2019 Joe McDonagh Cup

Started by Mossy Bruce, March 10, 2019, 06:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Quote from: MasterJ on May 29, 2019, 04:30:19 PM
Eanna Lyons not going as well as he was doing in league.
Would a rake of laps help do you reckon? Maybe a public flogging?

MasterJ

burdizzo

In fairness, he is just back from a serious injury, and often in that scenario it's hard to rediscover your form "just like that". However, the good thing is that we have options in the forwards.

Mossy Bruce

I was looking into the promotion/relegation procedure between the Joe McDonagh Cup and Leinster Championship and was surprised to see there is automatic promotion and relegation--no type of play off, at all. With the current strength of the top four counties in Leinster, I can see Laois, Westmeath, or (in 2021) Carlow being promoted to the Leinster Championship, lasting one year, then being relegated again--over and over. With the current setup, it is unlikely that any Joe McDonagh Cup winner can last in Leinster for more than one year--at least for the foreseeable future. There really needs to be a relegation/promotion match.

(Unless Galway implodes without Joe Canning.)
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on May 30, 2019, 09:26:14 PM
I was looking into the promotion/relegation procedure between the Joe McDonagh Cup and Leinster Championship and was surprised to see there is automatic promotion and relegation--no type of play off, at all. With the current strength of the top four counties in Leinster, I can see Laois, Westmeath, or (in 2021) Carlow being promoted to the Leinster Championship, lasting one year, then being relegated again--over and over. With the current setup, it is unlikely that any Joe McDonagh Cup winner can last in Leinster for more than one year--at least for the foreseeable future. There really needs to be a relegation/promotion match.

(Unless Galway implodes without Joe Canning.)

Correct and right. Maybe some sort of seeding system that counts league and championship performance might work. Tough one to crack. Provincial championship dying a slow death anyway.

Mossy Bruce

What branch of the GAA comes up with competition structure changes (like automatic promotion/relegation and the hideously stupid, new structure for NHL, Division 1) and when do they do this? Are there records available that show the discussions (pros and cons) and proceedings for these?

I'd love to be able to grasp the logic the GAA has for some of these structural changes.  ???
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Giovanni

A lot of excellent questions in there...

Mossy Bruce

I just downloaded the "Official Guide - Part 1" (a hefty tome). I found a small part of my answer on page 112:
"The regulations governing the composition, timing, promotion, relegation, play-offs and all other matters pertaining to the National Hurling and Football Leagues, shall be decided by the Central Council, on the advice of the Central Competitions Control Committee."

I'm going dig in a little further to see what I can find.

Edit added:
"3.47 The Central Competitions Control Committee
(a) It shall consist of a Chairperson and one member from each of the four Provinces, appointed by the Management Committee."

Well, it looks like there's lots of representation of the smaller hurling counties, here.  :(

And a little more from an article published two months ago:

“In other words the new format [for league—and, in my opinion, Leinster] pretty much insulates the top counties from relegation.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/seán-moran-next-year-s-hurling-league-change-is-regressive-and-unfair-1.3839509
[you might have to copy and paste this URL as the link from here won’t work.]

LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

smcder

Gaa now (is it?). Stream Joe mcdonagh cup games now. Offaly antrim on tomorrow and  tg4 showing the final live

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: smcder on June 01, 2019, 12:33:18 AM
Gaa now (is it?). Stream Joe mcdonagh cup games now. Offaly antrim on tomorrow and  tg4 showing the final live

As far as I've seen, GAA Now has video of bits of highlights (none longer than 2 minutes or so) but I have yet to see anything close to a full match on it. (I do appreciate some highlights as it is better than nothing.)
https://www.gaa.ie/gaa-now/

Definitely, looking forward to seeing the final live (and seeing a certain county in it).
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

smcder

Was sure woolie said on his hurling podcast they were streaming it.
After looking at the site and can see nothing about it though

SpeculativeEffort

With the mcdonagh  final, leinster final and munster final all on the same day I hope they use their head and let all hurling followers be able to see all 3. Why not put games at 1pm, 3pm and 5pm. Croke park games at 1 and 3 then show munster final on the big screen in croke park at 5?

South Laois man

Won't happen. That would make too much sense.

MasterJ

Quote from: South Laois man on June 01, 2019, 02:15:52 PM
Won't happen. That would make too much sense.

Haha so true!

But antrim v offaly is currently live here:https://www.gaa.ie/gaa-now/

redsetanta

If they are streaming the games why the lack of any highlights on Sunday game? Ffs the cameras are there!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi