Some people have nothing better to do

Started by Boolerhead Mel, September 12, 2008, 10:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 13, 2008, 04:54:35 PM
I'd say Derek Hussey wasn't "in the workplace" (I'm not in the country right now so didn't see the report in question, just going by various reports online) during the interview, however in an interview about the impact of symbols in the workplace, and in public in general, the wearing of a jacket associated with a team that has a reputation (not fairly) of... well this crap has been gone through several times.
He was interviewed outside, on a showery day, just 48 hours after a rain-soaked NI match which he almost certainly attended (he's a regular, afaik). The simplest explanation is that when approached for the interview, he already had the jacket on, having had it out to wear on the Wednesday. In which case, he was hardly going to take it off and be interviewed in his shirt sleeves in the open air; indeed, he might not even have thought about what he was wearing.
Moreover, he didn't really say anything very inflammatory - and especially not about Tyrone/GAA; from my recollection, he merely stated that the relevant legislation needs to be enforced equally, which in this case meant withdrawing the Tyrone flag.
Anyway, does this mean that if its acceptable for Derek to wear a N.Irish soccer jacket in such an interview, was it OK for Pat Doherty to put together an election poster that featured several gaelic football personalities from Tyrone posing with him with them wearing GAA jersies back in 2001? As far as I see it, I struggle to tell the difference...
Hardly comparing like with like. As a local representative, Hussey was approached for his views on a topical matter, which he gave in a relatively uncontroversial manner. In doing so, he was not being endorsed by the IFA or any NI players, on a wet day he just happened to have on a particular jacket which anyone can buy, from a variety of outlets, without the IFA having any control over it.
Whereas, Pat Doherty was actively campaigning for an election when he chose specifically to associate himself, for personal gain, with a particular sport/set of personalities. Tbf to Doherty, I guess he is entitled to do so - after all, all politicians will engage in this sort of thing, given the chance.
However, what I do find objectionable is that the GAA  should allow their players to associate themselves, in their team colours, with any particular political party. Fair enough, I suppose, if they do so as private individuals (even though we all know that they're more than that!), but I have never heard of any current soccer player doing so and am sure it would be frowned upon by the game's authorities if any were to attempt to do so.
BTW Is Derek related to Omagh Councillor Ross Hussey? Never met Derek, but Ross is a man who I'd have time for.
No idea, but on the odd occasion when I've heard Derek speak, he's never seemed particularly extreme to me.

Late Edit: I've just seen that Ross and Derek are brothers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Hussey
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 13, 2008, 05:24:51 PM
Now that I've explained myself please withdraw your allegation.
Which part of "No f**king chance" did you not understand? (Oh and btw, your 'explanation' was nothing of the sort, since it doesn't correspond with what you posted at the time over that incident.)
You owc boys have called me bigotted/sectarian a few times now (even NIfan has done it which I was quite shocked about at the time)
Well, either we (including the normally most moderate Nifan) are all ganging up on you specifically, or you are. Take your pick.
is this the only reason why? 
Not for me, it's not.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

pintsofguinness

QuoteWhich part of "No f**king chance" did you not understand? (Oh and btw, your 'explanation' was nothing of the sort, since it doesn't correspond with what you posted at the time over that incident.)
What did I say at the time - a lot of other posters assumed something was said - what did I say specifically that makes you call me a bigot?

QuoteNot for me, it's not.
So what's the other reasons?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Evil Genius

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 13, 2008, 06:23:24 PM
QuoteWhich part of "No f**king chance" did you not understand? (Oh and btw, your 'explanation' was nothing of the sort, since it doesn't correspond with what you posted at the time over that incident.)
What did I say at the time - a lot of other posters assumed something was said - what did I say specifically that makes you call me a bigot?
Look it out for yourself - I couldn't be bothered.
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 13, 2008, 06:23:24 PM
So what's the other reasons?
I can think of up to 5,402 reasons... ::)

Listen, I've made my views abundantly clear - you can accept them or not. Other readers may do the same. The Mods may also do so, including banning me if they feel I've contravened the Forum Rules. If I don't care for bigots, I'm hardly going to care what they (bigots) think of me.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

pintsofguinness

Calling me a bigot and being unable to tell me why says a lot more about you than it does about me. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

gerry

Quote from: ziggysego on September 12, 2008, 04:14:12 PM
Sad news indeed, especially when you consider in 2003 and 2005 the local Unionist MLA said he like seeing the Tinnies dressed up in the Tyrone colours. What happened in them short years?

