Any update on King Henry's injury?

Started by Man Marker, August 09, 2010, 12:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Obviously Kilkenny will still be awesome but when I think back over the last few years Henry has so often been the difference. He was the difference on Sunday early on when the game was still a match and ditto against Galway. Also I wouldn't underestimate the importance of his presence on the pitch. They've never before gone into battle without their great leader.

Reillers

Quote from: Asal Mor on August 10, 2010, 11:04:16 PM
Terrible news. There's no words to describe how sh!tty this is. Best hurler I've seen. He'll be back.

The only silver lining is that it makes Kilkenny a little bit vulnerable in the final.

My only worry is, well will he be back. He did his other cruciate all ready, and it's fuckin awful luck that he does it again, especially on the eve of what could be such a momentus occasion in hurling. But he's almost 32, just wondering will we see him back? I hope we will cause he's a lot more to give to the game.

Asal Mor

I suppose there is a chance we won't see him again at the highest level but he always seems to keep himself in such impeccable shape that I'd be betting he makes it back. He has never looked so much as an ounce overweight in all his career. The odds on him being as great as he was aren't the best tho. Still he's no ordinary man.

Reillers

Quote from: Asal Mor on August 11, 2010, 12:14:39 AM
I suppose there is a chance we won't see him again at the highest level but he always seems to keep himself in such impeccable shape that I'd be betting he makes it back. He has never looked so much as an ounce overweight in all his career. The odds on him being as great as he was aren't the best tho. Still he's no ordinary man.

It's not that I can't see him physically not being able to get back into it. Just there's a point where enoughs enough, while they physically may be able to continue on, they just get to the point where they loose the stomach for it. Look at Deane, Canning..etc. All could have carried on, but didn't.
He's 32 soon enough, he was never going to have long left, I just hope this doesn't push forward the inevidable. But he is King Henry after all. Not a mere mortal like the rest of us.  ;) Hopefully though we'll see him back, doesn't look to have lost anything, he's a game winner, and when you're a game winner for Kilkenny that's saying something. Really and truely one of the best the game has seen and I wish him well, as I'm sure everybody does. It'll be a long road back again, but hopefully it's not the end of him and he's back for next season in the black and amber giving us all headaches trying to figure out just how to deal with him and his lot.

But, on a side note, as good as Kilkenny are, even they will feel his loss in a big way. You can replace most of their players 3 times over and still probably not see much of a difference, but Shefflin is a league of his own. Either way it'll be one hell of a scrap for the fight for his position.

seafoid

I think it highlights the damage that high level intercounty activity can do to players. This is the 4th cruciate ligament injury in this KK team according to The Irish times. Throw in what happened to Bernard flynn's hips as reported in the tribune or Joe Canning's groin and the pattern is alarming . There are plenty more examples.   

orangeman

Quote from: seafoid on August 11, 2010, 05:14:18 PM
I think it highlights the damage that high level intercounty activity can do to players. This is the 4th cruciate ligament injury in this KK team according to The Irish times. Throw in what happened to Bernard flynn's hips as reported in the tribune or Joe Canning's groin and the pattern is alarming . There are plenty more examples.

It is happening a lot to IC players but club players are getting their fair share as well of torn cruciates etc.

I'd say the GAA insurance has noticed a rise in claims and a rise in private operations as past few years.

But I do accept your point that sustained IC activity is taking its toll on the players.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on August 11, 2010, 05:34:55 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 11, 2010, 05:14:18 PM

It is happening a lot to IC players but club players are getting their fair share as well of torn cruciates etc.

I'd say the GAA insurance has noticed a rise in claims and a rise in private operations as past few years.

But I do accept your point that sustained IC activity is taking its toll on the players.

I think it really is taking it's toll. Over the past few years the game has become professional in all but name, the training has become incredibly professional and more and more competitive. A bit of Donal Og's book, it says how Kevin Hartnett and DOC on Christmas Eve and on Christmas day with Sean Og and teu, in the gym and ball alley, wondering if any of their rivals are pushing themselves this way. They are really competitive and we're seeing the result of it.

I still think someone needs to sit Joe Canning down and get him to see sense, he's a young lad, with a big future hopefully.

That said players have been getting injured since gamse begin, just the GAA is a lot more high intensity, high pressure, and they act as professionals when it comes to training.

