Colm O'Rourke vs. the GPA

Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 15, 2014, 11:21:21 AM
GPA have contacted all their members to compile a list of the things they have done for them over the past few years - to answer brolly's article last week.

This all feels like a really bad dose of handbags.

MWWSI 2017

lynchbhoy

Quote from: muppet on November 16, 2014, 03:44:04 PM
GPA have contacted all their members to compile a list of the things they have done for them over the past few years - to answer brolly's article last week.

Apparently there are a lot of good things that the GPA have done for players and ex players.
So they want to create a list of these to demonstrate that the GPA re doing good and valid work.
I know of a couple of instances where they have done great things for ex players

but it still doesn't and wont go far enough for most people - folk want transparency. they want to know selection criteria on how certain players get awards. There is help available to current and former players through the GPA but how to obtain this is lacks clarity or any procedure on how to contact GPA, or what GPA can do for current/former players and what is available to them.

You don't need a PR company to do it either. just send around an email with info to every county board and every captain or contact in a county team. Ive been told that lads from certain counties don't and wont contact the GPA for help as they have no idea they can, who to contact or what they can do for them!!

JoG2

Surely the GPA would have a list of what they have done for players? Why the need for a whole song and dance? Their PR department must me run by 6th formers

Bingo

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 18, 2014, 04:43:32 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 16, 2014, 03:44:04 PM

Apparently there are a lot of good things that the GPA have done for players and ex players.
So they want to create a list of these to demonstrate that the GPA re doing good and valid work.
I know of a couple of instances where they have done great things for ex players

but it still doesn't and wont go far enough for most people - folk want transparency. they want to know selection criteria on how certain players get awards. There is help available to current and former players through the GPA but how to obtain this is lacks clarity or any procedure on how to contact GPA, or what GPA can do for current/former players and what is available to them.

You don't need a PR company to do it either. just send around an email with info to every county board and every captain or contact in a county team. Ive been told that lads from certain counties don't and wont contact the GPA for help as they have no idea they can, who to contact or what they can do for them!!

If they produce a list of the good things they have done for players (current and ex), we may go down the road and ask every county board, every club, every GAA supporter/sponsor who has helped out a player be it with work, scholarships, coaching jobs, support, help etc etc. It would be an extremely long list.

The GPA haven't invented the wheel but they seem to have convinced themselves they have in this area.

Rossfan

I see GPA bashing is back in vogue.
I'm surprised ye're not all attacking the Intl rules this week  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

theskull1

Quote from: Rossfan on November 18, 2014, 05:33:00 PM

What does that even mean?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Jinxy

Quote from: Rossfan on November 18, 2014, 05:33:00 PM

In my defence, I forgot it was on.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hound

Ive been told that lads from certain counties don't and wont contact the GPA for help as they have no idea they can, who to contact or what they can do for them!!

Its gas that you can put up any old nonsense on the interweb, and people will lap it up.

Are you making this up yourself lynchbhoy or it it just you being gullible enough to believe nonsense spouted to you?

Please list the counties involved where GPA members don't know who in the GPA they can contact?

Because every member in every county is given full and comprehensive information on this.

Jinxy

Jesus, we should be sending our biggest, toughest referee.
Was David Coldrick not available?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hound on November 19, 2014, 01:04:35 PM
Ive been told that lads from certain counties don't and wont contact the GPA for help as they have no idea they can, who to contact or what they can do for them!!

Its gas that you can put up any old nonsense on the interweb, and people will lap it up.

Are you making this up yourself lynchbhoy or it it just you being gullible enough to believe nonsense spouted to you?

Please list the counties involved where GPA members don't know who in the GPA they can contact?

Because every member in every county is given full and comprehensive information on this.

Doesn't every county squad have a GPA rep?

macdanger2

What are the criteria for becoming a member?? If you're part of a panel for the Jan competitions, is that enough? Or does it have to be league / championship??

lynchbhoy

conversely put up the counties that know how to contact the GAP and have!
my source was a former intercounty player who has availed of the services of the GPA - and what he availed of was top drawer.
he contended though that he was lucky as he had played often against Dublin and knew how to get in contact with Dessie.
otherwise he hadn't a clue.
Chap played in an All Ireland final. Was a fairly accomplished and respected player. Decent guy too and not a bulls*ter - so I would believe what he says.
you can believe what you like. I know this guy isn't spinning any lie - he spoke in glowing terms of the GPA and what they offered, but believed they PR was lacking (the PR on how services provided and how to contact GPS- not the self pr from some).

Zulu

I wouldn't know who to contact about a few things but a quick google or perhaps a phone call to a friend would sort out a lot, just because every player doesn't have Dessie's number on speed dial is a nothing story. This is another example of lads here looking for any reason to have a little dig at the GPA, most likely because they have a problem with them representing IC players only and therefore anything that is less than perfect is worth criticising. It's a strange obsession in many ways considering they are there to help IC players and do that. They are just about the last thing we should be concerned about in the GAA but if it helps pass the winter for you boys crack on.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Zulu on November 19, 2014, 04:04:34 PM
I wouldn't know who to contact about a few things but a quick google or perhaps a phone call to a friend would sort out a lot, just because every player doesn't have Dessie's number on speed dial is a nothing story. This is another example of lads here looking for any reason to have a little dig at the GPA, most likely because they have a problem with them representing IC players only and therefore anything that is less than perfect is worth criticising. It's a strange obsession in many ways considering they are there to help IC players and do that. They are just about the last thing we should be concerned about in the GAA but if it helps pass the winter for you boys crack on.
Sounds good but in reality only those that have a neck or that know Dessie/lads in GPA would initiate contact.
That's what this player told me. He had a good player friend insist he rang the GPA.
Only for that he wasn't going to!
He didn't know he could or what was on offer!
This isn't a dig!
It's that they aren't properly promoting themselves!

ck

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 19, 2014, 06:48:41 PM
Quote from: Zulu on November 19, 2014, 04:04:34 PM
Sounds good but in reality only those that have a neck or that know Dessie/lads in GPA would initiate contact.
That's what this player told me. He had a good player friend insist he rang the GPA.
Only for that he wasn't going to!
He didn't know he could or what was on offer!
This isn't a dig!
It's that they aren't properly promoting themselves!

Sure they are too busy in NYC on "fundraising trips" to pay for their salaries, no time to be promoting themselves!