Food and drink you can't stand

Started by seafoid, April 15, 2016, 07:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Beffs on April 16, 2016, 04:02:00 PM
Quote from: Hound on April 16, 2016, 01:37:03 PM
My pet hate is people who waste good steaks by over-cooking. Anyone who thinks a well done steak is nicer than a medium rare steak is a fookin idiot!
My wife's from a big family, and over the last 10 years I've managed to turn 7 of them from people who'd only eat steak well done, to people who now it cook the right way, the far far tastier way!

Oh jesus, don't get me started on those eegits. I honestly think it's an Irish mammy hang up, from the days when fridges were not common. You had to virtually cremate all meat products, to make sure it was fully cooked and all the bacteria killed off. The hang ups remain that if you don't eat everything well done, your insides would be eaten alive from the inside out, from all the maggots.....or so your mammy would tell you.  ::)

My mother could turn the most beautiful piece of fillet steak into shoe leather, in about 20 minutes flat. We kids didn't know any better & presumed that was normal. I can still remember the taste and texture of the first time I ate a steak cooked medium/medium rare....oh my God, the difference in taste and texture and flavour....the juicy succulence of it all, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. Anyone who thinks you have to a orders a steak well done for it to be "safe" needs to cop themselves on. It's 2016 FFS !

Sorry but I never got into the way they serve beef here in the states, still red and half raw. It was easy to completely give up the beef after that. I once sent a steak back three times because it wasn't cooked well enough for my liking. I was still new in the country and didn't realize that's just the way they do it.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: gawa316 on April 16, 2016, 06:09:00 AM
Tuna (can't be good eating something that smells that bad) most other seafood actually as well.

Fresh tuna has nearly no smell at all.In my opinion its actually better than steak.

Hate cabbage and despise custard. Will eat nearly everything else. 
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

gallsman

Quote from: Beffs on April 16, 2016, 04:02:00 PM
Quote from: Hound on April 16, 2016, 01:37:03 PM
My pet hate is people who waste good steaks by over-cooking. Anyone who thinks a well done steak is nicer than a medium rare steak is a fookin idiot!
My wife's from a big family, and over the last 10 years I've managed to turn 7 of them from people who'd only eat steak well done, to people who now it cook the right way, the far far tastier way!

Oh jesus, don't get me started on those eegits. I honestly think it's an Irish mammy hang up, from the days when fridges were not common. You had to virtually cremate all meat products, to make sure it was fully cooked and all the bacteria killed off. The hang ups remain that if you don't eat everything well done, your insides would be eaten alive from the inside out, from all the maggots.....or so your mammy would tell you.  ::)

My mother could turn the most beautiful piece of fillet steak into shoe leather, in about 20 minutes flat. We kids didn't know any better & presumed that was normal. I can still remember the taste and texture of the first time I ate a steak cooked medium/medium rare....oh my God, the difference in taste and texture and flavour....the juicy succulence of it all, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. Anyone who thinks you have to a orders a steak well done for it to be "safe" needs to cop themselves on. It's 2016 FFS !

Steak CAN be underdone though. I like mine medium rare, but not f**king raw.

A fella I know was in New York with friends and they decided to have one dinner at a fancy restaurant. He decided to order 70 dollar wagyu beef and, over the pleading suggestion of the waiter, loudly proclaimed he wanted it well done.

Beffs

No one is saying that you have to eat your steaks raw. But there is a happy medium - pardon the pun - between turning it into shoe leather and cooking it in a manner that is both safe to eat & tasty and flavourful. I honestly don't understand the point in coughing up big bucks for a prime piece of meat, that is bone dry, tough and tasteless, when the alternative is juicy and packed with flavour . Anyone who thinks that a piece of steak is raw, just because it has a bit of pink in the middle, doesn't know much about food. 

laoislad

Quote from: Beffs on April 16, 2016, 09:20:24 PM
No one is saying that you have to eat your steaks raw. But there is a happy medium - pardon the pun - between turning it into shoe leather and cooking it in a manner that is both safe to eat & tasty and flavourful. I honestly don't understand the point in coughing up big bucks for a prime piece of meat, that is bone dry, tough and tasteless, when the alternative is juicy and packed with flavour . Anyone who thinks that a piece of steak is raw, just because it has a bit of pink in the middle, doesn't know much about food.
+1
Could not agree more.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Hound

Quote from: leenie on April 16, 2016, 04:17:17 PM
Birdseye crispy pancakes (got wile food poisoning ended up in hospital)

90% of deserts especially triffle

Chicken on the bone

Baileys
Okay that's 2 people who said they don't like "chicken on the bone". So presumably you like chicken if someone takes it off the bone for you?

That makes you even more stupid than the thicks that like their steaks cremated

Beffs

What's wrong with chicken on the bone? Am I missing something?

A chicken roasting in the oven on a Sunday afternoon, is one of life's great smells.

Eamonnca1

Rotisserie chicken is one of the few meats I actually miss. The other is bacon.

gawa316

Quote from: gerrykeegan on April 16, 2016, 08:56:59 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on April 16, 2016, 06:09:00 AM
Tuna (can't be good eating something that smells that bad) most other seafood actually as well.

Fresh tuna has nearly no smell at all.In my opinion its actually better than steak.

Hate cabbage and despise custard. Will eat nearly everything else.

Aye I mean that oul canned stuff.

Need to throw in semolina and spam fritters as well, brings back awful memories of school.

gawa316

Quote from: Hound on April 16, 2016, 11:16:03 PM
Quote from: leenie on April 16, 2016, 04:17:17 PM
Birdseye crispy pancakes (got wile food poisoning ended up in hospital)

90% of deserts especially triffle

Chicken on the bone

Baileys
Okay that's 2 people who said they don't like "chicken on the bone". So presumably you like chicken if someone takes it off the bone for you?

That makes you even more stupid than the thicks that like their steaks cremated

Or it means we like the white breast meat and not the oul dark grey meat that you get on drumsticks etc. thought that was kinda obvious

ziggy90

Quote from: Nailer on April 16, 2016, 07:45:55 PM
They used to serve up stuff called Tapioca and Sago as school deserts,awful stuff altogether, the teacher on patrol in the canteen during mealtime used to threaten you with the Strap if you didn't eat it. The pupils called it Frogspawn which just about describes it.
Tinned Spam another revolting dislike, not sure if they still make any of this sh_ _t any more

Spam was fillet steak compared to fish bait luncheon meat.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Maguire01

Milk / Cream and most foods based on these.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 17, 2016, 10:16:15 AM
Milk / Cream and most foods based on these.
Choice or lactose intolerance?

Maguire01

ashman

"Craft" beers and "pulled pork" .