Food and drink you can't stand

Started by seafoid, April 15, 2016, 07:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 18, 2016, 12:03:50 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on April 18, 2016, 12:02:00 PM
Quote from: ashman on April 17, 2016, 10:41:38 AM
"Craft" beers and "pulled pork" .

You obviously don't have much of a palate for beers. There's a world of difference in craft beers and the regular rubbish you buy in the bars.

Some people just like fizzy yellow water.
Once you get on to the range of beers available, i find it hard to go back to drinking a pint of carlsberg or coors or whatever.
I agree to a point. Nothing wrong with a nice cold Coors though.
I like a few craft beers myself but it doesnt mean because its a craft beer it is automatically going to be nicer than one of the big brand beers.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: laoislad on April 18, 2016, 12:07:30 PM

You obviously don't have much of a palate for beers. There's a world of difference in craft beers and the regular rubbish you buy in the bars.

Once you get on to the range of beers available, i find it hard to go back to drinking a pint of carlsberg or coors or whatever.
I agree to a point. Nothing wrong with a nice cold Coors though.
I like a few craft beers myself but it doesnt mean because its a craft beer it is automatically going to be nicer than one of the big brand beers.

Some craft beers I dont like, but alot of them i would much prefer to the standard stuff on offer.
I just find most of the big brand lagers, bland and tasteless now.
I still love a good pint of Guinness though.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

FermGael

Couldn't agree more.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

muppet

Quote from: FermGael on April 18, 2016, 12:15:25 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Agreed and I put Heineken in that category too, even though I often settle for it if the choice isn't good.

I must say I am partial to Hophouse 13 these days when I can get it.
MWWSI 2017

johnneycool

Had a bad reaction to scallops one night and haven't been able to look at them since. All other seafood is no bother and I'd normally go for a seafood dish if out for a meal, but scallops are a big no no now!!

As for the steak thing, it must be a generational thing as my mum and dad always cremated it as well. It was like boot leather, but you clabbered it in salt and took it out with you to play and ate it on the go, like beef jerkey.

It's only when you get older and cook it yourself that you appreciate that is doesn't need to be dried out to high heavens. I don't like the bleed still running out of it though!

ludermor

Quote from: muppet on April 17, 2016, 04:39:01 PM
Yogurt - makes me sick instantly

Stew
Prunes
Semolina
Cabbage
Brussels Sprouts
Boiled vegetables

The above is a legacy of boarding school. Another legacy of boarding school is that I can eat most foods that I hate, otherwise I would have starved.
i know you might have had your runs in with him but its is bit harsh to say you cant stand him!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: johnneycool on April 18, 2016, 01:31:27 PM
Had a bad reaction to scallops one night and haven't been able to look at them since. All other seafood is no bother and I'd normally go for a seafood dish if out for a meal, but scallops are a big no no now!!

As for the steak thing, it must be a generational thing as my mum and dad always cremated it as well. It was like boot leather, but you clabbered it in salt and took it out with you to play and ate it on the go, like beef jerkey.

It's only when you get older and cook it yourself that you appreciate that is doesn't need to be dried out to high heavens. I don't like the bleed still running out of it though!

I really like seafood, but i have tried scallops a few times and dont like them, maybe they just havent been cooked properly, but i found them tough and rubbery.
Not a fan of oysters either. A big ball of goo in salty water
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

GJL

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 18, 2016, 02:16:28 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on April 18, 2016, 01:31:27 PM

I really like seafood, but i have tried scallops a few times and dont like them, maybe they just havent been cooked properly, but i found them tough and rubbery.
Not a fan of oysters either. A big ball of gue in salty water

Scallops should not be tough and rubbery if cooked correctly. They are the best form of seafood IMO. Done with some black pudding or bacon lardons they are class.

Beffs

Scallops are a very delicate fish. They require very little cooking & will generally absorb the flavour of whatever they are cooked in or with, as they don't have much flavour of their own. They go perfectly with a very good olive oil & some garlic. They are very easy to fcuk up and over cook, due to their delicate nature. One bad experience of them (or any other seafood) can put you off them for life. I'm the same with oysters.

Canalman

Surprised at the amount of posters who dislike mushrooms.

Agree also with previous poster and Supermacs food. Never took to the place at all and haven't set foot there in years. Sniff and sneer away but always would plump (pun intended) for McDonalds or especially Burgerking if stuck.

Cannot stand and will not eat meat with blood running from it.

seafoid

Quote from: Beffs on April 18, 2016, 03:14:42 PM
Scallops are a very delicate fish. They require very little cooking & will generally absorb the flavour of whatever they are cooked in or with, as they don't have much flavour of their own. They go perfectly with a very good olive oil & some garlic. They are very easy to fcuk up and over cook, due to their delicate nature. One bad experience of them (or any other seafood) can put you off them for life. I'm the same with oysters.
Scallops are lovely and very flexible with other ingredients

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: seafoid on April 18, 2016, 03:32:24 PM
I must give them another chance, the next time I see them on the menu in a decent restaurant.
I am guessing the time i had them before , they were over cooked or not as fresh as they should be.

GJL

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 18, 2016, 03:34:00 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 18, 2016, 03:32:24 PM
I must give them another chance, the next time I see them on the menu in a decent restaurant.
I am guessing the time i had them before , they were over cooked or not as fresh as they should be.

Buy them fresh yourself and fry them on a very hot pan for about 1 minute per side. As somebody above says they go well with a lot of things but I like them with bacon lardons. Don't be afraid to try these things at home. A lot less expensive.

gallsman

Scallops - cook them in garlic, ginger, lime juice and fresh chillis. Serve on top of black pudding with a dollup of butter over the top. Magnificent.

AZOffaly

My good wife is from Cahirciveen, and her father and uncle used go out on a rowing boat when the sea was flat calm, off Renard Point, across from Valentia. I hated the look of the bastards (the scallops, not the in-laws) when they were caught. That orange tongue thing is disgusting, but janey mac they are gorgeous fried up with bacon and her mam's brown bread. Mmmm. Only to be lifted if there wasn't an R in the month apparently. May - August basically.