Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 23, 2019, 10:28:41 AM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on September 23, 2019, 10:16:19 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 23, 2019, 10:08:51 AM
Look at the state of the front 6 yesterday, nobody could seriously go to West Ham and get a result with that front 6. Matic & Mata are finished as top players, Pereira isn't good enough and McTominay & James probably have about 50 starts between them;

I had no issues with United selling Lukaka but he should have been replaced by someone like Mandzukic who would probably be content with been a bit part player. Fellaini & Herrera have left the club in the last 12 months and Matic has regressed at an alarming rate and United haven't bought a midfielder in that time so nobody and a player who's distinctly average in Pereira is now first choice.

It doesn't matter who's in charge of United with that side, a few injuries which has now occurred was always going to lead to huge issues. Last summer United bought in 3 good players who've hit the ground running, if United can bring in 3 or 4 players in the next 2 transfer windows who'll have a similar impact then things will look a lot better but thats a big if.

Reading last week that Mandzukic was the plan but he waited to see if he made Juve's champions league squad before deciding on leaving. He didnt make the list and missed the transfer deadline because of this?

Possibly but think there was a rumour United wouldn't give him what he wanted, I've bigger issues with not bringing in a midfielder and allowing Herrera to leave on a free whilst giving big contracts to Smalling, Jones & Lingard. Woodward has been a disaster, its bad enough wasting money on players who are not good enough but continuously paying players over the odds which makes them impossible to move on is unforgivable. Chelsea have spent as much as United in recent years if not more but they've managed to sell well too because players aren't on ridiculous money.

Sky had a stat up yesterday where United and Chelsea had spent roughly the same since 2013 (not sure why that was the period), about £900m i think. They were 2&3 in the spending list behind City. Liverpool were 4th but about £200m less than both.

BennyCake

Fergie left in 2013 and Jose returned to Chelsea then. That's probably why

Joeythelips

I have just seen that twitter post showing Phil Jones mouthing 'sacked in the morning'. What a clown, he should be turfed out asap. Clowns like him who are average players on bloated contracts is one of the main reasons united are where they are.

United are at the beginning of a major rebuilding job which will take a good couple of years and no matter who is in change they need time as results are not going to change over night. Ole in fairness has brought in 3 good signings who have improved the side so its a good first step, next he needs a creative midfielder and centre forward, then its building up the squad which is extremely light currently.

Will he get the time he needs, they have given him the time via his contract but his lack of experience may count against him. With Spurs having a slow start it would not be a surprise to see Poch move on. To me he seems the ideal manager for this rebuilding job.

TabClear

Quote from: Joeythelips on September 24, 2019, 08:40:52 AM
I have just seen that twitter post showing Phil Jones mouthing 'sacked in the morning'. What a clown, he should be turfed out asap. Clowns like him who are average players on bloated contracts is one of the main reasons united are where they are.

United are at the beginning of a major rebuilding job which will take a good couple of years and no matter who is in change they need time as results are not going to change over night. Ole in fairness has brought in 3 good signings who have improved the side so its a good first step, next he needs a creative midfielder and centre forward, then its building up the squad which is extremely light currently.

Will he get the time he needs, they have given him the time via his contract but his lack of experience may count against him. With Spurs having a slow start it would not be a surprise to see Poch move on. To me he seems the ideal manager for this rebuilding job.

I saw that. Was that Woodward sitting in front who told him to "shut up ,we're on TV".

gallsman

Yup, can read both their lips pretty easily and vast majority of people on Twitter seem to agree.

NAG1

Quote from: gallsman on September 24, 2019, 09:08:46 AM
Yup, can read both their lips pretty easily and vast majority of people on Twitter seem to agree.

Think the only reason that Jones didn't go out on loan and Smalling did was because no one would even take him on loan. He is going to sit on the bench or mostly not even in the squad for the majority of the season barring injuries/ suspensions.

I don't think any of the fans are shocked with where the team are at the moment, glad to see Rio giving a bit back to these eejits on the fan TV channel. Guys like that made a mockery of Arsenal and Wengers last season at the club, just for their own ends.

There is a rebuilding job in progress, so it is a matter of sitting tight and hoping that they give Ole the time to see it through and then judge him when he has his own stamp on the team and more importantly his own players in that team.

Hound

Quote from: TabClear on September 24, 2019, 09:02:05 AM

I saw that. Was that Woodward sitting in front who told him to "shut up ,we're on TV".

I think that's a case of Twitter taking the mick.

To me, Jones just says "Poor". And, by pure coincidence, Woodward turns around at the same time to say something to the person beside Jones.

But I could be wrong, and the Twitter version is certainly juicier!