That said, guys at club level work as hard, and we're seeing it at club level as well, alot of serious injuries, but the constant activity of an IC player is taking it's toll.

seafoid

Quote from: seafoid on August 11, 2010, 07:51:26 PM
Quote from: Reillers on August 11, 2010, 07:17:50 PM

I still think someone needs to sit Joe Canning down and get him to see sense, he's a young lad, with a big future hopefully.

That said players have been getting injured since gamse begin, just the GAA is a lot more high intensity, high pressure, and they act as professionals when it comes to training.

The training they do nowadays is off the scale compared to what say the Cork 3 in a row lads were doing in the 70s.

Agree totally about Joe C. He should take a year off. Galway won't be ready anyway until 2012 :)
[/quote]

orangeman

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on August 13, 2010, 11:02:23 AM
Quote from: Reillers on August 13, 2010, 10:55:18 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0813/1224276715619.html

No mere mortal after all.

What's this about ?

Mind games ? Surely it would / could only be a token appearance ?

Surely it's only mind games I'd say. Is it worth it, I mean no matter what they say or do, it's supposed to take about 6/8 months, not 3 weeks. He'd be able to do very little and they risk further injury if they play him I'd say.
I'd say it's very much the case of him being able to walk out with the team, sit on the bench, mentally that's a boost for the team, and Tipp/Waterford will always have it in the back of their head that he might be able to come on at some point.

I'd say it's purely mind games, but you know, it is King Henry after all.

Roashter

I don't think it is mind games, but I would be very surprised if he were to play.

Typically this injury requires an ACL reconstruction, which typically involves taking a part of your patella tendon or hamstring as a substitute for your cruciate and inserting this into your knee using biodegradable bolts/screws to keep it in place. Following surgery it takes on average between 6-8 months for a "sports" person to return to competitive action. This 6-8 months requires an incredible amount of physio and on-your-own gym work.

There are cases however of people playing without a cruciate, which can be achieved if your quad muscles are sufficiently strong enough. The only name that I can think of who plays without a cruciate is Kevin Hayes from Portumna/Galway but I'm not certain on this. I know there are others in different sports but again I can't provide any names. (Rugby players generally have extremely strong leg muscles so chances are there are a few here in this category).

I do remember reading an article a few years back on Roberto Baggio playing in USA '94 only 3 months after his ACL operation which was an incredible achievement (plus he was in his mid 30s at the time I think)

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: orangeman on August 10, 2010, 09:52:41 PM
He's NEVER missed a game in the championship under Cody.

Horrible luck but it shows how easy these things can happen and the obvious greater risk of doing another cruciate once you've done one of them before.

What are you talking about, he did the cruciate in the other knee this time  ???

Anyways, gutted for the man, some kick in the teeth...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Reillers

Quote from: Roashter on August 13, 2010, 11:36:59 AM
I don't think it is mind games, but I would be very surprised if he were to play.

Typically this injury requires an ACL reconstruction, which typically involves taking a part of your patella tendon or hamstring as a substitute for your cruciate and inserting this into your knee using biodegradable bolts/screws to keep it in place. Following surgery it takes on average between 6-8 months for a "sports" person to return to competitive action. This 6-8 months requires an incredible amount of physio and on-your-own gym work.

There are cases however of people playing without a cruciate, which can be achieved if your quad muscles are sufficiently strong enough. The only name that I can think of who plays without a cruciate is Kevin Hayes from Portumna/Galway but I'm not certain on this. I know there are others in different sports but again I can't provide any names. (Rugby players generally have extremely strong leg muscles so chances are there are a few here in this category).

I do remember reading an article a few years back on Roberto Baggio playing in USA '94 only 3 months after his ACL operation which was an incredible achievement (plus he was in his mid 30s at the time I think)

No I think they'll give it a go, but the lads walking around with the need of two crutches, it's 3 weeks, it dosen't matter hos little damage is done in comparison to what could have been damaged, it's supposed to take months, not 3 weeks. It doesn't matter hwo strong his mucles are, or how fit he is, it's 3 weeks. Not even a month for a lad who's 31 years old. I think they're looking at doing damage if they play him, which is why I think it's a pure mental thing.

seafoid

The Irish times report sounds like the legend of El Cid.