Home IT/Internet Set Up

Started by ludermor, November 17, 2016, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

Trying to sort out my home internet make the best use of all the gadgets that use the internet
Currently the broadband comes into the house away from where it is needed most. I have BT Powerline extender plugged into the socket and this feeds the Skybox direct. The rest of the TV stuff is off WIFI but not sure i am getting the best of out them ( i have Fire Stick, Android Box, Smart TV).
Should i be looking at getting some other type of kit so i can plug in direct to each of the boxes? Its not feasible to wire direct from the router to the TV

JohnDenver

For a start the fire stick is wireless only as I'm sure you know.

Is the android box / smart TV / skybox all in the one location?  If so an option would be to get a small maybe 5 port switch. The Ethernet cable from your powerline extender would go into the switch, and you would run 3 more Ethernet cables out of the switch into the skybox, android box and smart TV making them all hard wired connections.

If the boxes are in different locations, another set of powerline adapters should be able to pair into the existing network.

rosnarun

you can get a devolo Powerline extender with 3  Ethernet  and wifi hub  not cheap but works really well
http://www.devolo.com/en/Products/dLAN-500-AV-Wireless+/
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ludermor

Quote from: JohnDenver on November 18, 2016, 09:02:20 AM
For a start the fire stick is wireless only as I'm sure you know.

Is the android box / smart TV / skybox all in the one location?  If so an option would be to get a small maybe 5 port switch. The Ethernet cable from your powerline extender would go into the switch, and you would run 3 more Ethernet cables out of the switch into the skybox, android box and smart TV making them all hard wired connections.

If the boxes are in different locations, another set of powerline adapters should be able to pair into the existing network.
Cheers John, that is exactly what i wanted to know. i was looking at a 5 port switch on amazon but didnt know where it would fit .
Yeah knew that about the Firestick but still want to make sure it works ok so want to get best wifi signal possible.
An

LeoMc

On a similar line. I am in an area with poor / no fixed line broadband. I am currently looking at EE4g as, for light usage it would be cheaper than satellite broadband.
My house is wired with LAN cables running from my home office to a number of rooms and to a couple of Wreless boosters.

The EE 4g routers have a sim card (input) and but only a WIFI output. Are there any Routers out there which can accept a SIM card and have ethernet cable outputs?

armaghniac

Quote from: LeoMc on November 18, 2016, 02:57:10 PM
On a similar line. I am in an area with poor / no fixed line broadband. I am currently looking at EE4g as, for light usage it would be cheaper than satellite broadband.
My house is wired with LAN cables running from my home office to a number of rooms and to a couple of Wreless boosters.

The EE 4g routers have a sim card (input) and but only a WIFI output. Are there any Routers out there which can accept a SIM card and have ethernet cable outputs?

This kind of yoke, in Maplins (e.g. Dundalk) or from Amazon.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tp-link-archer-mr200-4g-lte-wi-fi-router-with-sim-ca
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B