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: NAG1 on September 24, 2019, 09:14:01 AM

Think the only reason that Jones didn't go out on loan and Smalling did was because no one would even take him on loan. He is going to sit on the bench or mostly not even in the squad for the majority of the season barring injuries/ suspensions.

I don't think any of the fans are shocked with where the team are at the moment, glad to see Rio giving a bit back to these eejits on the fan TV channel. Guys like that made a mockery of Arsenal and Wengers last season at the club, just for their own ends.

There is a rebuilding job in progress, so it is a matter of sitting tight and hoping that they give Ole the time to see it through and then judge him when he has his own stamp on the team and more importantly his own players in that team.

Speaking of Rio, lest we forget  ;D ;D ;D

https://twitter.com/rioferdy5/status/1111198416267284480?lang=en

Boycey

Well if Twitter says it it's got to be true  ;D

laoislad

Quote from: TabClear on September 24, 2019, 09:02:05 AM

I dunno, it looks to me like he's saying "can you believe there was fellas on the gaaboard who thought we'd get 90+ points this season"

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gawa316

Quote from: laoislad on September 24, 2019, 11:42:20 AM

I dunno, it looks to me like he's saying "can you believe there was fellas on the gaaboard who thought we'd get 90+ points this season"

Still no one claiming that beauty?

magpie seanie

So it seems the club have decided on a complete reset which absolutely tallies with what I suspected and Solskjaer's actions in the offseason. No quick fixes. Apparently determined to add a Director of Football too. I despise the Glazers and Woodward as much as anyone, probably more than most, but this is undoubtedly the correct approach. Not guaranteed to be successful or that OGS will see it through the whole way but I'm absolutely 100% behind him.

Hopefully a good performance tonight and a win with a young side.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 25, 2019, 12:13:23 PM
So it seems the club have decided on a complete reset which absolutely tallies with what I suspected and Solskjaer's actions in the offseason. No quick fixes. Apparently determined to add a Director of Football too. I despise the Glazers and Woodward as much as anyone, probably more than most, but this is undoubtedly the correct approach. Not guaranteed to be successful or that OGS will see it through the whole way but I'm absolutely 100% behind him.

I completely agree with a reset needed but the club should have bought a midfielder and striker during the summer to make things a bit easier for him. I think Ole is going to commit career suicide to try and make things better down the line. Some of the bullshit reaction from fans has been disgusting.

As for the director of football thing, I think that's bullshit - if they were serious about it and not just looking a fall guy in the position they would have got one by now. Woodward wants control over everything. I saw someone on one of the fan pages mentioned that they thought OGS could end up being DoF and another manager brought in.

NAG1

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on September 25, 2019, 12:48:31 PM

I completely agree with a reset needed but the club should have bought a midfielder and striker during the summer to make things a bit easier for him. I think Ole is going to commit career suicide to try and make things better down the line. Some of the bullshit reaction from fans has been disgusting.

As for the director of football thing, I think that's bullshit - if they were serious about it and not just looking a fall guy in the position they would have got one by now. Woodward wants control over everything. I saw someone on one of the fan pages mentioned that they thought OGS could end up being DoF and another manager brought in.

Anyone who follows the club properly understands the need to reset the squad and the ethos that has prevailed for the past number of seasons, even into the end of AFS's time.

From what I can gather the funds were there but the right player/s weren't. It has been said on here that it is going to be a couple of transfer windows at least before he can really be judged, it is whether the players he currently has can get him enough time to complete the job.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: NAG1 on September 25, 2019, 12:54:13 PM
Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on September 25, 2019, 12:48:31 PM

Anyone who follows the club properly understands the need to reset the squad and the ethos that has prevailed for the past number of seasons, even into the end of AFS's time.

From what I can gather the funds were there but the right player/s weren't. It has been said on here that it is going to be a couple of transfer windows at least before he can really be judged, it is whether the players he currently has can get him enough time to complete the job.

Absolutely no issues on a total reset, most of us have agreed its been needed since 2013 and never came, would imagine he'd like to have got rid of a few more but because of the ridiculous wages their on has made it difficult. Looking at the financial results that was announced yesterday it looks like there'll be no huge summer spending spree unless United qualify for the CL. Its going to be very difficult to finish 4th, luckily Chelsea & Arsenal are in the same boat as United. United are very short in 2 key areas up front and in midfield. I can see why they've not replaced Lukaku because they know Greenwood is a bit special but there's no excuse with not buying a midfielder or bringing one in on loan.

The wage bill is just ridiculous; Matc, Fred, Jones, Smalling & Rojo are probably earning an average of £150k a week, thats total madness. Matic is out of contract at the end of the season so he'll leave on a free but its not going to be easy getting rid of the others.