Limerick hurlers

Started by INDIANA, November 05, 2009, 10:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

I'm sensing that maybe you think O'Grady might be a good manager Reillers? Would that be fair to say?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 22, 2010, 11:54:20 PM
I'm sensing that maybe you think O'Grady might be a good manager Reillers? Would that be fair to say?

Im sensing that Reillers has a poster of Donal O Grady in his bedroom.

Ah no, all joking aside its good to see someone being so positive about a manager on this site. Can i ask you this reillers, when i watch O Grady as a pundit, ya i think hes a decent one, but i like to think he holds back on his knowledge of the game because i find he talks at a basic level? Is this the case?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 22, 2010, 09:47:09 PM
Neither did Clare in the 90s, but Loughnane made them a team. It only needs 5 or 6 good players to mould a team around, and then a sense of purpose, togetherness and a game plan will take you a good bit of the way.

I don't think Limerick will be winning All Irelands, but I think they'll be looking at a poor Munster Championship (If Tipp freewheel in may again) as possible.

Div 2 ain't going to help though.

club hurling in Clare in the 90's was at an all time high, with four different clubs winning Munster finals and two AI club finals, Clarecastle , St Joseph's, Wolfe Tones and Sixmilebridge.

If Limerick were doing the same you could possibly understand the optimism but as good as O'Grady is he can't walk across the Shannon.

AZOffaly

Slightly disingenuous if I may say so johnney. The first clare club to win a Munster or AI club were Sixmilebridge, and that happened *after* the senior inter county All Ireland.

They say a rising tide lifts all boats, and I think Loughnane raised standards and changed mindsets throughout that county.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2010, 09:18:31 AM
Slightly disingenuous if I may say so johnney. The first clare club to win a Munster or AI club were Sixmilebridge, and that happened *after* the senior inter county All Ireland.

They say a rising tide lifts all boats, and I think Loughnane raised standards and changed mindsets throughout that county.

Good hurlers don't rise overnight unless they're from Cork as the old mushroom saying goes.

Clare had been putting in the ground work with underage teams well before this, clearing the boards at a Feile in 85 or 86 and I remember being at a Munster final around 88 where the Munster U-16 title was contested by two Clare regional teams prior to the minor game.

If anything Loughnane knew the players were there as he'd been involved in a lot of the juvenile hurling prior to this and indeed changed the mindsets, but I don't think Limerick hurling has that same base that Loughnane had in Clare back then

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnneycool on September 23, 2010, 09:28:14 AM

Good hurlers don't rise overnight unless they're from Cork as the old mushroom saying goes.

Clare had been putting in the ground work with underage teams well before this, clearing the boards at a Feile in 85 or 86 and I remember being at a Munster final around 88 where the Munster U-16 title was contested by two Clare regional teams prior to the minor game.

If anything Loughnane knew the players were there as he'd been involved in a lot of the juvenile hurling prior to this and indeed changed the mindsets, but I don't think Limerick hurling has that same base that Loughnane had in Clare back then

Probably not, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. I don't think Limerick will be winning All Irelands like Clare (as I said before), but I think a good manager who changes the mindset would bring them along the road significantly.

Of that Clare team, I think they had a great goalie, a great fullback, 2 great half backs, including the best centre back I saw, a good midfield  and 1 great forward. The rest were fair to average that played above themselves, in my opinion. I don't think Limerick would be miles behind that

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2010, 09:31:19 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 23, 2010, 09:28:14 AM

Probably not, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. I don't think Limerick will be winning All Irelands like Clare (as I said before), but I think a good manager who changes the mindset would bring them along the road significantly.

Of that Clare team, I think they had a great goalie, a great fullback, 2 great half backs, including the best centre back I saw, a good midfield  and 1 great forward. The rest were fair to average that played above themselves, in my opinion. I don't think Limerick would be miles behind that

I hope you aren't leaving Liam Doyle out of that half back line and Frank Lohan was certainly above average in the corner.
Granted their forwards won't go down in history as great hurlers and made up for that with huge work rate and desire.

I'm not saying a good manager won't make a difference to Limerick as surely they would.
Limericks seeming inability to stick to a gameplan and reliance on individuality to get them over the line rather than a structured approach to defending and attacking which by listening to O'Grady and seeing how well organised his Cork teams were is a big thing of his can only bode well for them if they are prepared to listen and be disciplined enough to follow instruction and that seems to be the big IF.

AZOffaly

I am leaving Doyle out. I think I had a blind spot for him. Could never appreciate him. I thought Seanie Mac was brilliant. I don't think Frank Lohan was much above a sticky corner back. He, as a hurler, was no Canning, Kavanagh, Hanamy or Tyrell for instance. Obviously he was very effective, but that's kind of my point.

