Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Try the old supply teaching. The wains treat you with no respect and you do get the holidays off but you don't get paid a penny. Mind you it's great going home through the door at 4 and not having to do any work thereafter. Then up at 6.30 the next morning, chuck on a suit, have your Weetabix and wait for a phone call...............that may never come; and you lose £80 quid.

Mind you again, I have afternoon work tomorrow for 2 hours, no marking but only £40.

I think the average day in England is £120, the agency take £40 off you for helping you.

theticklemister

On the old supply here in England and not getting paid for the summer. Any ideas for jobs for 6 weeks that a teacher could pick up

Asal Mor

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 10, 2014, 04:21:19 PM
QuoteThey "babysit" 25 children from 8AM to 3PM Monday through Friday.

Make that 32 kids here in Mexico.

Are you teaching in Mexico Billy?

Rois

Quote from: theticklemister on April 10, 2014, 07:57:03 AM
On the old supply here in England and not getting paid for the summer. Any ideas for jobs for 6 weeks that a teacher could pick up

Do you have to stay in England?  I can link you in with a summer school in Switzerland if that's any use. 

theticklemister

Quote from: Rois on April 10, 2014, 09:13:20 AM

Je Rois thats very kind. Yeah i am in England for the summer, committed to the ball here till September.

Do you have to stay in England?  I can link you in with a summer school in Switzerland if that's any use. 

Rois

Ah no worries.  It's a great place if you're young, free and single and a teacher - you only have to teach in the morning, then go and do activities with kids in the afternoons like outdoor pool, rafting, visiting tourist sports.  In fact, the same people have an international primary and secondary school over there as well as the summer school.  They're from Tyrone though.  That wouldn't have worked. 

JimStynes

That sounds ideal for putting in the summer!! What's the pay like?

Anyone any good recommendations for iPad apps for ks1 and ks2? I use a few really simple ones with my P6 class and they're addicted to them, especially one called 'Tap Math'. We keep a leader board to see who can get the highest score. I'm winning in my class  ;D

Johnny Tightlips

Thinking of hitting London after the football season is over, few mates are on about going for the supply work in London. What is the story with it? is there work everyday? is it hard to get everything sorted out etc.

BennyHarp

Shockingly sad day in Leeds today. This is one of the feeder schools for the Sixth Form college I teach in and it is extremely depressing to think that this sort of tragedy can happen as you try to do your job. Something needs to be done to address the knife culture amongst some of the groups of youngster in this country. Mrs Maguire was immensely well respected and will be sorely missed - RIP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27193638
That was never a square ball!!

moysider

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 28, 2014, 10:51:38 PM
Shockingly sad day in Leeds today. This is one of the feeder schools for the Sixth Form college I teach in and it is extremely depressing to think that this sort of tragedy can happen as you try to do your job. Something needs to be done to address the knife culture amongst some of the groups of youngster in this country. Mrs Maguire was immensely well respected and will be sorely missed - RIP.

Dreadful tragedy. Not surprised or shocked though. Not sure what country you are talking about? Actually surprised it doesn t happen more often but this may be a kick- start it needs. In very few jobs would a 61 yr old woman would be exposed to this risk but it is normal in teaching. I always hated the title of this thread and the bollix that started it might review it. In many situations teachers never know what is coming down the line and anything can happen.

ziggy90

Quote from: moysider on April 29, 2014, 12:18:50 AM

Dreadful tragedy. Not surprised or shocked though. Not sure what country you are talking about? Actually surprised it doesn t happen more often but this may be a kick- start it needs. In very few jobs would a 61 yr old woman would be exposed to this risk but it is normal in teaching. I always hated the title of this thread and the bollix that started it might review it. In many situations teachers never know what is coming down the line and anything can happen.

Desperate tragedy, I have three daughters who are teachers and this left me feeling sick to my stomach.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Lecale2

An awful incident but thankfully extremely rare. RIP

BennyHarp

Quote from: moysider on April 29, 2014, 12:18:50 AM

I meant England - hopefully this is something that hasn't worked its way into Irish schools. People are always barking on about the job teachers do, the holidays and their pensions - but a 60 year old woman should not have to deal with teenage kids. That lady should have felt comfortable enough to retire last year after devoting 40 years of her life to helping kids. By the time it comes to my retirement, the age will be closer to 70 than 60 - its depressing all round.
That was never a square ball!!

Billys Boots

QuoteI meant England - hopefully this is something that hasn't worked its way into Irish schools.

Let me assure you; it has!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

muppet

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 29, 2014, 03:54:03 PM
QuoteI meant England - hopefully this is something that hasn't worked its way into Irish schools.

Let me assure you; it has!

My aunt was assaulted by a student.

She never returned to teaching.
MWWSI 2017