put him outside the room and he's making gorilla noises, beating his chest and throwing himself up against the door, and half the class is laughing at him instead of learning.*  What do you do now, hmm? How would you deal with it? "Kick the crap out of him?" If you want to get fired, do time, and never work as a teacher again, go right ahead.
Dry them. Everyone has demands in their job, the trouble with teachers are they think they are the only ones. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 21, 2011, 09:30:27 PM
I don't understand this planning lessons, for a first year teacher I understand but surely someone teaching years can use the same ones over and over again? I know the curriculum can change and that but it doesn't change that much ffs! 

Dry them. Everyone has demands in their job, the trouble with teachers are they think they are the only ones.

A friend of ours is a primary school teacher up in Cavan.
One night we were all out together and I started winding her up about how easy her job was.
I may have went a little too far as she lost the plot and screams at me and says

You think I have it so easy but I'll have you know there was two nights this week that I didn't get home from work till after 5pm!!

At this stage even her husband told her to shut the f**k up and stop embarrassing herself and everyone else just fell around the place laughing at her..ah good times
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Milltown Row2

Having worked in both sectors I firmly believe that teaching is far more demanding than the private sector. But that's just my opinion.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gaffer

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 21, 2011, 09:14:52 PM

My sister's a principal and I can tell you some stories about what she saw when working her way up that ladder in the comprehensive system in England.

Teaching a lesson takes a bit longer than the half hour it takes to teach it to one class.  You'll have to teach it to several classes during the day.  You have to plan the lesson ahead of time, something that can add another few hours on the night before.  Then you have to mark the homework from it, add another half hour or an hour for that.

Any time I went to visit my sister during the week she'd come home around the same time as the rest of us (teachers have all sorts of meetings to go to after the pupils have gone) and after grabbing something to eat she'd spend the rest of the evening marking homework from the day and preparing lessons for the next.  You'd be doing well if you have all that done by 9pm.

And then you get up and do it all again the following day.  I'll tell you one thing, if I had to do that I'd make sure I had all the holidays I could take.  You're basically working from 8am to 9pm in a stressful job five days a week.  Just because you're working at home doesn't mean it's not work.  Sure plenty of people in the private sector 'telecommute' by working remotely from a home office.  Are they not really working because they happen to be based at home?

But then what do I know? 

I'll tell you what.  If teaching's such a handy number and so well paid, why don't youse all become teachers?  Sure if it's just "babysitting" as someone called it and only worth minimum wage then it can't be that important, eh?  Churning out the next generation and being the deciding factor in whether or not someone turns out a criminal or a productive member of society, sure how could anyone consider that an important job? "Education?" Ha! Who needs it?

f**k them, a lot of them are dregs that couldn't work in the private sector. They go from college to school without seeing a proper days work or getting any life skills. Most of them would be unemployable in the real world. Gone are the days when teaching was a calling. It's now a handy number for the educationally substandard. The missus is in charge of new teachers and has had to correct spelling and grammar errors in their work.

Tell us what a 'proper day's work' is or indeed what the 'real world' is.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

ONeill

Depends on the subject. Also, methodology within the classroom changes all too often and the way you teach (or advised to teach) is often observed/inspected to make sure you're adhering to the recent fad.

The missus is in charge of new teachers and has had to correct spelling and grammar errors in their work.

Unfortunately, Tony, you are correct. However, I've a feeling this occurs in all sectors of employment. The inability to spell doesn't seem to prevent students achieving straight As and a first class degree, in anything!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Take Your Points on February 21, 2011, 09:29:01 PM

We have all heard those stories before and no one on this board takes them seriously.

You calling me a liar or are you saying I imagined the whole thing?
Anyway, your sister has obviously escaped from the chalkface and really gets it handy.

Oh, so now it's a handy number being a head teacher as well, eh? Just sit at the desk all day and do nothing like Mr Burns?

I've never seen so many armchair generals and Monday morning quarterbacks in one place.

I ask again, if teaching is so handy then how come you're not all teachers?

Minder

What are the employment prospects in the occupied six like for students currently at St  Marys? Friend, who is a teacher, said he was talking to one of his old lecturers at St Marys and he reckoned class sizes were well down on previous years and quite a few of the students would have to go to England to get jobs. Curious as my brother in law is at Queens and is thinking of giving teaching a lash.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 21, 2011, 10:27:14 PM

We have all heard those stories before and no one on this board takes them seriously.

Anyway, your sister has obviously escaped from the chalkface and really gets it handy.

Oh, so now it's a handy number being a head teacher as well, eh? Just sit at the desk all day and do nothing like Mr Burns?

I've never seen so many armchair generals and Monday morning quarterbacks in one place.

Erm, I think you've misread his post. He's on your side.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Real Laoislad

I like to work for my wages.
I wouldn't want a handy job as I'd feel guilty for earning money for doing nothing..ie being a Teacher
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

QuoteI ask again, if teaching is so handy then how come you're not all teachers?
I picked my job/career path because it was something I thought I'd like, enjoy and interest me.
Most people don't choose jobs or careers on the basis of what's handy. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 21, 2011, 09:44:50 PM

Having worked in both sectors I firmly believe that teaching is far more demanding than the private sector. But that's just my opinion.
Aye, well tell that to miners. Pints' point is the most pertinent of the lot, teachers think nobody works like them. I have to tell the missus to wind her neck in every now and again as there are plenty of people busting a gut on less money and a few weeks holidays a year.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Gaffer on February 21, 2011, 09:45:54 PM

But then what do I know? 

Tell us what a 'proper day's work' is or indeed what the 'real world' is.
What everyone outside the teaching profession does and every place of employment outside of schools, respectively.

Big Puff

skinner?

Tony Baloney

The people you are arguing with are teachers! Where are you on fireside fusiliers?