Food and drink you can't stand

Started by seafoid, April 15, 2016, 07:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beffs

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 18, 2016, 04:06:39 PM
My good wife is from Cahirciveen, and her father and uncle used go out on a rowing boat when the sea was flat calm, off Renard Point, across from Valentia. I hated the look of the b**tards (the scallops, not the in-laws) when they were caught. That orange tongue thing is disgusting, but janey mac they are gorgeous fried up with bacon and her mam's brown bread. Mmmm. Only to be lifted if there wasn't an R in the month apparently. May - August basically.

That sounds great. For an island nation, surrounded by all kinds of bounty in the seas, we are ridiculously gun shy of so many kinds of wonderful seafood imo. Whether it's down to the fish on Fridays hangups, or generations of Irish Mammys who knew sweet eff all about how to jazz up seafood, it's a very under utilized resource imo. Dirt cheap too, if you know where to go/shop/fish. Scallops go very well in pasta also. My other half makes a great garlic & pesto linguine, with baby corn, diced tomato & seared scallops.

AZOffaly

I think the seafood industry has been a revelation in Ireland the last 10 or so years. It used to be Battered Fish and Chips, or else smoked Cod or Haddock in that rotton white sauce, or a bit of salmon for poshness, and prawn cocktail (which I still love) for starter.

Now you have Brill, Swordfish, John Dory, Hake, Shark, Squid, Scallops, Mussels, Crab, Crab Claw, etc etc etc. Some of the seafood dishes down around Kerry/Cork/Clare/Galway/Mayo are just gorgeous.

muppet

Quote from: Beffs on April 18, 2016, 04:24:39 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 18, 2016, 04:06:39 PM
My good wife is from Cahirciveen, and her father and uncle used go out on a rowing boat when the sea was flat calm, off Renard Point, across from Valentia. I hated the look of the b**tards (the scallops, not the in-laws) when they were caught. That orange tongue thing is disgusting, but janey mac they are gorgeous fried up with bacon and her mam's brown bread. Mmmm. Only to be lifted if there wasn't an R in the month apparently. May - August basically.

That sounds great. For an island nation, surrounded by all kinds of bounty in the seas, we are ridiculously gun shy of so many kinds of wonderful seafood imo. Whether it's down to the fish on Fridays hangups, or generations of Irish Mammys who knew sweet eff all about how to jazz up seafood, it's a very under utilized resource imo. Dirt cheap too, if you know where to go/shop/fish. Scallops go very well in pasta also. My other half makes a great garlic & pesto linguine, with baby corn, diced tomato & seared scallops.

I have read that to encourage catching seafood that it was fish on Monday, Wednesday & Friday in the decades around the famine.

The problem back then was that they often had to sell their boats, nets etc to pay the rent.

QuoteScallops - cook them in garlic, ginger, lime juice and fresh chillis. Serve on top of black pudding with a dollup of butter over the top. Magnificent.

That sounds amazing.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Re chicken on the bone.
Cut the chicken up by removing the legs and wings and the 2 breasts. Put some oil in a pan and heat it then throw in the wings and legs to get all the fat onto the pan. Cook for 5 minutes. The result is what Jews call schmaltz. It is glorious.
Remove the legs and wings. Fry a chopped onion and a bit of garlic in the schmaltz for 5 minutes then add back the wings and legs and enough water to cover everything and cook for 20 mins. You can add nuts or lemon or honey or whatever you like. After 20 mins the chicken is cooked. You can whizz the gravy. The brown meat tastes great in this recipe.

leenie

Quote from: Hound on April 16, 2016, 11:16:03 PM
Quote from: leenie on April 16, 2016, 04:17:17 PM
Birdseye crispy pancakes (got wile food poisoning ended up in hospital)

90% of desserts especially triffle

Chicken on the bone

Baileys
Okay that's 2 people who said they don't like "chicken on the bone". So presumably you like chicken if someone takes it off the bone for you?

That makes you even more stupid than the thicks that like their steaks cremated

Stupid ? Or just everyone to their own

I take my steak medium rare ... It's the taste and look of the skin part the attaches the chicken to the bone that turns me...  But love chicken
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Boycey

Quote from: leenie on April 19, 2016, 11:02:36 AM

Chicken on the bone

Baileys
Okay that's 2 people who said they don't like "chicken on the bone". So presumably you like chicken if someone takes it off the bone for you?

I take my steak medium rare ... It's the taste and look of the skin part the attaches the chicken to the bone that turns me...  But love chicken

Amen to that... I love chicken but would also shy away from the meat around the bone. The colour and texture just turns me off it

ziggysego

Quote from: leenie on April 19, 2016, 11:02:36 AM

Chicken on the bone

Baileys

Far be it from me to agree with a doll from *****, but I have to on this occasion.
Testing Accessibility

leenie

I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Keyser soze

Mods!!!! Get this man banned rapido!!

snoopdog

Heineken. Pure pish. Never understand how it is so popular, I suppose the power of advertising and the rugby bandwagon.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Keyser soze

Quote from: muppet on April 19, 2016, 04:52:01 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on April 19, 2016, 04:19:42 PM
Mods!!!! Get this man banned rapido!!

But who would be the mod then?

What are you implying? Surely not that Ziggy is in fact a mod?? And has blatantly broken his own rules???

O  M  G what an appalling vista  ;D

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility