David Franks retires from Offaly

Started by AZOffaly, November 15, 2012, 10:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

David Franks announced his retirement yesterday. A very good corner back, and I think the last link to the defeated All Ireland team of 2000. I think Wolverine (Ger Oakley) was the last link to the All Ireland winners of 1998.

Franks hurled with Ballyskenagh in Offaly before transferring over to Carrickshock in Kilkenny. He was a great servant to Offaly over the years, and my favourite memory of him is bursting up the field and scoring a fantastic point against Waterford in Semple Stadium.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 15, 2012, 10:48:41 AM
David Franks announced his retirement yesterday. A very good corner back, and I think the last link to the defeated All Ireland team of 2000. I think Wolverine (Ger Oakley) was the last link to the All Ireland winners of 1998.

Franks hurled with Ballyskenagh in Offaly before transferring over to Carrickshock in Kilkenny. He was a great servant to Offaly over the years, and my favourite memory of him is bursting up the field and scoring a fantastic point against Waterford in Semple Stadium.

Never had him to be that old to be retiring, what age is he now?

joe bloggs

David was a real sticky man marker. He will be a loss as unfortunately there is very little new blood coming through

Bord na Mona man

Franks was a top notch man marking corner back. He always tried to get out and win the ball from the front rather than just sticking to the back of his man.
A great man to pull off contortions to clear a ball too. He played a lot of hurling at wing forward when he move to Carrickshock in Kilkenny, so he was definitely a decent all rounder..
He'll be tough to replace.

orangeman

Brian Geary of Limerick hangs them up too.

AND so it continues, as another long-serving Limerick hurler departs the inter-county scene without winning an All-Ireland or Munster senior medal.

Brian Geary seemed to be in with every chance of landing the big prizes when he featured prominently as part of a highly-talented generation that won three successive All-Ireland U-21 titles (he played in 2000 and 2001) at the start of the new millennium.

However, it never quite worked out in a county that has had more than its fair share of controversial times over the last decade. Things have settled down in recent years and Limerick are now making steady, solid progress under John Allen.

However, Geary (right) won't be part of the set-up next year. A centre-back of immense presence before moving to the attack, he contributed enormously to the cause for 13 seasons.

And while he never won an All-Ireland senior medal, he can walk away secure in the knowledge that he did Limerick's hurling state some serious service.

johnneycool

Quote from: orangeman on November 22, 2012, 11:54:19 PM
Brian Geary of Limerick hangs them up too.

AND so it continues, as another long-serving Limerick hurler departs the inter-county scene without winning an All-Ireland or Munster senior medal.

Brian Geary seemed to be in with every chance of landing the big prizes when he featured prominently as part of a highly-talented generation that won three successive All-Ireland U-21 titles (he played in 2000 and 2001) at the start of the new millennium.

However, it never quite worked out in a county that has had more than its fair share of controversial times over the last decade. Things have settled down in recent years and Limerick are now making steady, solid progress under John Allen.

However, Geary (right) won't be part of the set-up next year. A centre-back of immense presence before moving to the attack, he contributed enormously to the cause for 13 seasons.

And while he never won an All-Ireland senior medal, he can walk away secure in the knowledge that he did Limerick's hurling state some serious service.

A horse of a man who physically dominated his area of the pitch and sent many's a solo running midfielder backwards, didn't really feature under the new management last year and was making do in centre forward, not a position that came naturally to him.

Good hurler in his pomp.

Premier Emperor

It's making me feel old when promising players who were younger than me are now retiring due to old age!