i  am afraid your wrong ziggy as i was working in strabane at the time and some of the unionist councilors were not happy.  they only went up in 2005 after the last council meeting before the final so the council would not have had time to vote to take them down,

Unionist gets shirty over 'GAA sculpture'

National News Home
Search Query: Independent.ie Web Search Advanced search

Thursday September 25 2003
AN Ulster Unionist councillor saw red . . . and white yesterday after statues in a Tyrone town were decked out in county GAA jerseys.

Strabane councillor Derek Hussey said kitting out the sculptures in the All-Ireland finalists' colours was an act of cultural supremacy.

The five figures in the 'Let The Dance Begin' sculpture, each 18ft high in stainless steel and bronze, are known locally as 'The Tinnies'.

Designed by award-winning sculptor Maurice Harron they were unveiled in December 2000. The theme is traditional music, dancing and harmony.

Now members of Strabane's Sigerson's GAA club have placed extra large Tyrone GAA shirts and scarves on 'The Tinnies'.

"We feel they are a landmark in the town plus the fact that a local company, O'Neill's Sportswear, are making the jerseys for both Tyrone and Armagh for the final - what better way to mark a local product than to put it on a local landmark," said club member Aidan Harkin.

"It should be seen in a fun, sporting context to show our support for the county team and I have had nothing but a great reaction to it," he added.

Cllr Hussey said: "I know it is a unique sporting occasion, an all-British All-Ireland final, but the hysteria that has developed around the whole event is intimidatory to some people."
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

dodgy umpire

Quote from: gerry on September 13, 2008, 10:01:42 PM
Cllr Hussey said: "I know it is a unique sporting occasion, an all-British All-Ireland final, but the hysteria that has developed around the whole event is intimidatory to some people."

:D :D  what a quick wit aul hussey must be. how many of the tyrone and armagh players were carrying the queens passport in that british final played in dublin?

The Boys in Red and Black are back

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 15, 2008, 08:52:21 AM
Quote from: dodgy umpire on September 14, 2008, 02:20:47 PM

:D :D  what a quick wit aul hussey must be. how many of the tyrone and armagh players were carrying the queens passport in that british final played in dublin?

Doubt they would be carrying any passports considering they wouldn't have needed them obviously. And in any case, its no one's business what passport they may have, be it UK, Irish, both or in Ricey's case, maybe a Canuk one also.

you do know i was taking the mick with my post? to carry a passport implies that you have the passport, but not neccesarily on your person. hussey said it was an all british final, i was jesting in saying i doubt there were too many brits on the field.
The Boys in Red and Black are back

KCGaelicFootball

Quote from: dodgy umpire on September 15, 2008, 06:02:27 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 15, 2008, 08:52:21 AM
Quote from: dodgy umpire on September 14, 2008, 02:20:47 PM

Doubt they would be carrying any passports considering they wouldn't have needed them obviously. And in any case, its no one's business what passport they may have, be it UK, Irish, both or in Ricey's case, maybe a Canuk one also.

you do know i was taking the mick with my post? to carry a passport implies that you have the passport, but not neccesarily on your person. hussey said it was an all british final, i was jesting in saying i doubt there were too many brits on the field.

brits shits
ta se mor

Evil Genius

I see you're out there, Donagh, so any chance of a simple answer to my simple questions on this topic (Post #52, Sept.12th, 04.35 pm):

1. Do you support Sinn Fein's policies on neutral workplaces (flags, emblems etc)?
2. If so, do you think that it was correct to remove the Tyrone GAA flag from the work carpark, as was done in this case?

Or do you still prefer to sidestep the hard "tackles", like Gareth Edwards on Acid... ;)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

KCGaelicFootball

Quote from: Evil Genius on September 16, 2008, 01:55:13 PM
I see you're out there, Donagh, so any chance of a simple answer to my simple questions on this topic (Post #52, Sept.12th, 04.35 pm):

1. Do you support Sinn Fein's policies on neutral workplaces (flags, emblems etc)?
2. If so, do you think that it was correct to remove the Tyrone GAA flag from the work carpark, as was done in this case?

