The Power Base of Mayo Football.

Started by An Gaeilgoir, July 30, 2007, 11:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: the Deel Rover on October 23, 2010, 10:18:06 AM
Quote from: stephenite on October 22, 2010, 07:47:39 PM
Between 1995 and 2007 3 clubs within a 10 mile radius won 12 of the 13 Senior titles on offer, that's a power base. Talk to us in 10 years time and we'll see how your 'Greater Castlebar' measures up :P

aye and they played in 5 ai club finals . in fairness the rivalry was unreal

Looking back, I don't think I appreciated it at the time. Some savage games

spuds

Quote from: stephenite on October 23, 2010, 10:22:24 AM
Between 1995 and 2007 3 clubs within a 10 mile radius won 12 of the 13 Senior titles on offer, that's a power base. Talk to us in 10 years time and we'll see how your 'Greater Castlebar' measures up :P

Savages  ;)
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

the Deel Rover

it was unreal Stephenite, the atmosphere before the game, the tension in the dressing room ,the smell of deep heat, footballs been hammered of the wall  legs feeling like jelly running out onto ithe cross,ballina or knockmore pitch supporters beside you on the pitch encouraging you or hurling abuse jesus it would make the hair stand on the back of your head . i know a lot of the players invovled would have a lot of mutual respect for each other and would have no trouble in having a pint talking about the old days.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: spuds on October 23, 2010, 10:38:31 AM

Nordie Mayo Savages  ;)   :D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

stephenite

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 23, 2010, 10:47:18 AM
Quote from: spuds on October 23, 2010, 10:38:31 AM

Nordie Mayo Savages  ;)   :D

Savages with medals

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: the Deel Rover on October 23, 2010, 10:38:37 AM

it was unreal Stephenite, the atmosphere before the game, the tension in the dressing room ,the smell of deep heat, footballs been hammered of the wall  legs feeling like jelly running out onto ithe cross,ballina or knockmore pitch supporters beside you on the pitch encouraging you or hurling abuse jesus it would make the hair stand on the back of your head . i know a lot of the players invovled would have a lot of mutual respect for each other and would have no trouble in having a pint talking about the old days.

It was a great rivalry all right and these teams did dominate Mayo, it was great to see them follow in Mitchels footsteps and reach All-Ireland's eventually winning a few, there was a bit of a swing East too Ballaghadereen and Charlestown to though.

Hopefully Mitchels and Ballintubber can be the top senior rivalry of the future and teams in the West of the County will thrive.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

the Deel Rover

it goes like that mayogodhelpus sometimes your club might be lucky enough to get a bunch of lads who know nothing but how to win  (they have won everthing all the way up through underage )  then throw in a few older lads in to the mix and hay presto country champions . In fairness it great to win a county title and i have been reading what some of the players have been saying and the training invovled And dedication  but to stay competetive for 10-12 years take a serious amount of work
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

moysider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on October 23, 2010, 10:38:37 AM

The venues played a part too. Smaller intimate grounds. You would never get the same raw atmosphere in Castlebar. At least I dont think you could but sure we ll find out tomorrow.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 21, 2010, 08:39:12 PM
Power base of Mayo Club Football is surely Greater Castlebar now.

Is Westport included in the "Greater Castlebar area" ::)

muppet

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on October 24, 2010, 01:48:34 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 21, 2010, 08:39:12 PM
Power base of Mayo Club Football is surely Greater Castlebar now.

Is Westport included in the "Greater Castlebar area" ::)

That's 'Lesser Castlebar'.
MWWSI 2017

sans pessimism

This years final pairing in the senior c/ship would suggest a shift in the power base to the West(for now!)
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

moysider

Quote from: sans pessimism on October 05, 2011, 06:30:32 PM
This years final pairing in the senior c/ship would suggest a shift in the power base to the West(for now!)

It may be for some time! And this is 2 years in a row.

Both North Mayo semi- final teams were poor shadows of former teams and in the case of Knockmore I can t remember ever seeing a less scarier team from the club. I suppose Ballina surprised a few getting as far as they did at all, because they looked very poor earlier in the year. Worryingly, in the past, when Ballina got to the semis or final they usually won. They went down soft enough this time.

I haven t seen enough of Cross lately but it looks like the other 2 have a bit to do now to get back up there. Both sides will probably lose a couple of veterans as well.

Farrandeelin

Knockmore will lose veterans...and not so old veterans as well according to reports.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

sans pessimism

Still lads ,North clubs have had some run!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

moysider

Quote from: sans pessimism on October 05, 2011, 09:23:57 PM
Still lads ,North clubs have had some run!

They had and I believe they all underachieved as well. Both Ballina and Cross had the winning of more than 1 AI and Knockmore will always regret not winning one. The fact that Knockmore has lost 4 finals since winning their last is bound to hurt as well. They used to make a habit of winning.