Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downtothewire

Quote from: thewobbler on June 13, 2019, 05:22:20 PM
Quote from: gaaman2016 on June 11, 2019, 02:41:37 PM
On starred fixtures, as there is an odd number of teams in the divisions, does a team that has a bye on a starred round not get an unfair advantage?

An omelette needs a few broken eggs. 10 team top flights next year will free up weekends and make less need for starred games.

I'd guess CCC knew in advance they'd have to pull this week's fixtures, and trying to star them was a hopeful punt. But as far as I know there's no limit to the games that can be starred, as long as the championship match is within a week of a league round.

With 11 team leagues 1 team had a bye and it would have been unfair to star games.

Feckmylife

There is a county bye law which states that the county board are only allowed to star so many games in the season
[/quote]

This used to be the case but somewhere along the way the county board somehow did away with this rule. It used to be a maximum of 5 starred games. In 2017 there were 8 games starred which obviously didn't go down well with some clubs. I think since then they have stuck to Croke Park guidelines of games can only be starred if they are within 6 days of a qualifier.

Targetman

Rumours about that Caolan Mooney and Connaire Harrison are going to be playing club football in London very soon, and through in Jamie Clarke all for the same team!!

Square Ball

Quote from: Targetman on June 18, 2019, 06:56:56 PM
Rumours about that Caolan Mooney and Connaire Harrison are going to be playing club football in London very soon, and through in Jamie Clarke all for the same team!!

Read that earlier on

http://www.theirishworld.com/armagh-all-star-nominee-jamie-clarke-joins-neasden-gaels/
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Lecale Gael

wont affect Down v mayo game.
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

Leftmidfield

Ballyholland  0.11 CPN 1.11 tonight

Lecale Gael

2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

Smurfy123

Fancy Mayo by 5:6 points at least but who knows. If you had of asked me after the Louth match it would have been 20 points but big improvements made. Gives a good day so I would expect 10000 at the match?
Kilcoo fairly stuttering this year what's going on? Nobody is setting the world alight in division 1 but that result gives Downpatrick a chance at avoiding automatic relegation

Lotto

The silence before the Mayo game is nearly as bad as the silence afterwards. Our 'big' players really let us down today. Mc Kernan is well and truly finished costing us dearly both at the back and going forward, Harrison was well held, O'Hare was anonymous like he has been all Summer, Darren gave us so much as always but was rash and got a stupid black. Mooney kept us in the show and was the only man going direct. Our keeper is still a disaster, costing us scores again today and I wonder does the manager ever get anyone to practice frees. The huge investment, financially, in Tally has shown a limited improvement this year but he has blooded a number of new players who will benefit from their experience and I still need to be convinced that this way of playing football is best for us and suits the players we have available to play it. In must say that I have never seen a Down team yap as much at referees, umpires and linesmen in my life.  I mean, it's a mans game, get on with it you were doing the same to Mayo and they never questioned anything. Mayo gave us a lesson in this respect and our players have alot to learn with Tally's Tyrone tactics certainly not working today.

4/10 for the year and I can't see us getting out of Division 3, if the changes then go through for the championship by my reckoning we will in a 'B' championship next year.

DuffGael

Not the game I was at. Down,  a division 3 team competed with one of the top 4 teams in the country.while Mayo were the better team we had our chances to win it and every man involved with Down should be proud of their efforts. We are going the right way.  An Dun Abu

Smurfy123

I was critical of paddy after the first national league but the turnaround in his team has been brilliant. They play with so much heart and desire it's a joy to watch. They play some fantastic football too. If Francis had of taken that goal it was a one point match and that's only one if 4 goal chances that we had. Down are moving in the right direction and it has been along time coming. It has been a while since I was excited about a young squad with a great future  ahead and with a great under 20 team finally this county can look forward with some optimism. Well done lads

snoopdog

ftp://

Last night was frustrating with the free taking and so many poor wides. We let a great chance of beating Mayo go last night. . I think we gave them 1.02 from poor kickouts. I think we are going in the right direction. Need to unearth more talent. The never say die attitude is a breath if fresh air. Previous Down teams wouldve lay down when mayo got the goal but these guys kept at it and poor finishing cost them. Hopefully it will give them the hunger to improve again next year. Have to get out of a competitive div 3 next year and tgat won't be easy.
Best of luck to the U20s today against Antrim in Clones.

KeyboardWarrior645

Quote from: Lotto on June 22, 2019, 11:48:11 PM
The silence before the Mayo game is nearly as bad as the silence afterwards. Our 'big' players really let us down today. Mc Kernan is well and truly finished costing us dearly both at the back and going forward, Harrison was well held, O'Hare was anonymous like he has been all Summer, Darren gave us so much as always but was rash and got a stupid black. Mooney kept us in the show and was the only man going direct. Our keeper is still a disaster, costing us scores again today and I wonder does the manager ever get anyone to practice frees. The huge investment, financially, in Tally has shown a limited improvement this year but he has blooded a number of new players who will benefit from their experience and I still need to be convinced that this way of playing football is best for us and suits the players we have available to play it. In must say that I have never seen a Down team yap as much at referees, umpires and linesmen in my life.  I mean, it's a mans game, get on with it you were doing the same to Mayo and they never questioned anything. Mayo gave us a lesson in this respect and our players have alot to learn with Tally's Tyrone tactics certainly not working today.

4/10 for the year and I can't see us getting out of Division 3, if the changes then go through for the championship by my reckoning we will in a 'B' championship next year.

You are one clown

Nanderson

Unlucky for Down last night. Worth pointing out that this is a 3 year project and i feel far more confident in Down after this year than at the end of last year. Think Tally is going for a similar approach that McGuinness did with donegal in 2011 and working on perfecting his defensive play this year and then hopefully work on the attacking play next year.
Any one got a line up for the u20 game this morning. Very excited to see a number of these guys in the senior team next year, including Kerr, Middleton, Annett, Hazzard

Aristo 60

Corey Quinn is some man to leave on the bench for 50 minutes. He awareness, positioning and passing, not to mention his 2 points, were something else. Was it just me or did everything he touch turn to gold for us?

I watched only him for a few minutes after he came on and in that short time I came to the conclusion that he can be one of our best in the years to come and has a football brain second to none.