Or do you still prefer to sidestep the hard "tackles", like Gareth Edwards on Acid... ;)

I am not Donagh I do think that it was wrong to remove the Tyrone flag I personally think that tyrone sucks and they will not win the all Ireland too. But it is wrong to remove it, just  like a while back Paisly that old fecker god I hope he bites it soon and takes a dirt nap, he forbid the tri-colour from shops in the north. But then its bloody ok to paint every fecking round about the same goddam color of the union jack.
ta se mor

Rois

Tinnies stripped. . . if young Unionists get their way, much to the fury of the district's Tyrone enthusiasts

By Conor Sharkey (Strabane Chronicle)

STRABANE'S Tinnies may have pulled on their Tyrone jerseys for the last time, following a complaint from the Mid-Ulster Young Unionist Party.

A row over the public displaying of Tyrone regalia has been brewing since last Wednesday, when a local civil servant was ordered to remove a flag from her car as it had offended another employee.

The controversy stepped up a notch at the weekend when the Chair of Mid-Ulster Young Unionists Ryan Moses accused Strabane Council of blatantly endorsing 'intimidation' against Protestants by allowing the 'Let the Dance Begin' sculptures to be decked out in Tyrone's colours.

Castlederg's Mr Moses added that it was unacceptable that the Tinnies had been "defaced with GAA sportswear" and questioned whether Orange Sashes would be deemed acceptable, come July 12.

The Chronicle contacted Mr Moses on Monday, asking that he join us on the streets of Strabane to point out just exactly what it is that intimidates him and his party. The Mid-Ulster Young Unionist Chairman at first accepted our invitation, however he then became 'unavailable' on Monday, Tuesday and indeed Wednesday.

The Tinnies were first kitted out when Tyrone reached the All -Ireland final back in 2003. A joint effort between O'Neills Sportswear and Sigersons GAA Club, the huge jerseys have courted light-hearted media attention from across the globe.

Earlier this week however, sport and the North's politics collided once again, a collision which will almost certainly spell the end for the traditional dressing of the Tinnies.

On Monday, councillors were informed that Mr Moses had lodged an official complaint and that as a result, legislation on the issue would have to be reviewed.

The man who first dreamed up the Tyrone Tinnies idea, Aodhan Harkin, said he was disgusted that Mr Moses had chosen to politicise an issue which should essentially unite the county.

"This is nothing but pure, petty sectarianism and if Strabane Council do bow to this complaint, then they are only pandering to someone making stupid comments.

"With regards to whether sashes can be put up on July 12, I would say to Mr Moses go right ahead. You are more than welcome to put the sashes up but I don't know how long they will stay there.

"For years the GAA has done its damndest to remove politics from the sport. They have bent over backwards to accommodate all sections of the community, but listening to the comments made by Ryan Moses, I'm not sure his problem is with the Tinnies at all.

"He has made it abundantly clear that his problem is with Strabane town. If he wants to play politics, then let him stand for election and he can air his grievances in the chamber of Strabane District Council.

"As a sporting body, we aren't interested in anything he has to say and our only concern is that Tyrone win on Sunday," Mr Harkin added.

Ulster Unionist councillor Derek Hussey was reluctant to become involved in the controversy, saying only that he understood the point Mr Moses was trying to make because of "the perceived connotation and connection that the GAA movement would have with a political aspiration."

The MLA added that it was likely Mr Moses was expressing the views of many young unionists but that he also understood the controversy had now put Strabane Council "in a trying circumstance".

Hardy

Quote from: Rois on September 18, 2008, 05:03:09 PM

Castlederg's Mr Moses ... questioned whether Orange Sashes would be deemed acceptable, come July 12.

Why are they continually let away with positing this spurious equivalence between the Orange Order and the GAA? Does the GAA organise supremacist rallies and exist solely to oppose toleration of a particular religion? Orange sashes, marches and the rest of their anti-Catholic sectarian stuntery are not acceptable anywhere, anytime and are a cancer in the community. Sport, on the other hand, is a force for good in the community.