Kilkenny v Tipp

Started by Catscream, August 20, 2014, 07:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catscream

Well now its time to start making the predictions for Sept 7th. Going on the only real benchmark which is Limerick this year (Kilkenny and Tipp have had some awfully poor opponents this year) I reckon KK will just about shade it. Tipp need to up it a notch to win which is doable as they seem more together as a team than any other time  in the past few years.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Canalman

Would echo Laoislad's views. Honestly think that this Kilkenny team is there for the taking and Tipperary's constant and intelligent movement in their forward line will result in a imo very easy win for Tipperary.

Tipperary imo again would be wise to stear clear of all "rough stuff" in the early part of the game despite their tradition of never ever doing so.

Any team with Michael Cahil and others on the subs' bench is a seriously good team.

Tipperary by 7 to 10 points.

lynchbhoy

I'd expect a tipp win by a sizeable margin

Premier Emperor

If I was making those predictions about Tipp's winning margin, the site would be crashed with the outrage.  ;D

Personally I think Tipp are 7 or 8 points better than the Cats. I can't see is winning it that easily. Kilkenny's bitterness towards us will make sure they fight tooth and nail to make it a tight game.

Roashter

I would fancy Tipp as well.
The aura around kilkenny looks to have faded a bit, and their full-forward line was atrocious against Limerick with only a single Eoin Larkin goal to show for their efforts from play. Ritchie Power will surely start inside and wouldn't be surprised to see Walter Walsh either.

Kilkenny's midfield is going really well this year, but the performance of McGrath & Woodlock the last day is a massive plus for Tipp.
Tipp's defence also looks very strong, and the team as a whole seems to have options all over the field.
I think Corbett must go the way of Shefflin as he was very poor against Cork. Impact sub might be the best option for him as I think there is huge potential in Jason Forde.

Milltown Row2

With the terrible weather conditions in the Kilkenny Limerick game I thought that Limerick were the better team on the day but Kilkenny managed to get over the line. Limerick have been a quality side these last 2 seasons to be fair, while Tip have been muck. Tipp really opened up against a poor Cork team on the day but can they deliver 2 quality performances in a row? And will Kilkenny deliver two poor performances in a row?

As PE has said, the bitterness between these two team will keep it tight, it's an All Ireland final ffs, Kilkenny won't play as bad next day out (they still won!!) The Kilkenny FB line is a lot stronger that Corks I would have thought, yes their forward line is missing that bit of bite (was only in one game) but I'd expect TJ to have a far better game than he did last time out, I thought he was lost or in poor form against Limerick which didn't help Kilkenny's game.

Kilkenny by the minimum
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2014, 11:34:56 AM
With the terrible weather conditions in the Kilkenny Limerick game I thought that Limerick were the better team on the day but Kilkenny managed to get over the line. Limerick have been a quality side these last 2 seasons to be fair, while Tip have been muck. Tipp really opened up against a poor Cork team on the day but can they deliver 2 quality performances in a row? And will Kilkenny deliver two poor performances in a row?

As PE has said, the bitterness between these two team will keep it tight, it's an All Ireland final ffs, Kilkenny won't play as bad next day out (they still won!!) The Kilkenny FB line is a lot stronger that Corks I would have thought, yes their forward line is missing that bit of bite (was only in one game) but I'd expect TJ to have a far better game than he did last time out, I thought he was lost or in poor form against Limerick which didn't help Kilkenny's game.

Kilkenny by the minimum

Kilkenny certainly are not the team they were and are very beatable as Limerick really should have had them albeit I think the poor weather suited Kilkenny and their more direct approach than Limerick who like the work the ball out a bit more before putting it into their forwards.
At the same time the abject poorness of Cork might gloss over a few Tipp failings which Cody will be doing his damnest to exploit. Firstly the high ball into Callanan won't work with JJ or Tyrell picking him up so they'll need to hit the spaces, but Kilkenny won't leave just so much space in behind there and they certainly won't leave the Tipp midfield and Paudie Maher with the freedom they enjoyed on Sunday to pick out players at will.
I was very impressed with the Tipp defence in general, Barrett, Bergin and these lads have a bit of pace about them so Kilkenny won't get a whole pile of easy scores either which will lead to another tight, dour struggle as their recent AI's have more or less been.
A lot IMO will depend on the style of refereeing, if its let go into an abrasive battle, then Kilkenny will probably come out on top, but if we get a few early frees setting the tone of how the tackle is to be allowed then I can see a far more open contest, probably favouring Tipp, if its the same Tipp that played Cork, that is.

My gut still says Kilkenny though, but then again I need a dose of epsom salts...

mouview

Lar was poorish against Cork but still did a few good things. His history v KK is mixed but until someone as good as him with that indefinable bit of extra class comes along, I think he's worth persisting with.

For all KK's fans hype of him, TJ Reid has been quiet *from play* in a number of big games this year, e.g. league final, draw with Galway, (MOTM in replay in fairness), quietish v Dublin and again v Lk. Indeed KK's forwards in general haven't set the c'ship alight; Colin Fennelly has been consistent and good, Eoin Larkin works hard but has not to date been a major scoring threat, Henry's impact has been largely marginal, Richie Power is dangerous but has been injury-plagued, Mark Kelly and Walter Walsh have just been poor and Taggy hasn't been starting.  Could KK suddenly go the way of MU??!!!!!

NAG1

How anyone can look past KK for this game is beyond me.

Tipps tactic of lobbing the long ball in the the FF will be meat and drink to the KK backs. Lar can go out the field in search of all the loose ball he wants he just won't find any. Colin Fennelly on Paudie Maher would run him into the ground pace to burn.

I am no fan of KK but I just cant see the optimism for Tipp on this occasion and I had backed them to be beat Cork in the Semi final. But apart from a woeful Cork performance Tipp would probably have struggled to get over the line.

It will be a dog fight and the experienced heads will come out on top IMO.

Catscream

Every year people say that KK are there for the taking but no one ever seems to be able to do the taking. Tipperary more than most have been on the losing side of most of these games. To say Tipp are 6-7 points better than this KK side is madness after  because they just beat a Cork team that did not show up. Tipp may not fear the KK full forward line but the half forward line will be a different story. There will be no easy ball for Maher and co to drive Tipp on. Most likely they will be under pressure facing their own goal.

KK by 4 at most

seafoid

Quote from: Catscream on August 22, 2014, 04:21:10 PM
Every year people say that KK are there for the taking but no one ever seems to be able to do the taking. Tipperary more than most have been on the losing side of most of these games. To say Tipp are 6-7 points better than this KK side is madness after  because they just beat a Cork team that did not show up. Tipp may not fear the KK full forward line but the half forward line will be a different story. There will be no easy ball for Maher and co to drive Tipp on. Most likely they will be under pressure facing their own goal.

KK by 4 at most
I thought Tipp won in 2010.
It'll come down to how much change the Tipp forwards get out of the KK backs. 
The cats are not the force they were.
They might squeeze another title running on fumes and sheer willpower like Man Utd 2 seasons ago.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sylvieslynanesnutsack

Hate to state the obvious but Tipp and Kilkenny have both played Limerick in championship this year, one lost and the other won. Think there are some delusional Tipp fans on here.

Kidder81

Quote from: sylvieslynanesnutsack on August 22, 2014, 05:10:30 PM
Hate to state the obvious but Tipp and Kilkenny have both played Limerick in championship this year, one lost and the other won. Think there are some delusional Tipp fans on here.

That's not how it works

Cork beat Limerick & Tipp stuffed Cork so where are we now ?

sylvieslynanesnutsack

The common denominator is Limerick as far as Tipp and Kilkenny go.