As for the rest, I agree with you. And I re-iterate, I expect O'Grady to maximise what he has, give them belief, and give them a plan. I think that will be enough to ensure they are competitive, at least, in Munster.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on September 22, 2010, 10:28:55 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2010, 09:52:32 PM
Neither did Clare in the 90s, but Loughnane made them a team. It only needs 5 or 6 good players to mould a team around, and then a sense of purpose, togetherness and a game plan will take you a good bit of the way.

I don't think Limerick will be winning All Irelands, but I think they'll be looking at a poor Munster Championship (If Tipp freewheel in may again) as possible.

I don't see the players AZ. Clare were getting to munster finals before loughnane ever took over. They also rose when kilkenny were at a low ebb and cork were pretty average as well. Tipp as well were decent rather then great. Now tipp are excellent, waterford have a stream of players coming through and clare arent far behind. Munster rugby dominates limierick too.

there was a part of Corcoran's book where he goes on about in an 04 match, I think, 2 Irish sports council officials came into the dressing room to conduct a random drug test, so Donal og and Sean Og were selected,  the four of them get up to go to the bathrooms to give urine samples and O Grady comes in and asks what's going on, the 2 lads explained and he asked for documentation, they showed him cards and he points to some initials in small prints, and asked what does it mean, they said they didn't know. O Grady ate them alive, what were they doing drug testing his players and they didn't know what it meant. Very much like they were back in the principal's office. And no one was safe from it.

We're all used to you plagarising your material straight from PROC & rebelgaa, but for the love of God would you credit your sources??

That story word for word was in today's Indo

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/right-man-right-place-right-time-2347647.html

"Once, during the 2004 championship, he approached two Irish Sports Council officials who had taken Cusack and Sean Og O hAilpin away for random drugs tests and demanded to see paperwork, which he got.

He queried the relevance of initials in small print on the forms produced, for which one official had no explanation. It was the official's first day and as Corcoran recalled it he was "like a school kid back in O'Grady's principal's office". "What," came the reply, "you're in here, drug-testing my players and you can't tell me what this means?"

With O'Grady it was all "mind games", according to Corcoran."

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on September 23, 2010, 09:38:29 PM

I don't see the players AZ. Clare were getting to munster finals before loughnane ever took over. They also rose when kilkenny were at a low ebb and cork were pretty average as well. Tipp as well were decent rather then great. Now tipp are excellent, waterford have a stream of players coming through and clare arent far behind. Munster rugby dominates limierick too.

there was a part of Corcoran's book where he goes on about in an 04 match, I think, 2 Irish sports council officials came into the dressing room to conduct a random drug test, so Donal og and Sean Og were selected,  the four of them get up to go to the bathrooms to give urine samples and O Grady comes in and asks what's going on, the 2 lads explained and he asked for documentation, they showed him cards and he points to some initials in small prints, and asked what does it mean, they said they didn't know. O Grady ate them alive, what were they doing drug testing his players and they didn't know what it meant. Very much like they were back in the principal's office. And no one was safe from it.

We're all used to you plagarising your material straight from PROC & rebelgaa, but for the love of God would you credit your sources??

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/right-man-right-place-right-time-2347647.html

"Once, during the 2004 championship, he approached two Irish Sports Council officials who had taken Cusack and Sean Og O hAilpin away for random drugs tests and demanded to see paperwork, which he got.

He queried the relevance of initials in small print on the forms produced, for which one official had no explanation. It was the official's first day and as Corcoran recalled it he was "like a school kid back in O'Grady's principal's office". "What," came the reply, "you're in here, drug-testing my players and you can't tell me what this means?"

Will you get over it ffs. I'm psychic now as well am I? For the love of God.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on September 23, 2010, 11:38:08 PM

Will you get over it ffs. I'm physic now as well am I? For the love of God.

No, you're not physic - you're a serial plagarist.

I can't see for the life of me why someone bullying someone going about their job in a professional manner should be a cause for celebration - who were these 'mind games' against? Some Sports council official in his early twenties? Yeah O'Grady is some hero alright..

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on September 24, 2010, 12:07:24 PM

I can't see for the life of me why someone bullying someone going about their job in a professional manner should be a cause for celebration - who were these 'mind games' against? Some Sports council official in his early twenties? Yeah O'Grady is some hero alright..

Ah yes, of course I am. How, was I supposed to know what someone was going to print a day after I posted it. It's is beyond belief that you have been banned yet. You are a wum, and it's unbelievable that you're still here.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on September 24, 2010, 12:44:45 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 24, 2010, 12:07:24 PM

Ah yes, of course I am. How, was I supposed to know what someone was going to print a day after I posted it. It's is beyond belief that you have been banned yet. You are a wum, and it's unbelievable that you're still here.

You would know someone is going to print something as your post was at 10.35pm on the night it was printed in that day's paper - it's not rocket science.

How am I a WUM? Where is the pride in bullying some young fella from the Sports council doing his job??

Somehow I don't expect to see Noel Hickey giving an interview next week bristling with pride about the time Cody reduced a 15 year old waitress to tears when he got a dirty fork...us against them lads....us against them...